Jump to content
Euron III Greyjoy

TWoW - Arya Stark

Recommended Posts

I've been thinking about how Arya will play a role in the next book, I definitely think she will end up back in Westeros, but how will she get there? 

  • Will she be tasked by the Faceless Men to kill someone in Westeros.
  • Will she hear about Jon Snow's death and go to Westeros for revenge. 
  • Will Jeyne Poole come to the House of Black and White to kill herself and recognize Arya. 
  • Will she have to run away from the Faceless Men for killing Raff the Sweetling. 
  • Other.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So many roads Martin can lead Arya down. Mercy had me curious to if there will be any punishments after killing Ralf. Technically she could argue that if Ralf had lived, he may have went on to kill that dwarf in the troupe, so she was defending him by killing Ralf, but there may still be some punishment. I really can't wait for her to abandon the "No one" persona, because I grew attached to Arya, not "no one." Revenge for Jon seems as good a reason as any. Here's some crazy speculation I could see happening.

Other: Either the anti Targaryean maesters at Oldtown or some slaver nobles hire a Faceless man to either kill Dany or someone close to her whose death would hinder her rule. with Dany gone, I'd go with the former. Barrastan Selmy is someone like that, and has been carrying on Dany's rule in her absence. What if he's the contract for the Faceless Man, and they send Arya. From there, it could be  question of if Arya will become herself and stop being No One before he's killed. Or she could try to kill of Dany/her ally when she's on her way to Westeros. Sea travel seems like a no go at this point with the weather the way it is. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good question.

I don't think the Mercy chapter we saw is a chapter that takes place early in the book. On top of that, I'm not even sure that the Mercy chapter will even be incorporated into the actual book. Who knows? Maybe killing Raff the Sweetling was an assignment.

I think the Faceless Men will task Arya to kill someone in Westeros...one of the Others or maybe even the Night King (if there is one). Why? Arya is very special: females are not commonly allowed to join the Faceless Men and children who join are even rarer. Yet, Arya is admitted without much of an issue. Arya is both a skinchanger by birth (warging, etc.) and a skinchanger by trade (Faceless Men skills). She is quick and resourceful; her fighting style and weapon of choice will be an anathema to the vast majority of Westerosi fighters. If you give her a Valyrian steel blade (the Valyrian steel dagger that almost ended Bran's life or the sword Dark Sister), then she might even pose a big threat to the Others.

But I don't think Arya will be returning to Westeros until A Dream of Spring. Before that happens, I see Arya doing something very reckless once she sees Jeyne Poole and/or hears about Jon Snow or anything else pertaining to Winterfell or her family. Not wanting to be blinded (or worse), Arya will go on the run, spending a few chapters living like Jason Bourne or the lead character from Assassin's Creed in Braavos.

Eventually, they will corner her but they will give her an assignment and let her leave for Westeros...similar to the TV show. At the end of it all, Arya will survive the series only to be compelled to return to the House of Black and White.

Either that...

Or Arya will flee for Westeros. And she will spend her time in Dream, crossing names off her list, reuniting with her family and friends while staying one step ahead of the Faceless Men who are legitimately trying to kill her for desertion and blasphemy. With the dead walking, disease running rampant, monsters running wild, the weather worsening and the complete absence of foodstuffs in addition to being chased by the Faceless Men, Arya is more unlikely to survive this scenario.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Mooncalf said:

So many roads Martin can lead Arya down. Mercy had me curious to if there will be any punishments after killing Ralf. Technically she could argue that if Ralf had lived, he may have went on to kill that dwarf in the troupe, so she was defending him by killing Ralf, but there may still be some punishment. I really can't wait for her to abandon the "No one" persona, because I grew attached to Arya, not "no one." Revenge for Jon seems as good a reason as any. Here's some crazy speculation I could see happening.

Other: Either the anti Targaryean maesters at Oldtown or some slaver nobles hire a Faceless man to either kill Dany or someone close to her whose death would hinder her rule. with Dany gone, I'd go with the former. Barrastan Selmy is someone like that, and has been carrying on Dany's rule in her absence. What if he's the contract for the Faceless Man, and they send Arya. From there, it could be  question of if Arya will become herself and stop being No One before he's killed. Or she could try to kill of Dany/her ally when she's on her way to Westeros. Sea travel seems like a no go at this point with the weather the way it is. 

What makes you say that?

At this point, winter has just begun. Sea travel is still feasible. Maybe not if you're going to Eastwatch, Bear Island, Hardhome, Skagos or the Dreadfort but White Harbor, Gulltown, Dragonstone, King's Landing, Lannisport and Lordsport should be easy enough.

