NBA 2018: Fear the Deer

Jaime L

2 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

I'll admit, I don't know much about Wesley Matthews and Dennis Smith, but this looks like a terrible trade for the Knicks.  What are they doing?  Is this just about creating cap room?  Because trading your best long term player for cap room is pretty rough on the ol' fanbase. 

Wesley Matthews is likely a buy out candidate. Smith has a lot of talent and is an immense athlete but is still pretty raw in all the things you want him to be good at (shooting, defense, distributing). Really looks like this was made because Porzingis wanted out, Smith Jr was someone they liked a lot in the draft and they freed up enough cap space for 2 max slots next year. Combine that with a potential top 3 pick of Zion/Barrett/Morant + Knox, maybe they see some hope? I don't know. Knicks fans pretty pissed.

1 minute ago, briantw said:

So did the Knicks just accept the first offer they got for the dude?  Because we went from him meeting with the Knicks to him wanting a trade to him being traded over the course of like two hours lol.

This must have been worked on for a bit. I doubt it came together this fast.

Who is the max deal free agent this summer that won't sign with the Knicks, but the front office thinks there's hope for? KD?

Is this just about clearing cap space for him?

You trade your best asset - and probably your second best non-draft pick asset in Tim Hardaway, for Dennis Smith, DeAndre Jordan, and cap relief?  Can't find a better offer than that?  Fucking ridiculous.

2 minutes ago, Mexal said:

This must have been worked on for a bit. I doubt it came together this fast.

Yeah, but man...I feel like they could have gotten more.  

It seems the point of this is to open up a ton of cap space, but the Knicks haven't been able to attract anyone worth a damn in decades, so not sure how viable that strategy is.  Maybe they can get Kyrie?  

1 minute ago, Mexal said:

Wesley Matthews is likely a buy out candidate. Smith has a lot of talent and is an immense athlete but is still pretty raw in all the things you want him to be good at (shooting, defense, distributing). Really looks like this was made because Porzingis wanted out, Smith Jr was someone they liked a lot in the draft and they freed up enough cap space for 2 max slots next year. Combine that with a potential top 3 pick of Zion/Barrett/Morant + Knox, maybe they see some hope? I don't know. Knicks fans pretty pissed.

But weren't people saying that the Knicks were a team Durant was considering, and that Porzingis would be a good fit with him?  Am I just imagining that second part?  I dunno, I'm always SUPER skeptical of teams clearing up a ton of room for cap space on the assumption that multiple all stars are about to sign with them.  That has worked out exactly once (Miami) and blown up in the face of a whole bunch of teams, including the Knicks.  If all you have to offer is cap space, you don't have much.

Even if they get luck and draft Zion, is that really going to interest Durant?  Throwing away the end of your prime while a superstar young talent finds his legs in the league?  Even an absolute dream scenario of Kyrie + Durant + Zion is probably not really built to win a championship right away and an awkward fit of talent to boot. 

1 minute ago, Maithanet said:

But weren't people saying that the Knicks were a team Durant was considering, and that Porzingis would be a good fit with him?  Am I just imagining that second part?  I dunno, I'm always SUPER skeptical of teams clearing up a ton of room for cap space on the assumption that multiple all stars are about to sign with them.  That has worked out exactly once (Miami) and blown up in the face of a whole bunch of teams, including the Knicks.  If all you have to offer is cap space, you don't have much.

Also worth noting that the Miami one was clearly planned ahead of time by both the three guys involved and Miami.  

4 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Even if they get luck and draft Zion, is that really going to interest Durant?  Throwing away the end of your prime while a superstar young talent finds his legs in the league?  Even an absolute dream scenario of Kyrie + Durant + Zion is probably not really built to win a championship right away and an awkward fit of talent to boot. 

I hear you. I don't know what happened. If Porzingis was unhappy and forced the hand, doesn't matter if Porzingis is a good fit with Durant or not. What annoys me most about that is Porzingis is the super star who's been hurt for a season and half. The reason they are losing is partly due to him and partly due to some horrible contracts signed before yet he's blaming the organization.

As for clearing cap space, you're right. Either they know something we don't or they're making a move that's going to massively backfire like all Knicks moves do. I'd take odds on the latter.

That being said, a team of Kyrie, Durant, Zion/Barrett, Knox, Smith + some pieces could be fun to watch and compete in the East. But literally everything would have to go right for that to happen and knowing the Knicks, absolutely zero chance it does.

I don’t think this deal is as bad as it looks. We have no idea where KP’s health is at, and it’s possible the Knicks fear that he won’t work out long term. In return they got another young player with upside, freed up cap space and increased their chances of drafting a guy who could have a generational impact. Sucks for the short term, but it things break right it could be a huge plus over the next decade.

16 minutes ago, Mexal said:

That being said, a team of Kyrie, Durant, Zion/Barrett, Knox, Smith + some pieces could be fun to watch and compete in the East. But literally everything would have to go right for that to happen and knowing the Knicks, absolutely zero chance it does.

Not absolute zero, just, like, .0001%.  Obligatory:

2 minutes ago, Relic said:

WHAT THE FUCK???????????????????????????????????????????????????

I thought of you immediately when I saw the news... are you in a safe place?

Archived