November 2018 Reading - remember, remember the blade of Ember

williamjm

Just finished Hawaii by James Michener, my first experience of him.  It's a sprawling historical fiction through many eras, all set in Hawaii.  Similar in structure to Edward Rutherford's Sarum or London.  In fact, I assume Rutherford adopted the style from Michener.

Overall it was a decent read, but very long and the prose and characterization are ok without being truly compelling.  And there is a heavy message about the noble savage corrupted by colonists.  Personally, I found the religosity of the earlier stories to be distasteful and frustrating, but I'll allow that for long periods of human history people (perhaps not all of them) did view the world through a lens of religion that heavily influenced their thought process, perspective and attitude.

Liverpool have Lovren and Clyne still out with short term injuries, so covering for Joe Gomez won't be simple for the next couple of games.  Plus Trent Alexander Arnold needs to be rested/protected too.  It's possible Fabinho could see a game at RB, or Camacho might even play.  And it looks like we'll need to continue with Matip at CB for this weekend at least, despite him looking tentative and underwhelming all the time now.

Sadio Mane is injured too, but hopefully not for very long.

1 hour ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Liverpool have Lovren and Clyne still out with short term injuries, so covering for Joe Gomez won't be simple for the next couple of games.  Plus Trent Alexander Arnold needs to be rested/protected too.  It's possible Fabinho could see a game at RB, or Camacho might even play.  And it looks like we'll need to continue with Matip at CB for this weekend at least, despite him looking tentative and underwhelming all the time now.

This sounds like an excellent book.

6 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

And the Hugo goes to!

10 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Is it a bad time to mention its December?

Don't be silly. December is the *perfect* time to mention it's December. Any other month would be just wrong.

Archived