Jaime L

NBA 2018: Fear the Deer

okc/philly - man that was entertaining. 

3 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

When Klay gets hot, he gets really hot. 

:stunned:

I've just seen the clip of Curry falling over then air balling a 3 pt attempt. Brilliant. 

Why do teams trade players to Chicago to waive? Is that some cap requirement that does not allow them to do so themselves?

2 hours ago, Proudfeet said:

Why do teams trade players to Chicago to waive? Is that some cap requirement that does not allow them to do so themselves?

The Rockets saved $2.6 million in their luxury tax bill by trading him to Chicago rather than waiving him themselves.

Looks like Oladipo might be done for the year.  That sucks.

On 1/22/2019 at 1:35 AM, BigFatCoward said:

When Klay gets hot, he gets really hot. 

Klay posts some of the funniest "unusual" stats I've ever seen. IIRC, when he scored 60 points, the ball was only in his hand for 90 seconds. He scored over 40 points in a game and dribbled the ball four times. Curry is the greatest shooter ever, but Klay might be the best catch and release shooter ever. 

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

Harden is in the zone like a mother f'er. 

61 points on 25% shooting from three. I wonder where those points came from......

Jokes aside, how can he sustain this? He has to be a demigod every night for the Rockets to have a chance. I'd be worried he gets hurt at this rate.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Klay posts some of the funniest "unusual" stats I've ever seen. IIRC, when he scored 60 points, the ball was only in his hand for 90 seconds. He scored over 40 points in a game and dribbled the ball four times. Curry is the greatest shooter ever, but Klay might be the best catch and release shooter ever. 

61 points on 25% shooting from three. I wonder where those points came from......

Jokes aside, how can he sustain this? He has to be a demigod every night for the Rockets to have a chance. I'd be worried he gets hurt at this rate.

Or be burnt out when it counts. 

Pour one out for V.O. Really shitty injury

There are a lot of insane Harden numbers to pull out, but I’ll just drop this one to start: In the last 5 games, playing with basically a bench team, Harden is averaging about 44 ppg.

In those 5 games not one single point he’s scored was assisted. He created every single shot by himself.

He is literally taking the hardest shots in basketball, and making them, and he’s been doing it so consistently for so long it’s not something we can call a streak or a wave anymore. This is some version of who he is, pushed to an extreme by circumstance. Hopefully the load will lighten considerably when Paul comes back, and longer term Capella etc., but they have needed everything he’s been giving them. I never in my wildest dreams would have thought they could win like this playing without the guys they’re without and with the guys they’re with. Guys who are waived by other teams are getting 35 minutes/night walking in. 

I know you guys don’t like him aesthetically, but what he’s doing is insane, and pretty unprecedented in the modern era. Last night he had the first 60/15 night since prime Shaq, as a point guard. He’s scoring more points than the rest of his team on less than half the shots AND assisting on most of theirs. It’s just...it’s numbers that don’t make sense.

Edited by James Arryn

1 hour ago, James Arryn said:

There are a lot of insane Harden numbers to pull out, but I’ll just drop this one to start: In the last 5 games, playing with basically a bench team, Harden is averaging about 44 ppg.

In those 5 games not one single point he’s scored was assisted. He created every single shot by himself.

He is literally taking the hardest shots in basketball, and making them, and he’s been doing it so consistently for so long it’s not something we can call a streak or a wave anymore. This is some version of who he is, pushed to an extreme by circumstance. Hopefully the load will lighten considerably when Paul comes back, and longer term Capella etc., but they have needed everything he’s been giving them. I never in my wildest dreams would have thought they could win like this playing without the guys they’re without and with the guys they’re with. Guys who are waived by other teams are getting 35 minutes/night walking in. 

I know you guys don’t like him aesthetically, but what he’s doing is insane, and pretty unprecedented in the modern era. Last night he had the first 60/15 night since prime Shaq, as a point guard. He’s scoring more points than the rest of his team on less than half the shots AND assisting on most of theirs. It’s just...it’s numbers that don’t make sense.

I think Harden may be morphing into the greatest bad team/great stats guy.  The Rockets needed his 61 to beat one of the worst teams in the league.  Congrats Houston!  You are on your way!

7 hours ago, James Arryn said:

Harden and Westbrook were in the Pac-12 as freshman the same year, and they did quite well.  But I'll be damned if anyone said that they saw this coming in either case.  

By the way, what ever happened to OJ Mayo?  Pretty sure he was an immensely bigger recruit than either of these fools.  

6 minutes ago, Triskele said:

Harden and Westbrook were in the Pac-12 as freshman the same year, and they did quite well.  But I'll be damned if anyone said that they saw this coming in either case.  

By the way, what ever happened to OJ Mayo?  Pretty sure he was an immensely bigger recruit than either of these fools.  

Mayo got suspended from the league for cocaine use. He did not make it back after the suspension. 

9 minutes ago, Triskele said:

I seriously underrated him coming out/early on. He’s the type I tend to miss on. 

To throw more numbers out there, the difference between Harden and the number 2 scorer in the league KD) is the difference between Durant and the 16th/or 17th best scorer in the league, depending which way you round. To put that into more perspective, MJ had that kind of gap in his rookie year and never again came close, with his next biggest margin being about 3.5 ppg.

20 minutes ago, Triskele said:

He was.  I remember thinking he could have the chance to be the next Penny when he came out of high school.

Not sure i can scream too loud at the starters.  I would have put AD above George personally.  And Olidipo/Walker may have been a debate but that hardly matters now.

It will be seeing who is left off the final list thay will be interesting.  There will be some really good players in the West who get left off.

13 hours ago, Tinker said:

Mayo got suspended from the league for cocaine use. He did not make it back after the suspension. 

He was also picked up by the Grizzlies on draft night, which has been a voodoo curse for every player in the history of the franchise except Pau Gasol, Mike Conley and maybe Jaren Jackson Jr, although it's really too early to tell with JJJ.

What a dumpster fire that organization has become in just a few short years. Absentee owner (who's also kind of an oddball, even for a pro sports owner), awful GM (bad trades, worthless draft picks, abysmal contracts), and shitty handling of coaches to boot. They recently said they're open to trading Mike and Marc, which is nice, but should've happened a couple of years ago while both had more tread on the tires. 

Edited by Ferrum Aeternum