NBA 2018: Fear the Deer

Jaime L

13 hours ago, Relic said:

This IS the same thread that mocked me for saying I would trade KP for Jaylen Brown and Jason Tatum last year, isn't it?

I honestly don't recall, but I would never do that deal if I was Boston (and Boston is looking really dumb for not being willing to package the two of them for AD in the offseason).

Look, I agree with some of what you said about KP. However, he's still a blue chipper on potential alone, and had the Knicks been fucking patient I have zero doubt they could have gotten more for him than Smith (who will never be an all star), cap space, and two picks that will likely be in the high 20s.

The caveat here is this - if the Knicks turn around and use this cap space to sign Kyrie and KD while drafting Zion I'll take back everything I said last night. But let's face it, its the Knicks. We'll likely bomb out in Free Agency, get the 6th pick in the draft, and suck forever. 

The day before KP got hurt I think you could argue that he was one of the five most valuable young players in the NBA, or at least on the verge of being that. But a huge guy with a knee injury would scare me. The Knicks' goal this year is to attract at least one high end FA in a year where there will be several of them available. What they can't have is their best player indicating that he does not want to be with the the team. And by all accounts, it sounded like KP was going to sign a one year qualifying offer and then bounce with nothing to show for him. Furthermore, he could have came out and looked terrible, reducing his trade value. Did you get equal value? No, unless one of those draft picks turns into a high lottery pick. But what you did get is a restart with the potential to have an instant turnaround. You'll know in less than half a year if the was a disaster, one of the greatest moves ever engineered or something in between. Frankly I think getting Zion alone makes this deal not hurt at all, but if you can him or the other dude from Duke plus some combination of Kyrie, Klay or KD then you won the 2019 offseason. 

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

. Frankly I think getting Zion alone makes this deal not hurt at all, but if you can him or the other dude from Duke plus some combination of Kyrie, Klay or KD then you won the 2019 offseason. 

We can keep this on ice till the off season. But, one thing. If we get Zion it would have happened regardless of this trade. And given the track record of top shelf free agents signing with the Knicks I'm not holding my breath for KD. As per Netw3rk, we're lucky if it's a Boogie + Tobias Harris off-season. 

Kyrie when asked before tonight’s Boston v NY game if he still plans to sign with the Celtics this summer “Ask me again on July 1.”

Yeah... that’s not going to sit well.

Im loving seeing two smaller market franchises, the Bucks and the Nuggets, sitting, at the top of their respective Conference standings through some 50 odd games of this season. Also Toronto and OKC having high playoff hopes, Indy has to be hurt by losing Olapaido(sp) though and Boston looking like the underperformer of the season thus far.

The season has been anything but scripted, would be nice if we could finally get some playoffs other than a ZZZZZ's fest that leads to another GS ring. http://www.espn.com/nba/standings

On 2/1/2019 at 3:21 PM, briantw said:

Kyrie demanded a trade from a team that was a lock to make the Finals.  Don't think winning is his number one priority.  He's got a ring, and I think that's enough for him.

I think Kyrie wanted to win on his terms, being the number one guy on the team, not LeBron's sidekick, and Celtics had a good foundation to join. Although, as Bill Simmons' has pointed out, Kyrie doesn't seem to be handling being the number one guy that well. Maybe he's okay again with teaming up with one the greats, and he seems to have burned so many bridges with his current teammates that bringing a max FA to the Celtics probably doesn't seem as appealing to him as going somewhere else. 

If that's the case, there's only a limited number of teams that make sense for him. Ironically, the Lakers are one of them, but, even though he seems to be on better terms with LeBron, I doubt he goes there. The Knicks, if they actually get another max guy, would probably be the best option.

I just have my doubts that it works out, because, well, it's the Knicks.

3 minutes ago, Fez said:

Ironically, the Lakers are one of them, but, even though he seems to be on better terms with LeBron, I doubt he goes there.