South of the Wall, the weather conditions are still pretty typical of a normal, really cold winter after a long summer.

I'd be more concerned about sea travel in the second half of A Dream of Spring. That's when you're going to start having some problems.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, King Aegon I Targaryen said:

I've been thinking about how Arya will play a role in the next book, I definitely think she will end up back in Westeros, but how will she get there? 

  • Will she be tasked by the Faceless Men to kill someone in Westeros.
  • Will she hear about Jon Snow's death and go to Westeros for revenge. 
  • Will Jeyne Poole come to the House of Black and White to kill herself and recognize Arya. 
  • Will she have to run away from the Faceless Men for killing Raff the Sweetling. 
  • Other.

Being sent to assassinate someone is, I think, out.  She is still an apprentice with limited to non-existent training, and I don't see her becoming sufficiently trained by the end of the series - or ever -  to go off on a mission.  Not to mention the fact that the murder of Raff will probably cause the FM to distrust her somewhat.

I see somewhat of a combination of the FM forcing her out, and meeting Jeyne Poole causing her to return to Westeros.  Raff's murder will likely cause trouble, and not necessarily in ways that the FM appreciates.  It will also cause them to realize that she is reckless and undisciplined, with a mind of her own, if they haven't already.  I'm thinking they either put her on probation, so to say, or transfer her somewhere else, maybe a courtesan to learn skills of manipulation, etc.  Ultimately, I think she will break with them.  She is unsuited for them, and they are bad for her.

I would expect that her meeting with Jeyne Poole will come about not because Jeyne shows up at the HoB&W, but because Arya hears that "Arya Stark" is in town and goes to find out who is using her name and why.  Talking to Jeyne, and her friction with the FM will make her decide to return to Westeros.  Her story is one of losing her identity, and I expect that she will choose to take it back.

My guess is that she will head for the Riverlands, where her wolf is located, and there are people that know her.  I expect her wolf pack to play a role in the battle against the Others, but beyond that, I don't know.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Arya hears about Jeyne posing as her she heads to the HoB&W and kills her.Goes back home,stops by KL and kills Jaime and other Kingsguards and shoves Ser Pounce down Tommen's throat while Cersei watches.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's extremely unlikely that Jeyne Poole would go all the way the House of etc etc to kill herself.  That particular side of the whole Faceless Men organization is something that is probably very specific to residents of Braavos.

No-one in Westeros seems to know anything about the FM other than they are skilled assassins.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Arataniello said:

It's extremely unlikely that Jeyne Poole would go all the way the House of etc etc to kill herself.  That particular side of the whole Faceless Men organization is something that is probably very specific to residents of Braavos.

No-one in Westeros seems to know anything about the FM other than they are skilled assassins.

Presuming Jon Snow is still unconscious/dead by the time she reaches the Wall, then Justin Massey will probably take her to Braavos, and if she hears about the House of Black & White she might be tempted. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, King Aegon I Targaryen said:

Presuming Jon Snow is still unconscious/dead by the time she reaches the Wall, then Justin Massey will probably take her to Braavos, and if she hears about the House of Black & White she might be tempted. 

I doubt that this would happen.  Simply getting out of the abusive environments will probably help a lot.  And George doesn't really seem to be into having his characters kill themselves, outside of some greater mission (Halfhand, Syrio).

And if Arya keeps her ears open, she should have no difficulty in hearing about her doppelganger being in town, probably at the banker's house, and going to investigate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone remember the "bad cat" that cersei and Tommen mention?

as Arya's ability to warg things continues see may be able see what's happening thru that cats eyes, remember this cat sounds similar to one she used to chase.

this may influence her actions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Deadliestviper7 said:

Does anyone remember the "bad cat" that cersei and Tommen mention?

as Arya's ability to warg things continues see may be able see what's happening thru that cats eyes, remember this cat sounds similar to one she used to chase.

this may influence her actions.

If Arya uses that cat to fuck over the Lannisters it would be even more poetic, since that is Balerion, Rhaenys Targaryen's cat. Maybe Arya skinchanges into the cat and pushes Tommen down a flight of stairs, causing him to break his neck or something. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/3/2018 at 3:46 PM, Nevets said:

Being sent to assassinate someone is, I think, out.  She is still an apprentice with limited to non-existent training, and I don't see her becoming sufficiently trained by the end of the series - or ever -  to go off on a mission.  Not to mention the fact that the murder of Raff will probably cause the FM to distrust her somewhat.

