NBA 2018: Fear the Deer

Jaime L

7 minutes ago, DMC said:

Well, that would be very clear tampering, and subject to penalty.  So, not sure how to answer that question.

Shrug, rules should still be applied regardless, but I don't really feel that there is an outrage factor. Davis knows he is wanted practically everywhere and teams trading for him just have to make themselves attractive and signal their intentions.

I mean, the Clippers are nudging and winking so hard at Kawhi this year that there is an ESPN article about it. There is no substantial difference. The Lakers have the clearest channel, but everyone is broadcasting the same message.

I would be a lot more offended if it was a mid tier star with more limited destinations, but Davis is a top tier star and telling him you want him doesn't affect anyone's bargaining power, and everyone else is trying to attract him anyway.

19 minutes ago, Proudfeet said:

I mean, the Clippers are nudging and winking so hard at Kawhi this year that there is an ESPN article about it. There is no substantial difference.

Yes there is.

I really don't get why some of you are so upset. Player agency in a GOOD thing, imho. Sure we probably don't want all the stars clumping together, but the reality is they will regardless, so allowing the guys that want to play together to maneuver into positions which allow them to do so is just fine with me, when it comes to parity on top of the NBA team power rankings. It's certainly better than having ONE super team. 

10 hours ago, Proudfeet said:

I think he is the ideal third option and just a very good second option. You probably need another player good with the ball as your second option, otherwise you would also need a team comprised of very well rounded players. Which is to say the Warriors before Durant.

Yes, the pre-Durant Warriors were a very deep team with a lot of talented role players to round out the stars of Curry, Green and Thompson.  But remember that the 90s Bulls had a lot of talent beyond just Jordan and Pippin as well.  Maybe not as good as Green/Iguodala/Livingston/Bogut/Barnes, but still a very talented bunch. 

But what makes Thompson noteworthy is that very very few NBA stars are actually at their best as complementary players.  Lebron is awesome, and he'll make his teammates better, but he needs the ball to do it.  Likewise Durant, Curry, Davis, etc.  But Thompson is at his most lethal running without the ball, and that is a rare skill indeed.  Combine that with a well rounded skillset of passing, rebounding and defense, and you have an ideal player for forming a superteam.  Just like Pippin. 

3 hours ago, Relic said:

fixed this for you

Why would Rich Paul care about bailing out Jeanie Buss?  LeBron has been sabotaging her since last year when he tried to get Like Walton fired while still playing for the Cavs.

10 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Yes, the pre-Durant Warriors were a very deep team with a lot of talented role players to round out the stars of Curry, Green and Thompson.  But remember that the 90s Bulls had a lot of talent beyond just Jordan and Pippin as well.  Maybe not as good as Green/Iguodala/Livingston/Bogut/Barnes, but still a very talented bunch. 

But what makes Thompson noteworthy is that very very few NBA stars are actually at their best as complementary players.  Lebron is awesome, and he'll make his teammates better, but he needs the ball to do it.  Likewise Durant, Curry, Davis, etc.  But Thompson is at his most lethal running without the ball, and that is a rare skill indeed.  Combine that with a well rounded skillset of passing, rebounding and defense, and you have an ideal player for forming a superteam.  Just like Pippin. 

I don't disagree with you, but I think that that skill set is not suited to be the second best player. I think that you need a second ball handler.

For example, assuming Wall is healthy, I think that if you were to trade Thompson for Beal or Wall, the team would be worse. He's basically a better Ariza. Just my two cents anyway, I would defer to your expertise.

20 minutes ago, Proudfeet said:

I don't disagree with you, but I think that that skill set is not suited to be the second best player. I think that you need a second ball handler.

For example, assuming Wall is healthy, I think that if you were to trade Thompson for Beal or Wall, the team would be worse. He's basically a better Ariza. Just my two cents anyway, I would defer to your expertise.

Any team is going to be better with Thompson as the third banana rather than the #2 (or ridiculously, the #4 player like he is on GSW).  But Thompson is as good or better than the second best player on some teams that won a championship, like the 2011 Mavs, the 2013 Heat or the 2016 Cavs. 

1 hour ago, briantw said:

Why would Rich Paul care about bailing out Jeanie Buss?  LeBron has been sabotaging her since last year when he tried to get Like Walton fired while still playing for the Cavs.

LeBron didn't put this team together. Steering Davis to LA, as you put it, would be to "bail out" management who made some really shitty decisions in the past....8 years, really. 

Why would LeBron need to be "bailed out"? You're such a hater, lol

20 minutes ago, Relic said:

LeBron didn't put this team together. Steering Davis to LA, as you put it, would be to "bail out" management who made some really shitty decisions in the past....8 years, really. 

Why would LeBron need to be "bailed out"? You're such a hater, lol

Again, Rich Paul doesn't give two shits about Lakers management.  LeBron is his meal ticket.

