Dragonglass and valyrian steel

Deadliestviper7

Valyrian steel is an alloy of steel and dragonglass melted together with dragon breath. The only reason it couldn't be produced was because dragons had been extinct for quite some time. Now that they're back, time to start up the forges! Those Others aren't going to stab themselves.

3 hours ago, Talking Hodor said:

Valyrian steel is an alloy of steel and dragonglass melted together with dragon breath. The only reason it couldn't be produced was because dragons had been extinct for quite some time. Now that they're back, time to start up the forges! Those Others aren't going to stab themselves.

I don't think its that simple. If all that was needed was dragons then Valyrian Steel weapons would've still been made up until the dance of the dragons. 

On 11/6/2018 at 12:06 AM, Deadliestviper7 said:

Valyrian steel and dragonglass, I think they're going to play a big part in winds, there's been much Build up with dragonglass candles, daggers,arrows and spearheads and then we got valyrian steel mentioned so many times, and this has to mean something, so what are your thoughts?

Well, dragonglass and Valyrian Steel are the only known things that can kill the Others. So yes, I would definitely say they are important. 

Can't fire kill them as well?

and forging with dragons is probably harder than it sounds, especially without dying.

bran may be able to find out how valyrian steel is made, either from the trees memories or from one of the remaining children of the forest, maybe it even has to be quenched in blood to work properly?

anyway if he finds out then he'll have to find a way to communicate with x people

On ‎11‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 5:58 PM, Deadliestviper7 said:

and forging with dragons is probably harder than it sounds, especially without dying.

bran may be able to find out how valyrian steel is made, either from the trees memories or from one of the remaining children of the forest, maybe it even has to be quenched in blood to work properly?

anyway if he finds out then he'll have to find a way to communicate with x people

Maybe dragonfire can kill them, but regular fire can't.  Fire can kill wights but not WW's.

On 11/5/2018 at 4:06 PM, Deadliestviper7 said:

Valyrian steel and dragonglass, I think they're going to play a big part in winds, there's been much Build up with dragonglass candles, daggers,arrows and spearheads and then we got valyrian steel mentioned so many times, and this has to mean something, so what are your thoughts?

I bet the starks and the others are going to play a big part too 

On 11/8/2018 at 11:58 PM, Deadliestviper7 said:

For basically being large chunks of frozen flesh, wights have proven to be strangely flammable, comparable to a scarecrow during drought season. One swing with a lantern or a light poke with a fire arrow, and they go up in flames. One would think some sort of arrangement with a burning barricade and obsidian caltrops in a chokepoint area would be able to eat into an Others army like a massive meat grinder. The wights burn up while obsidian kills an Other with a single pinprick. Scatter them over a large area with catapults and you've effectively created an impassable minefield.

If the legends of the Long Night are to be believed, obsidian must be a pretty hard counter to the Others. According to legends, the Others had kept a night going for a generation, covered vast areas in endless winter, killed most of humanity and driven them far, far south. Then the Children of the Forest give the battered and broken humans some obsidian, and suddenly the tables are turned immediately, the Others driven as far back as the Frostfangs, and subdued for eight millennia. That stuff must be like kryptonite, a gamebreaker even a civilization on the cusp of extinction can use to beat a far superior enemy so decisively they haven't been heard from in half a thousand generations.

Something made the Others lose, and lose badly, when they were at their strongest and just at the edge of victory.

Valyrian steel can be still worked by a handful of blacksmiths who still know the method. That's how Ice was split and reforged into two blades. 

I don't know if it needs dragonglass to be smelt, but since it is able to kill the Others, comes originally from Valyria and exclusive as hell; I'd bet the art of smelting the steel and forging it into a blade requires one form of dragonbreath.

Here's a question: can valerian steel

pierce a dragons plate?

lets look at who has obsidian (or might)

rickon

the blackfish

stannis (if he remembers)

jon

i think see ilyn had some as part of a sword, unclear if he has it still (unlikely)

people who have valerian steel weapons:

jon snow

littlefinger (possible way for sansato survive)

brienne

crows eye

lord tarly

anyone remember any others?

i can't remember who has the valyrian steel arakh and seem to have a vague recollection of a couple valyrian steel axes

4 hours ago, L’Age d’or said:

Valyrian steel can be still worked by a handful of blacksmiths who still know the method. That's how Ice was split and reforged into two blades. 

I don't know if it needs dragonglass to be smelt, but since it is able to kill the Others, comes originally from Valyria and exclusive as hell; I'd bet the art of smelting the steel and forging it into a blade requires one form of dragonbreath.

I think reforging requires very hot temps, to Tobho Mot knows how, maybe Gendry knows as well

11 hours ago, Deadliestviper7 said:

I think reforging requires very hot temps, to Tobho Mot knows how, maybe Gendry knows as well

Obviously melting a sword and reforging into two new swords requires extreme temperatures; also Mott is among those master blacksmiths I mentioned since he is the one Tywin employed to do the task.

On ‎11‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 10:19 AM, King Aegon I Targaryen said:

Well, dragonglass and Valyrian Steel are the only known things that can kill the Others. So yes, I would definitely say they are important. 

