Jaime L

NBA 2018: Fear the Deer

10 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Heard a painful stat yesterday. During the 2016-17 season, Wiggins averaged 23.6 points per game. He has yet to score more than 23 points this season.

Good timing.

3 hours ago, Slurktan said:

Tonight is why the Raps have no fears of Philly.  Jv and Ibaka just utterly destroyed Embiid.

Or Jimmy Butler stole his soul. :leaving:

Meanwhile, LeBron is starting to do the heavy lifting for the Lakers. Didn't think he would have started so early. I guess missing the playoffs is really not an option. Might hurt the development of the young Lakers though.

Definitely looks like the Lakers will be making the playoffs, and at this point people begin to think, could they be one of the 3 best teams in the West, alongside GS and OKC?

Because in a series, would you but on the Nuggets/Clippers to beat this LeBron-led Laker team? I wouldn't.

Question is though, who's going to be added to that team to make it a real contender.

If Lebron takes this hot garbage roster to a top three seed in the West, he should be named unanimous MVP for the rest of his career.

7 hours ago, Calibandar said:

Because in a series, would you but on the Nuggets/Clippers to beat this LeBron-led Laker team? I wouldn't.

I'll take any team with LeBron on the roster in a seven game series over any NBA team but the Warriors.

Edited by briantw

12 hours ago, Rhom said:

If Lebron takes this hot garbage roster to a top three seed in the West, he should be named unanimous MVP for the rest of his career.

Or the West only has one really good team. 

if I were doing a personal MVP list for this season so far I'd consider:

Davis

Durant

Curry

LeBron

Leonard

Outside of that top 5 I could see some other candidates emerging as the season develops in certain ways, which would be Westbrook, Giannis, maybe Irving.

Would be very tough to choose from that top 5. The problem for Durant and Curry is that they eat into each other's chances, a lot. At this point I'd go with Kahwi Leonard over the rest because he basically is that Raptors team ( the rest of the guys are all decent supporting players but not above average, which is a possible concern for Toronto come free agency next summer, because Kahwi could find a support cast like this in several other places). AD has been tremendous but the Pelicans aren't good enough for him to win an MVP.

Edited by Calibandar

Raps go in to Golden State on the second night of a back to back without Kawhi and crush the healthy rested Warriors. 

On 12/6/2018 at 2:09 PM, briantw said:

I'll take any team with LeBron on the roster in a seven game series over any NBA team but the Warriors.

This notion seems silly to me. For instance, last year’s Rockets took GSW to 7 (and would have won were it not for the infamous 27 missed 3s) whereas GSW straight up swept the Cavs. Would you have taken the Cavs over last year’s Rockets (with a healthy CP3)? That’d be a crazy take imo, those two teams were nowhere near each other, Bron and all. This year, there are several teams aside from the Warriors, including a few from the East, that I think could certainly take the LeBron-led Lakers in a series (although the difference is not as a great as the example I gave from last year).

I will say though that looking at this Cleveland team this year shows you just how damn good Bron was last year. People were trying to say that everyone was downplaying the rest of the team last year, but honestly... that team outside of him had no business being in the playoffs, let alone the finals.

2 hours ago, IamMe90 said:

This notion seems silly to me. For instance, last year’s Rockets took GSW to 7 (and would have won were it not for the infamous 27 missed 3s) whereas GSW straight up swept the Cavs. Would you have taken the Cavs over last year’s Rockets (with a healthy CP3)? That’d be a crazy take imo, those two teams were nowhere near each other, Bron and all. This year, there are several teams aside from the Warriors, including a few from the East, that I think could certainly take the LeBron-led Lakers in a series (although the difference is not as a great as the example I gave from last year).

I will say though that looking at this Cleveland team this year shows you just how damn good Bron was last year. People were trying to say that everyone was downplaying the rest of the team last year, but honestly... that team outside of him had no business being in the playoffs, let alone the finals.

We're not talking about last year's Rockets, though.  Last year's Rockets no longer exist.  This year, I'll take LeBron in a seven game series over anyone but the Warriors.  

And even last year, I think LeBron probably finds a way to beat the Rockets if they make the Finals.  Harden is a notorious big game choker and Paul is always hurt by the end of the year, whereas LeBron is an absolute savage in big games at this point in his career and is a cyborg who is never injured.

Edited by briantw

2 hours ago, briantw said:

We're not talking about last year's Rockets, though.  Last year's Rockets no longer exist.  This year, I'll take LeBron in a seven game series over anyone but the Warriors.  