I will say that, as someone who had to sit through LeBron's trademark ridiculous drama the past four years, I'm enjoying seeing another team deal with it.  At least Cavs fans took solace from the fact that, while the regular seasons felt like a death march, we were at least a lock for the Finals every year.  

4 hours ago, briantw said:

I will say that, as someone who had to sit through LeBron's trademark ridiculous drama the past four years, I'm enjoying seeing another team deal with it.  At least Cavs fans took solace from the fact that, while the regular seasons felt like a death march, we were at least a lock for the Finals every year.  

Yeah must have been SOOO hard for you watching the best player in NBA history take you to 4 straight NBA finals. Winning the title by beating a total Dynasty of a team in an amazing game 7 sucked really bad for you too.

Your hatred is starting to be...scary.

1 hour ago, Relic said:

Yeah must have been SOOO hard for you watching the best player in NBA history take you to 4 straight NBA finals. Winning the title by beating a total Dynasty of a team in an amazing game 7 sucked really bad for you too.

Your hatred is starting to be...scary.

Watching the Cavs in the regular season the past four years was pretty awful.  Rarely gave effort.  Coasted most games.  Didn't even pretend to try on defense.  They simply relied on the belief that LeBron would flip the switch in the postseason, which he did.  It's inherently frustrating to watch a team with one of the best rosters in the league give inconsistent effort from night to night.  You never knew if you were going to get the worldbeater Cavs or the Cavs who couldn't be bothered. 

The Cavs in the playoffs, of course, were awesome to watch because they actually looked like they gave a shit.  Once LeBron flips that switch, he's absurd.  Don't really see how anyone can deny that drama follows LeBron.  It's a fact.  This is the third coach he's tried to get fired in the past nine years, and he's probably about to be two out of three.  

9 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Im loving seeing two smaller market franchises, the Bucks and the Nuggets, sitting, at the top of their respective Conference standings through some 50 odd games of this season. Also Toronto and OKC having high playoff hopes, Indy has to be hurt by losing Olapaido(sp) though and Boston looking like the underperformer of the season thus far.

The season has been anything but scripted, would be nice if we could finally get some playoffs other than a ZZZZZ's fest that leads to another GS ring. http://www.espn.com/nba/standings

I am thrilled.  Not that I expect anyone but GS to win this thing, but to see the Nuggets flirting with the 1 seed this far into the year has been a joy.  I know not a lot of people have seen them play, and one of the national games was a blowout loss to the Rockets, but Denver is no joke.  I already loved Joker going into this year but thought he had a pretty real ceiling; I am no longer sure that is the case.  He is taking over games late and scoring almost at will.  His passing continues to amaze and perhaps most amazing is that his conditioning is allowing him to put up minutes I never though he could.  The two bench guards (Beasly and Morris) are going to make a lot of money in the league and Murry will flirt with all-star nods through his career.

I want to touch on the conversation above.  I can't discount the regular season from a fan's standpoint, I loved the Melo years in Denver.  Yes, I want to see a championship but the reality of the NBA has always been that for most teams an exciting regular season and maybe a playoff series win is the ceiling.  And when you lose that...man basket ball sucks.  So I do get how Cleveland fans could have become frusterated the last few years.

53, 57, 51, 50.

That's how many games the Cavs won each year with LeBron in his second go around. Aside from the final year, the one in which the Cavs made an absolutely horrible trade, basically giving Kyrie away, how was that team not consistent? What kind of spoiled ass fan decries 53 and 57 wins? 

Does LeBron take nights off? For sure. And with good reason. The dude has been to NINE straight NBA Finals and has played an extra season and a half in post-season appearances alone. That's insane for a man who has been as durable and CONSISTENT as he has. So yeah, some nights he's gotta coast to savehimself for the important things, like the fucking finals, which you reached every single year. 

Sorry, Brian, I'm sticking with my hater theory. 