How do you figure that? When have we seen Valyrian steel kill an Other? (The show doesn't count in here ;))

12 hours ago, Deadliestviper7 said:

Here's a question: can valerian steel

pierce a dragons plate?

lets look at who has obsidian (or might)

rickon

the blackfish

stannis (if he remembers)

jon

i think see ilyn had some as part of a sword, unclear if he has it still (unlikely)

people who have valerian steel weapons:

jon snow

littlefinger (possible way for sansato survive)

brienne

crows eye

lord tarly

anyone remember any others?

i can't remember who has the valyrian steel arakh and seem to have a vague recollection of a couple valyrian steel axes

Unknown. Has anyone been foolish enough to try?

Tommen (the other half of Ice).

47 minutes ago, L’Age d’or said:

Obviously melting a sword and reforging into two new swords requires extreme temperatures; also Mott is among those master blacksmiths I mentioned since he is the one Tywin employed to do the task.

Melting isn't required, just getting it hot enough to work the metal. This would indicate that no special technique is required to make Valyrian steel, but special knowledge and/or ingredients might be.

1 minute ago, Trefayne said:

No, you just need it red hot enough to snip with a metal snips. Once you have your two new billets, you can work the steel into anything you want.

Casting a new ingot and compensating for some lost elements would make sense, regardless it doesn't have anything to do with my original point. 

Valyrian steel comes from Valyria, dragons come from Valyria, obsidian consequently comes from the same place. Valyrian steel has been impossible to be produced since the fall of Valyria. 

On a related note, Qohorian smiths claim they know the magics of working the Valyrian steel, it's notable that Mott was trained in Qohor, which pretty much leads one to conclude that the "magics" means the method of working a magical element - read Obsidian - into the steel. It makes sense as there is a chance you might lose some elements of the alloy, carbon and let's say for the sake of argument some sort of dragonfire which was initially used to forge the metal. 

12 minutes ago, L’Age d’or said:

Casting a new ingot and compensating for some lost elements would make sense, regardless it doesn't have anything to do with my original point. 

Valyrian steel comes from Valyria, dragons come from Valyria, obsidian consequently comes from the same place. Valyrian steel has been impossible to be produced since the fall of Valyria. 

On a related note, Qohorian smiths claim they know the magics of working the Valyrian steel, it's notable that Mott was trained in Qohor, which pretty much leads one to conclude that the "magics" means the method of working a magical element - read Obsidian - into the steel. It makes sense as there is a chance you might lose some elements of the alloy, carbon and let's say for the sake of argument some sort of dragonfire which was initially used to forge the metal. 

Casting a new ingot would actually increase the introduction of impurities. You don't want the metal white hot. If they knew that much of the creation process, they would be able to reproduce it, not just rework the metal.

Obsidian comes from anywhere there was volcanic activity. I don't think Valyria has a monopoly on that, but your point insofar as the story goes is well taken. If they have discovered a way to integrate metal and stone into a material that doesn't shatter at the first swing I'd be interested to hear about it, even if it is fiction.

17 minutes ago, Trefayne said:

Casting a new ingot would actually increase the introduction of impurities. You don't want the metal white hot. If they knew that much of the creation process, they would be able to reproduce it, not just rework the metal.

Obsidian comes from anywhere there was volcanic activity. I don't think Valyria has a monopoly on that, but your point insofar as the story goes is well taken. If they have discovered a way to integrate metal and stone into a material that doesn't shatter at the first swing I'd be interested to hear about it, even if it is fiction.

Not a monopoly but I guess Valyria was a hotbed for active volcanos which probably led to the Doom of Valyria. 

We know that fire and obsidian kills the Others, and if my suspicions are correct and Valyrian steel has got dragonglass in it- maybe that's why Mott was unable to change the colour of the blade from dark grey into Lannister red- then the show was right to point out their potential in killing the Others.  

23 minutes ago, L’Age d’or said:

We know that fire and obsidian kills the Others, and if my suspicions are correct and Valyrian steel has got dragonglass in it- maybe that's why Mott was unable to change the colour of the blade from dark grey into Lannister red- then the show was right to point out their potential in killing the Others.  

Yes, since GRRM made a rather blatant point of explaining how good Waymar Royce's sword was (castle forged steel and all that) and then having it shatter after getting so cold it was too brittle to hold up, it will be interesting to see how Valyrian steel handles an Other weapon even before we get to the question of whether other materials can harm them. Poor Ser Waymar and Small Paul didn't even get a shot in, but Other weapons don't seem any better than regular ones as far as damage potential, just really sharp. They only seem to put a slow liquid nitrogen-like freeze on the opposing weapon until it shatters.

We don't get to actually see what happened to Sam, but from the description of the sounds (and the fact that the Other sword had apparently melted along with its master) we can surmise that the "crack" sound was the Other's weapon breaking upon contact with dragonglass. Now, we know dragonglass melts/destroys the Others, but that doesn't mean that other, regular weapons can't wound and weaken them too.

Archived