I see somewhat of a combination of the FM forcing her out, and meeting Jeyne Poole causing her to return to Westeros.  Raff's murder will likely cause trouble, and not necessarily in ways that the FM appreciates.  It will also cause them to realize that she is reckless and undisciplined, with a mind of her own, if they haven't already.  I'm thinking they either put her on probation, so to say, or transfer her somewhere else, maybe a courtesan to learn skills of manipulation, etc.  Ultimately, I think she will break with them.  She is unsuited for them, and they are bad for her.

I would expect that her meeting with Jeyne Poole will come about not because Jeyne shows up at the HoB&W, but because Arya hears that "Arya Stark" is in town and goes to find out who is using her name and why.  Talking to Jeyne, and her friction with the FM will make her decide to return to Westeros.  Her story is one of losing her identity, and I expect that she will choose to take it back.

My guess is that she will head for the Riverlands, where her wolf is located, and there are people that know her.  I expect her wolf pack to play a role in the battle against the Others, but beyond that, I don't know.

 

She's may be an apprentice at the start of the book but I firmly believe she'll progress to the level of becoming an acolyte before the end of the book when she leaves for Westeros. After all, Arya absolutely has to be able to become anyone at anytime by the end of Winds. And that's something that only acolytes are allowed to do.

No, I think the Faceless Men knew exactly what they were in for when they allowed Arya Stark into their ranks. They knew who she was and they are powerful and informed enough to know of what has happened to her family and her home across the Narrow Sea. Braavos has always had close ties to the Seven Kingdoms....why wouldn't they know about Ned Stark's execution, the Red Wedding, the Purple Wedding and the Bolton takeover of the North.

Arya might not bother with the Riverlands right away. For all we know, she might head straight to Winterfell via White Harbor in an attempt to destroy Ramsay and Roose Bolton.

(( I think it's super-cool that Arya is going to be two different types of skinchanger. ))

On 11/5/2018 at 5:45 PM, King Aegon I Targaryen said:

If Arya uses that cat to fuck over the Lannisters it would be even more poetic, since that is Balerion, Rhaenys Targaryen's cat. Maybe Arya skinchanges into the cat and pushes Tommen down a flight of stairs, causing him to break his neck or something. 

OMFG!!!

I completely forgot that that cat belonged to little Rhaenys. Oh shit...that was a smooth move George. Very smooth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

She's may be an apprentice at the start of the book but I firmly believe she'll progress to the level of becoming an acolyte before the end of the book when she leaves for Westeros. After all, Arya absolutely has to be able to become anyone at anytime by the end of Winds. And that's something that only acolytes are allowed to do.

No, I think the Faceless Men knew exactly what they were in for when they allowed Arya Stark into their ranks. They knew who she was and they are powerful and informed enough to know of what has happened to her family and her home across the Narrow Sea. Braavos has always had close ties to the Seven Kingdoms....why wouldn't they know about Ned Stark's execution, the Red Wedding, the Purple Wedding and the Bolton takeover of the North.

Arya might not bother with the Riverlands right away. For all we know, she might head straight to Winterfell via White Harbor in an attempt to destroy Ramsay and Roose Bolton.

(( I think it's super-cool that Arya is going to be two different types of skinchanger. ))

OMFG!!!

I completely forgot that that cat belonged to little Rhaenys. Oh shit...that was a smooth move George. Very smooth.

I don't see why she has to be able to become anyone.  It would be nice, but hardly essential.  And I think Mercy is paving the way for her departure.

Of course they know who she is.  I think they are planning to use her as an agent in Westeros; someone who can provide them with intelligence, shelter, money, or other assistance when needed.  Her training certainly seems inclined in this direction. It is the sort of thing you would give to an investigator or undercover agent.  If she's learned anything about actually killing people,though, it's been incidental.

She has yet to seek out anybody on (or not yet on) her list.  In any event, I expect Ramsay to be dead by the time she makes a move, and Roose is likely to be inaccessible, either besieged at Winterfell or secure at the Dreadfort.  Riverlands and her wolf still look more likely.

I am firmly of the belief that her story is one of identity.  She has more or less relinquished it for now, but the time will come when she realizes that she is truly a Stark, and take action accordingly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Nevets said:

I don't see why she has to be able to become anyone.  It would be nice, but hardly essential.  And I think Mercy is paving the way for her departure.

Of course they know who she is.  I think they are planning to use her as an agent in Westeros; someone who can provide them with intelligence, shelter, money, or other assistance when needed.  Her training certainly seems inclined in this direction. It is the sort of thing you would give to an investigator or undercover agent.  If she's learned anything about actually killing people,though, it's been incidental.