And he needs to be bailed out because the Lakers are a bad team that is in serious danger of missing the playoffs, especially if LeBron misses any more time.  Further, all of their assets have decreased in value since the summer.  Well, except their draft pick I guess.

That's why you're seeing this push for Davis now.  LeBron is getting frustrated and is using his agency leverage to try to get it.

4 hours ago, briantw said:

Again, Rich Paul doesn't give two shits about Lakers management.  LeBron is his meal ticket.

And he needs to be bailed out because the Lakers are a bad team that is in serious danger of missing the playoffs, especially if LeBron misses any more time.  Further, all of their assets have decreased in value since the summer.  Well, except their draft pick I guess.

That's why you're seeing this push for Davis now.  LeBron is getting frustrated and is using his agency leverage to try to get it.

LeBron to LA never made sense at the time and less so now.  The fact that the roster was hot garbage before does not make it valuable now.  I feel bad for Julius Randle, he pulled a Kurt Russel and managed to Escape From LA only to wind up in New Orleans where all the dudes that underwhelmed out there will be joining him.

2 hours ago, Maithanet said:

I agree Thompson is a fantastic complimentary player to a superstar. Maybe the ideal one for one who loves being completely ball dominant. Probably Kobe's dream teammate. And he's probably the most low maintenance guys in history, both on and off the court.

But I think Kawhi is actually the Pippen analogue of this generation.

Both are on the short list of greatest perimeter defenders of all time and either can be a #1 on a very good team or a #2 on an all world team. It's why I wanted to see Kawhi team up with Lebron as I don't think a better on court sidekick exists (off court, well....). 

I think Proudfeet was getting at this, but the difference between Klay and Pippen is Pippen could also handle some of the ball handling/playmaking load to allow Jordan to rest both in and out of the game. No superstar can do every single thing to create offensively for his team (though James Harden is doing his best effort to try this year) so having that secondary playmaker is vital. Although in fairness in terms of playmaking Pippen was a 6 APG guy and Kawhi is only 3. But Kawhi can also self-create in a way Klay (and even Pippen) couldn't which is the kinda skillset I think you want in your #1 or your #2. 

1 minute ago, Rhom said:

LeBron to LA never made sense at the time and less so now.  The fact that the roster was hot garbage before does not make it valuable now.  I feel bad for Julius Randle, he pulled a Kurt Russel and managed to Escape From LA only to wind up in New Orleans where all the dudes that underwhelmed out there will be joining him.

Well, it didn't make sense if you assume he made the decision solely on basketball.  It makes more sense when you consider he's planting the seeds for his post-NBA Hollywood career, which is why he chose LA, as that's where he plans to live after he retires so he can act and produce.  

The most baffling thing to me was that he signed a deal that locks him in for three years before he can get out of it, which effectively kills any leverage he might have had to force the Lakers into making moves.  The Lakers can afford to be patient because they know LeBron isn't going anywhere, but it's obvious that LeBron is starting to get frustrated, as is par for the course for him in January/February.  Remember, he was actively throwing games for the Cavs last year around this time to force them to make some trades.

10 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

I agree Thompson is a fantastic complimentary player to a superstar. Maybe the ideal one for one who loves being completely ball dominant. Probably Kobe's dream teammate. And he's probably the most low maintenance guys in history, both on and off the court.

But I think Kawhi is actually the Pippen analogue of this generation.

Both are on the short list of greatest perimeter defenders of all time and either can be a #1 on a very good team or a #2 on an all world team. It's why I wanted to see Kawhi team up with Lebron as I don't think a better on court sidekick exists (off court, well....). 

I think Proudfeet was getting at this, but the difference between Klay and Pippen is Pippen could also handle some of the ball handling/playmaking load to allow Jordan to rest both in and out of the game. No superstar can do every single thing to create offensively for his team (though James Harden is doing his best effort to try this year) so having that secondary playmaker is vital. Although in fairness in terms of playmaking Pippen was a 6 APG guy and Kawhi is only 3. But Kawhi can also self-create in a way Klay (and even Pippen) couldn't which is the kinda skillset I think you want in your #1 or your #2.

Thompson isn't quite as good with the ball as Pippin or Leonard, but he's capable enough.  It's just that he is never asked to do that (in fact he is actively encouraged not to do it, since if there's any ball handling to do beyond Curry + Durant, Green definitely wants it). 

And while I love Kawhi's game, I didn't include him as the ideal complimentary player just because his personality doesn't seem like a great fit for being second banana to anybody.  Although who really knows, since Kawhi never talks. 

1 hour ago, Jaime L said:

Trade deadline could be lit. 

ETA: NM, Wow  

Yeah... that was fast.  I saw a thing from "Fake SportsCenter" a couple hours ago and didn't think much of it... and now BAM there it goes.

I'll admit, I don't know much about Wesley Matthews and Dennis Smith, but this looks like a terrible trade for the Knicks.  What are they doing?  Is this just about creating cap room?  Because trading your best long term player for cap room is pretty rough on the ol' fanbase. 

Archived