TWoW - Arya Stark

Euron III Greyjoy

7 hours ago, KuwabaraTheMan said:

Arya is one of the most difficult characters for me to figure out. She's definitely coming back to Westeros at some point, and Justin Massey seems like a distinct possibility, but figuring everything out between now and then is where things get tricky. I think she's in for a few more bits of Faceless Men related tasks between Mercy and her eventual departure, but I'm pretty unsure how everything will play out, aside from knowing that she has to get back to the riverlands at some point to reunite with Nymeria.

It might be worth checking out the discussion here:

Looks like GRRM wrote her Braavos chapters way back in 2012 and has sent them to a map-maker who used Winds content to create the newest Braavos map with several new unnamed buildings and the added garden/green isle at the Sealord's Palace. I think in her Winds chapters for Braavos, Arya will be on another apprenticeship that will bring her into the elite of Braavosi society. Perhaps as a handmaid to a courtesan. 

If that does happen in Winds, I would imagine GRRM has already foreshadowed it in this AFFC Arya Chapter:

"You believe this is the only place for you." It was as if he'd heard her thoughts. "You are wrong in that. You would find softer service in the household of some merchant. (Cat of the Canals living with Brusco) Or would you sooner be a courtesan, and have songs sung of your beauty? Speak the word, and we will send you to the Black Pearl or the Daughter of the Dusk. (Winds of Winter content) You will sleep on rose petals and wear silken skirts that rustle when you walk, and great lords will beggar themselves for your maiden's blood. Or if it is marriage and children you desire, tell me, and we shall find a husband for you. Some honest apprentice boy, a rich old man, a seafarer, whatever you desire."

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting thoughts.

For me, I think Mercy is paving the way for an exit. The act of killing Raff was Arya Stark, not Mercy, and not no one. She is becoming a Stark again.

How the split manifests with the FM, and how Arya gets backs to Westeros, and what she tries to accomplish are the biggest questions for me.

Have always had a sneaking suspicion Stoneheart will see one of her kids alive again. Arya seems like the best bet at the moment. Nymeria is in the Riverlands and I think the pack plays a role.

I will push back on the idea that Arya has not gotten training, on how to kill, and put it to good use.

First, she has learned how to become someone else, which is step 1 for an assassin. It is how you get close to someone. An assassin who can become anybody can get close to anybody & everybody. Also great for info gathering & spying.

As are her skills about using her other senses, observation, and being able to lie and tell when someone is lying. Those are also good for establishing & maintaining cover, and sorting good info from bad.

She also has had extensive training on poisons and learned how to use them effectively without even raising suspicion that there has been a murder at all. 

At this stage, she can get in, assess the situation, penetrate close to the target, kill them, and get away without even using a blade or attracting attention or alerting folks to the fact there was an assassination. 

And we haven't even talked warging yet. 

Woe to those on the list when she gets home. For reference, the list is:

Dead: Jeoffrey, Tywin, Lorch, Weese, Chiswyck, Polliver, the Tickler, Raff the Sweetling

Thought dead: the Mountain

Alive: Cersei, Ilyn Payne, Meryn Trant, Dunsen. 

She knows she made a mistake killing Weese & Chiswyck instead of Tywin. She will not make that mistake again. When she learns about the Red Wedding (Frey) and the Boltons in Winterfell (Ramsay or Roose) I think they make the list. Cersei, Freys or Boltons. KL or Winterfell. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/31/2018 at 11:01 AM, Jabar of House Titan said:

I can see Myranda Royce hiring a Faceless Man.

I don't know why she would.  It's plain that she knows perfectly well who "Alayne" really is.  And if she wants Alayne to leave Harrold Hardyng alone, all she has to do is expose her, or threaten to do so.  Given that Sansa isn't all that interested in him in the first place, it shouldn't be difficult to get Sansa to lay off.

On 12/31/2018 at 12:59 PM, Unknownfinger said:

I feel rather certain we will see the following plot points:

1. Arya will never join the Faceless Men

2. Justin Massey will get Arya back to Westeros 

3. Arya will be reunited with Nymeria at least for a short time

4. Arya will put LSH out of her misery 

1.  Absolutely.  If she were going to become a Faceless Man, she would be a lot further along in her training than she is.  She would be on the fast track, not the slow, dilatory one she is on now.

2.  I think Justin Massey will be responsible for getting FArya to Braavos, where she meets the real one.  I expect that real Arya will decide to return home at that point, but that she will make her own arrangements.

3.  Definitely.  And I expect that Nymeria's pack will be useful in the fight against the Others, as well.

4.  It would be a nice coda to that story, but I don't know if George will go that route.

• 2 months later...

I wager she's on a ship for westeros by the half-way through wow. She never goes back to the FM or the players after killing Raff. She knows she's gone too far and flees. The next Arya chapter after Mercy has her boarding a ship for westeros.

and, of al the ways she could go once she arrives, I predict she goes to her wolf first.

I don't think the FM will pursue her, or in any case it won't be a major plot point.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/11/2018 at 7:14 AM, aryagonnakill#2 said:

I've always hoped that Arya kills Tommen by dipping the cats paw in poison then scratching him, and that we get some subtle mention of Arya sensing another person in the cat.  A subtle nod to Rhaenys.  It would be great imo.  That's the cat that stole chicken from Kevan Lannisters hand.

Why Tommen

He is nice boy - he has done nothing to harm Arya. Nor has Myrcella. Cersai, Jaime, Joffrey but not Tommen and Myrcella.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived