When was Theon supposed to go home?

Varysblackfyre321

2 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Viserys would be boy-King of 6 years old.   Robert and the rebels would have the opportunity to shape and mold to him to their liking. Wouldnt be that hard. At that age, with the right nourishment he by his majority would likely feel more close to the Rebels did than his insane father. Robert rebelled to save his life. He did not prounouce himself king to do so, and if there was thought of one of the rebel lords having to usurp the Targyens for them to truly be safe, such talk would likely discussed, agreed upon, and pronounced well before the battle of the trident. Robert wanted to be king-he did not need become King. 

Tywin addressed this: 

“Lord Tywin stared at him as if he had lost his wits. “You deserve that motley, then. We had come late to Robert’s cause. It was necessary to demonstrate our loyalty. When I laid those bodies before the throne, no man could doubt that we had forsaken House Targaryen forever. And Robert’s relief was palpable. As stupid as he was, even he knew that Rhaegar’s children had to die if his throne was ever to be secure. Yet he saw himself as a hero, and heroes do not kill children.”

Robert address this: 

“The king frowned. “A knife, perhaps. A good sharp one, and a bold man to wield it.” (TIL: it's bold, not bald. I forever thought FM were bald bc of the show)

Basically the entire Small Council and rest of the lords agreed present agreed.

Maegor -- who Robert is definitely not -- tried to keep heirs around him. He was rebelled against and died for it. If you want a real life example, look no further than Edward III vs Roger Mortimer and his own mother. Viserys would have been used as a pawn or held in the black cells. Best for him (and Robert) that he escaped from DS with little to his name and even less support.

1 hour ago, Arthur Peres said:

Why should they risk it ? Viserys acording to Barristan showed signs of being mad since early years.

Rhaegar was mad, Aerys was madder and Viserys could be the maddest of them all.

Robert needed the throne to be secure, otherwise, Viserys could very well go after him later on.

Swap Aerys and Viserys. He was never going to outstrip his father

1 hour ago, Arthur Peres said:

Why should they risk it ? Viserys acording to Barristan showed signs of being mad since early years.

Rhaegar was mad, Aerys was madder and Viserys could be the maddest of them all.

Robert needed the throne to be secure, otherwise, Viserys could very well go after him later on.

Rheagar, looks to me to be a narcissist, perhaps a sociopath, but by no means was he truly mad, he definitely made questionable decisions but they were not done out of lack mental faculties and no one accused him of such. Viserys did not grow to be mad. He grew to be vindictive, spiteful, reckless, and cruel but not mad. Every action we see him take, no matter how wicked clearly isn’t done because he’s crazy. Even threatening a pregnant Daenerys in front of Drogo could be seen as the pressures of the massive responsibility thrust upon him, as well him being raging drunk. Barristan read to deeply in some of off the off behavior of a six year old boy who was constantly smothered by a madman. He did not really give Viserys a chance before he abandoned him. In any case the rebels knew none of this when Robert declared himself king.The rebels are risking the realm going through fragmentation by pursing the boy. 

13 hours ago, Universal Sword Donor said:

Tywin addressed this: 

“Lord Tywin stared at him as if he had lost his wits. “You deserve that motley, then. We had come late to Robert’s cause. It was necessary to demonstrate our loyalty. When I laid those bodies before the throne, no man could doubt that we had forsaken House Targaryen forever. And Robert’s relief was palpable. As stupid as he was, even he knew that Rhaegar’s children had to die if his throne was ever to be secure. Yet he saw himself as a hero, and heroes do not kill children.”

Robert address this: 

“The king frowned. “A knife, perhaps. A good sharp one, and a bold man to wield it.” (TIL: it's bold, not bald. I forever thought FM were bald bc of the show)

Basically the entire Small Council and rest of the lords agreed present agreed.

Maegor -- who Robert is definitely not -- tried to keep heirs around him. He was rebelled against and died for it. If you want a real life example, look no further than Edward III vs Roger Mortimer and his own mother. Viserys would have been used as a pawn or held in the black cells. Best for him (and Robert) that he escaped from DS with little to his name and even less support.