She has yet to seek out anybody on (or not yet on) her list.  In any event, I expect Ramsay to be dead by the time she makes a move, and Roose is likely to be inaccessible, either besieged at Winterfell or secure at the Dreadfort.  Riverlands and her wolf still look more likely.

I am firmly of the belief that her story is one of identity.  She has more or less relinquished it for now, but the time will come when she realizes that she is truly a Stark, and take action accordingly.

Then if they were just going to try to use her as a launching-pad/headquarters for their operations in Westeros, why would they train her in their sacred arts of assassination, subterfuge and disguise?

If all she was going to be was a high-profile informant, why wouldn't they just house, feed and educate her until the time was right for her to be allowed to return to Westeros to work on their behalf there?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/7/2018 at 3:29 PM, Jabar of House Titan said:

Then if they were just going to try to use her as a launching-pad/headquarters for their operations in Westeros, why would they train her in their sacred arts of assassination, subterfuge and disguise?

What training?  I haven't seen anything I would regard as being all that secret.  The only secret I can think of that she knows is the face library, and I wouldn't be surprised if that was a facade to hide the fact that they have far more effective ways of changing their appearance.  It is, after all, pretty clunky and difficult to use.

On 11/7/2018 at 3:29 PM, Jabar of House Titan said:

If all she was going to be was a high-profile informant, why wouldn't they just house, feed and educate her until the time was right for her to be allowed to return to Westeros to work on their behalf there?

Maybe they are.  It's possible that having her work for them would be the "price" she would pay for leaving without consequence.  As for the rest, her training seems to be quite dilatory, almost as if they are wasting time and stringing her along until they figure out what to do with her.  She sure as hell isn't on the fast track. That's for damn sure.

Edited by Nevets

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think they are simply providing her refuge,as it is likely a braavosi tradition, the iron coin likely symbolizes many things, but given to any bravosi its payment for refugees, braavosi is a place for refugees after all.

the house of black and white took her in, but I don't think they expect her to be a faceless man.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 4:24 PM, Deadliestviper7 said:

Does anyone remember the "bad cat" that cersei and Tommen mention?

as Arya's ability to warg things continues see may be able see what's happening thru that cats eyes, remember this cat sounds similar to one she used to chase.

this may influence her actions.

I've always hoped that Arya kills Tommen by dipping the cats paw in poison then scratching him, and that we get some subtle mention of Arya sensing another person in the cat.  A subtle nod to Rhaenys.  It would be great imo.  That's the cat that stole chicken from Kevan Lannisters hand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/5/2018 at 3:45 PM, King Aegon I Targaryen said:

If Arya uses that cat to fuck over the Lannisters it would be even more poetic, since that is Balerion, Rhaenys Targaryen's cat. Maybe Arya skinchanges into the cat and pushes Tommen down a flight of stairs, causing him to break his neck or something. 

 

54 minutes ago, aryagonnakill#2 said:

I've always hoped that Arya kills Tommen by dipping the cats paw in poison then scratching him, and that we get some subtle mention of Arya sensing another person in the cat.  A subtle nod to Rhaenys.  It would be great imo.  That's the cat that stole chicken from Kevan Lannisters hand.

If Arya uses the cat to kill anyone, it will be Cersei.  She has nothing against Tommen, and no reason at all to kill him.  Cersei, on the other hand ... 

Not that I actually expect any of this to happen.  I don't see any reason for her to go to KL in the first place, and between the Sand Snakes, and Cersei's other enemies, I think Tommen and Cersei are in enough jeopardy as it is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Nevets said:

 

If Arya uses the cat to kill anyone, it will be Cersei.  She has nothing against Tommen, and no reason at all to kill him.  Cersei, on the other hand ... 

Not that I actually expect any of this to happen.  I don't see any reason for her to go to KL in the first place, and between the Sand Snakes, and Cersei's other enemies, I think Tommen and Cersei are in enough jeopardy as it is.

Yah I think the Sand Snakes killing him are just as likely.  Even more so, its just something I would really love to happen if it did.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Arya is one of the most difficult characters for me to figure out. She's definitely coming back to Westeros at some point, and Justin Massey seems like a distinct possibility, but figuring everything out between now and then is where things get tricky. I think she's in for a few more bits of Faceless Men related tasks between Mercy and her eventual departure, but I'm pretty unsure how everything will play out, aside from knowing that she has to get back to the riverlands at some point to reunite with Nymeria.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×