This shit is why having Dolan as your owner is so fucking bad, why the Knicks will never sign a quality free agent while Dolan is there, and why this trade was so so so stupid. What is the upside for the Knicks here? Dolan is a thin skinned vindictive little dick pimple of a billionaire and no one wants to play for him. Fuck James Dolan with a pineapple. 

2 hours ago, Relic said:

This shit is why having Dolan as your owner is so fucking bad, why the Knicks will never sign a quality free agent while Dolan is there, and why this trade was so so so bad. 

I've always kind of wondered why Dolan hasn't tried to hire Yankees president Randy Levine.  They'd be perfect for each other, and as a Yankees fan and not a Knicks fan, it'd be great for me.  (If you don't know why I'm bringing up Levine in this context, google "Randy Levine Dellin Betances.")

13 minutes ago, Relic said:

Meh, they are playing for a shot at the Finals. The Process is over.

That's kind of where I come down on it... I just worry if The Process didn't end a year or two early.  It all really depends on what happens with Golden State after this season.  Losing KD will obviously just bring them down to where they were when they won their first title and set the league record for regular season wins.  :lol: But if they do manage to lose Klay too, then there might be a chance for a changing of the guard.

I think giving up their own pick in '20 might be the only part of the assets that they could regret.  The Heat pick has always seemed an asset to trade for a max-type guy which Harris might be.  There's an outside chance they may regret dealing Shamet in the future, I think he could develop into an Ariza type shooting role player.  :dunno: 

1 minute ago, Rhom said:

That's kind of where I come down on it... I just worry if The Process didn't end a year or two early.  It all really depends on what happens with Golden State after this season.  Losing KD will obviously just bring them down to where they were when they won their first title and set the league record for regular season wins.  :lol: But if they do manage to lose Klay too, then there might be a chance for a changing of the guard.

I don't think a post-Durant GSW will be nearly as good as they were in 2015 and 2016.  Part of what made that team so good was their astonishing depth,with guys like Iguodala, Livingston, Bogut and Barnes making significant contributions on (comparatively) modest salaries.  Maybe they can find role players willing to take a salary cut for a chance at a ring, but I wouldn't count on it.  And while Iggy and Livingston are both still on the team, they're aging out of effectiveness (livingston will be almost 35 in the 2020 playoffs, Iggy will be 36). 

I actually kind of hope that Green, Curry and Thompson do stay together for another 5 years.  They might be good enough to win another championship after Durant leaves, but they might not.  And that's what pisses me off the most about the Durant trade, it wasn't sportsmanlike.  As soon as he signed, we could just say "if they stay healthy, nobody is beating them".  The Rockets got closer than I thought anybody would last year, but they still lacked the depth and health to finish GSW off.  And this year, with Cousins?  fuggedaboutit. 

32 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

I actually kind of hope that Green, Curry and Thompson do stay together for another 5 years.  They might be good enough to win another championship after Durant leaves, but they might not.  And that's what pisses me off the most about the Durant trade, it wasn't sportsmanlike.  As soon as he signed, we could just say "if they stay healthy, nobody is beating them".  The Rockets got closer than I thought anybody would last year, but they still lacked the depth and health to finish GSW off.  And this year, with Cousins?  fuggedaboutit. 

Agreed. I've heard people argue that dynasties are good for sports, they make people more interested in watching (either to see them succeed again or to root for them to fail). But I think they are just boring (and with the relatively low Super Bowl ratings this year, I think some people may be feeling the same way about the Pats dynasty in the NFL). In individual sports, like golf, tennis, swimming, track, etc., I think a single dominant competitor can help the sport, because people are interested in just seeing this one person do awe-inspiring stuff that seems impossible for the human body. But in team sports, if there's not a legitimate rivalry for the top team, it's dull.

The Bill Russell Celtics were an even more impressive dynasty than the current Warriors, but at least they had Wilt Chamberlin to push them to their limits most years, and even beat them once.

Archived