Two quotes concerning Robert havingto kill these children to protect his throne, does not mean the rebels would be in mortal danger  if they should choose to raise 6 year old Viserys as king. If the rebels thought declaring one of their leaders Kong’s was the only way to secure their safety, we would have likely heard of discussion,agreement and proclaimmation of such a thing before the battle of the trident. We don’t.

21 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Rheagar, looks to me to be a narcissist, perhaps a sociopath, but by no means was he truly mad, he definitely made questionable decisions but they were not done out of lack mental faculties and no one accused him of such. Viserys did not grow to be mad. He grew to be vindictive, spiteful, reckless, and cruel but not mad. Every action we see him take, no matter how wicked clearly isn’t done because he’s crazy. Even threatening a pregnant Daenerys in front of Drogo could be seen as the pressures of the massive responsibility thrust upon him, as well him being raging drunk. Barristan read to deeply in some of off the off behavior of a six year old boy who was constantly smothered by a madman. He did not really give Viserys a chance before he abandoned him. In any case the rebels knew none of this when Robert declared himself king.The rebels are risking the realm going through fragmentation by pursing the boy. 

His favorite place was the castle that his family burned. That is weird behaviour right there

Then he choose to public shame Robert, and Elia in one stroke at the tournament, then not happy he takes away Lyanna and let his wife and children at his crazy father's mercy,

He started the war and he was dumb enough to try to take Robert head on at the trident, while he left he best bodyguard guarding his dying mistress together with other 2 kingsguard, and this got himself killed.

His actions pissed of 3 the great families. (Martell, Stark and Baratheon).

9 hours ago, Arthur Peres said:

His favorite place was the castle that his family burned. That is weird behaviour right there

Then he choose to public shame Robert, and Elia in one stroke at the tournament, then not happy he takes away Lyanna and let his wife and children at his crazy father's mercy,

He started the war and he was dumb enough to try to take Robert head on at the trident, while he left he best bodyguard guarding his dying mistress together with other 2 kingsguard, and this got himself killed.

His actions pissed of 3 the great families. (Martell, Stark and Baratheon).

Most of the actions you’ve can be seen as rash and dumb, careless even-but it’s clear he wasn’t mad while doing them. It’d be too easy to relieve responsibilty from characters who make  decisions to which are dumb, careless or or rash by just brushing them off as just mad. Just say they’re insane.  as  Taking on Robert was literally a necessity given he was marching towards KL, and not unjustified given Rheagar appeared to have an advantage of numbers. If he did see Lyanna as the woman to which would gift the world its savior(to which she probably did), leaving her in the hands of his two best body guards make sense. 

Euron only came back because the 7K were in the middle of the wot5k .. I dont think he wouldve came back to an estable westeros, so as long as the crown and the north remained strong theon had a pretty good chance.. We know that wasnt the case.. But anyways, even if the IB didnt embraced theon the crown and the north could negotiate with Asha, she is willing to give up the old ways and it would only cost the realm some lands.. 

So to bring this back to Theon, I think Theon is going to end up at the wall in WoW.  GRRM has stated that a lot of things are happening at the wall in this book, and as we know from his original trilogy WoW was supposed to be the book of the great war.  The name of the book is also representative of what is to come.  So GRRM has stated a lot of things are happening at the wall.  I don't think he is going to have those things happen without anyone there to witness them.

GRRM has stated there will be no new POVs.  There is Melisandre, so it is possible we could see things through her eyes, but I think she isn't a major character and I can't see GRRM spending a lot of time with her POV.  He'd want to leave the mystery of her to the readers to speculate on.  This means someone else has to be at the wall, someone who has had lots of POV's and who is an important character in the story. 

I think Theon is going to either be sent to the wall by Stannis, or he will somehow escape and go there himself for some reason or another.  I think we will see Jon's resurrection through his eyes, as well as the movements and plans of the Others.

Archived