And even last year, I think LeBron probably finds a way to beat the Rockets if they make the Finals.  Harden is a notorious big game choker and Paul is always hurt by the end of the year, whereas LeBron is an absolute savage in big games at this point in his career and is a cyborg who is never injured.

Don't overlook the Raptors. They're the best team in the league right now, and LeBron hates playing against Kawhi more than any other player in the NBA. 

2 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Don't overlook the Raptors. They're the best team in the league right now, and LeBron hates playing against Kawhi more than any other player in the NBA. 

To be honest, I've watched them play once, as I usually don't start watching non-Cavs games until around when the NBA season actually starts around Christmas.  And you're right, Kawhi is about as close a thing to a LeBron stopper as exists in this league.  Kawhi basically compensates for the fact that Ibaka turns to dust when guarding LeBron.

I still remember that Game of Zones episode where Ibaka has the line, "I defend anyone....except LeBron."  :lol:

12 minutes ago, briantw said:

To be honest, I've watched them play once, as I usually don't start watching non-Cavs games until around when the NBA season actually starts around Christmas.  And you're right, Kawhi is about as close a thing to a LeBron stopper as exists in this league.  Kawhi basically compensates for the fact that Ibaka turns to dust when guarding LeBron.

I still remember that Game of Zones episode where Ibaka has the line, "I defend anyone....except LeBron."  :lol:

This video says it all:

7 hours ago, IamMe90 said:

That is true, but also his team was built around him, to maximise his playstyle. No idea what happened to George Hill, but most of the team was meant to catch and shoot 3 pointers or catch and dunk. Its not a wonder that they collapsed, and you're also conveniently leaving out Kevin Love being injured.

Also, by that logic, you can also say how amazing Mike Conley is. Just look at the Grizzlies last year! LeBron is great, the Lakers wouldn't be in a playoff position without him either, but that logic is just silly. 

2 hours ago, Proudfeet said:

Also, by that logic, you can also say how amazing Mike Conley is. Just look at the Grizzlies last year! LeBron is great, the Lakers wouldn't be in a playoff position without him either, but that logic is just silly. 

Uhhhh, no. The griz have Gasol back at full health, and have one of the best rookies in the draft. So not a good comparison at all. 

You do have to factor in Love's absence, but they were trash before he got injured as well. LeBron is just THAT good, especially given how weak the east was last year. 

14 minutes ago, Relic said:

Uhhhh, no. The griz have Gasol back at full health, and have one of the best rookies in the draft. So not a good comparison at all. 

You do have to factor in Love's absence, but they were trash before he got injured as well. LeBron is just THAT good, especially given how weak the east was last year. 

The comparison is not perfect, but it is fair. The Grizz have a fantastic rookie, but the Cavs are missing Love. Either way, that is besides the point. My point was not that LeBron isn't that good nor that Conley is as good as LeBron. I'm saying that saying Cleveland's roster without LeBron is bad because of this year's results is excessively reductive. 

Also, Cavs were trash with Love, but so were many other teams that have since recovered. Not that I was expecting Cavs to be a playoff team this year, but I thought that they could be where the Nets are now.

1 hour ago, Proudfeet said:

The comparison is not perfect, but it is fair. The Grizz have a fantastic rookie, but the Cavs are missing Love. Either way, that is besides the point. My point was not that LeBron isn't that good nor that Conley is as good as LeBron. I'm saying that saying Cleveland's roster without LeBron is bad because of this year's results is excessively reductive. 

Also, Cavs were trash with Love, but so were many other teams that have since recovered. Not that I was expecting Cavs to be a playoff team this year, but I thought that they could be where the Nets are now.

The Cavs were bad with Love, to be sure, but they also fired the coach who coached those games, and their team has clearly improved since.  They're still not good, but they're not embarrassing any more.  The trades have helped as well, getting rid of some guys who didn't want to be there and also clearing the way for Sexton to start, which needed to happen.

And Love only played in four games and was playing hurt, so it's really hard to derive much from those.

Edited by briantw

On 12/13/2018 at 5:06 PM, Tywin et al. said:

Bucks, Nuggets, GSW > Raptors this season

2 hours ago, IamMe90 said:

Bucks, Nuggets, GSW > Raptors this season

The Raptors have the best record and swept the Warriors. Don’t kneecap them you frothing at the mouth Bucks fan!

:P

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

The Raptors have the best record and swept the Warriors. Don’t kneecap them you frothing at the mouth Bucks fan!

:P

Guess who swept the Raptors?

;)