NBA 2018: Fear the Deer

Jaime L

6 minutes ago, Relic said:

silver lining - at least im not also a mets fan.

fuck the nba. 

Dude, the trade isn't as bad as it feels. Sure you're punting for a few years, but it can turn out really well. Besides, ask yourself this: Are you confident in signing KP to a long term, high dollar deal? Because I wouldn't be. 

10 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Dude, the trade isn't as bad as it feels. Sure you're punting for a few years, but it can turn out really well. Besides, ask yourself this: Are you confident in signing KP to a long term, high dollar deal? Because I wouldn't be. 

STFU. KP obviously cant stay on the court, and i wouldnt mind trading him for potential equal value, since he's a top 15 player when healthy, but to trade him for the next JR Smith and a bag of soiled diapers is just insane. Punt for a few years? WE HAVE BEEN PUNTING FOR 18 YEARS. Your takes suck. 

7 minutes ago, Relic said:

but to trade him for the next JR Smith and a bag of soiled diapers is just insane.

I agree the trade is shit, but I don't think Dennis Smith and JR Smith have that much in common other than the last name.  And being professional basketball players.  Ok, maybe they have a lot in common, but they're different players.

21 minutes ago, Relic said:

STFU. KP obviously cant stay on the court, and i wouldnt mind trading him for potential equal value, since he's a top 15 player when healthy, but to trade him for the next JR Smith and a bag of soiled diapers is just insane. Punt for a few years? WE HAVE BEEN PUNTING FOR 18 YEARS. Your takes suck. 

Dude, KP isn't close to breaking into the top 15. He was having a very good year last season before he got hurt, but so far he's a career 18/7 big with an above average shot. That has potential to translate into a top 15 player, but he could just as easily turn into a nice player if he's your third option. And it's not like you didn't get anything back. Smith had a very solid rookie year, it's just that he can't play along side Luka, the new face of the franchise, which makes him disposable for the Mavs. You also got two first round picks, which could translate into nothing or possibly something special. All in all, it's not the end of the world, and KP by himself was not going to get you anything more than a first round playoff knockout. 

Stupid Magic beat the Pacers for no apparent reason.  When it comes to Oladipo, things just never seem to break Orlando's way.  I'll be here all night folks, with Norm MacDonald reading a newspaper.

9 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Dude, KP isn't close to breaking into the top 15. He was having a very good year last season before he got hurt, but so far he's a career 18/7 big with an above average shot. That has potential to translate into a top 15 player, but he could just as easily turn into a nice player if he's your third option. And it's not like you didn't get anything back. Smith had a very solid rookie year, it's just that he can't play along side Luka, the new face of the franchise, which makes him disposable for the Mavs. You also got two first round picks, which could translate into nothing or possibly something special. All in all, it's not the end of the world, and KP by himself was not going to get you anything more than a first round playoff knockout. 

This IS the same thread that mocked me for saying I would trade KP for Jaylen Brown and Jason Tatum last year, isn't it?

Look, I agree with some of what you said about KP. However, he's still a blue chipper on potential alone, and had the Knicks been fucking patient I have zero doubt they could have gotten more for him than Smith (who will never be an all star), cap space, and two picks that will likely be in the high 20s.

The caveat here is this - if the Knicks turn around and use this cap space to sign Kyrie and KD while drafting Zion I'll take back everything I said last night. But let's face it, its the Knicks. We'll likely bomb out in Free Agency, get the 6th pick in the draft, and suck forever. 

Edit - Nate Duncan agrees with you. zzzzzzzzzzz

https://pca.st/BNkK

This feels like an overreaction Relic. They're finally tanking now properly. They've opened two max slots so they must have some clear intel that KD/Irving are coming. I think you have to trust the organiza---

If anyone needs me, I'll be at the store. 

I generally turn off my ESPN radio stream in my office after lunch until Finebaum comes on (because SEC... you know...) but today, something tells me that Stephen A Smith is going to be must listen radio.  :lol:

It sounds like there’s real unrest in Boston thinking Kyrie is going to New York... my God.  If the Knicks really did pull off Kyrie, KD, and draft pick du jour... in the East?!!?

But why would Kyrie want to move to New York???  It’s not a better situation than Boston.  I’m so confused.

5 minutes ago, Rhom said:

It sounds like there’s real unrest in Boston thinking Kyrie is going to New York... my God.  If the Knicks really did pull off Kyrie, KD, and draft pick du jour... in the East?!!?

But why would Kyrie want to move to New York???  It’s not a better situation than Boston.  I’m so confused.

He grew up in New Jersey. Besides that, beats me.

Knicks aint getting Kyrie or KD but if they do its for 2 reasons, and 2 reasons only. Massive media market, and MSG, The Mecca of Basketball, the greatest arena and best court in all of basketball.

1 hour ago, Jaime L said:

This feels like an overreaction Relic. They're finally tanking now properly. They've opened two max slots so they must have some clear intel that KD/Irving are coming. I think you have to trust the organiza---

If anyone needs me, I'll be at the store. 

I DID have a minor freakout last night, but I dont feel any better about things today. This trade did not have to happen before the deadline. 

45 minutes ago, Rhom said:

I generally turn off my ESPN radio stream in my office after lunch until Finebaum comes on (because SEC... you know...) but today, something tells me that Stephen A Smith is going to be must listen radio.  :lol:

I always keep the first segment on after Le Batard with the hope that he loses his mind in the first five minutes. It’s usually a 50/50 chance that he does, but today you know he’s going to meltdown.

The weirdest part of the trade is if they liked Dennis Smith Jr., they coulda just drafted him last year. They took Frank Ntilikina, a guy who plays the same position as Dennis Smith Jr., one pick ahead of DSJ. It's like they want a mulligan. 

Also, today, Kyrie isn't dispelling the rumors that he's going to the Knicks so seems like that legitimately may happen. Of course he's another PG. You could maybe play 2 of 'em together but not all 3. 

Imagine if they just drafted Donovan Mitchell that year to be their SG instead of giving Tim Hardaway Jr. the massive contract they had to use KP to dump.

3 hours ago, Rhom said:

Kyrie demanded a trade from a team that was a lock to make the Finals.  Don't think winning is his number one priority.  He's got a ring, and I think that's enough for him.

Archived