Bakker LVI: the Rectum of Creation

lokisnow

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/3/2019 at 7:55 AM, Lutarez said:

Does anyone have a higher quality map from his website? :https://secondapocalypse.ca/ . Can't open the file and can't see the whole thing...

I never seen that version before.

How about this: https://img1.wsimg.com/isteam/ip/c172640c-de47-42b3-ad05-2492648bafc9/5ab6e099-270e-483f-8a9e-937b96048532.jpg

That's the original, unresized image from the site, it's 2231x2560.  I have no idea where it came from, I think someone just "colorized" the one from the book (probably Jason).

Sorry to bomb in completely unrelated to discussion but I was trying to look back at the information about the dragon that Akka finds in the 2nd trilogy....I can't seem to find it though. Can anyone give insight/details about the beast and the encounter? Been googling for 45 minutes and nothing....I'm starting to think I dreamt this whole encounter up LOL

9 hours ago, Wik said:

Sorry to bomb in completely unrelated to discussion but I was trying to look back at the information about the dragon that Akka finds in the 2nd trilogy....I can't seem to find it though. Can anyone give insight/details about the beast and the encounter? Been googling for 45 minutes and nothing....I'm starting to think I dreamt this whole encounter up LOL

I imagine you are talking about Wutteät, when Akka and Cleric encounter him.  It's chapter 15 of White-Luck Warrior.

I'm not sure what information you are looking for though.  Like, who Wutteät is?

11 hours ago, .H. said:

I imagine you are talking about Wutteät, when Akka and Cleric encounter him.  It's chapter 15 of White-Luck Warrior.

I'm not sure what information you are looking for though.  Like, who Wutteät is?

Thanks!

Ya was just trying to recall the history and specifics they revealed and the interactions. I recently moved so my books are in storage and without specific info I wasn't finding much. 

On 1/15/2019 at 5:24 PM, Wik said:

Thanks!

Ya was just trying to recall the history and specifics they revealed and the interactions. I recently moved so my books are in storage and without specific info I wasn't finding much. 

It’s at the end of the second book. Ultimately, based on the fourth book, Wutteat reveals very little, functioning very much as a red herring, but he does force a confrontation between Akka and cleric and wutteat gives cleric battle circumstances he will accept as a proper death. 

It also has perhaps my favorite line of the series “Hell sustains him from within!” When cleric explains that he is a sort of zombie dragon corpse.

On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 9:31 PM, Triskele said:

IT IS NOT PERMISSIBLE TO DISCUSS WUTTEAT WITHOUT DISCUSSING HOW WUTTEAT DISCUSSES

Its been so long since I read it, but I am guessing this is some kind of shot at the chapter/section that featured him lol

12 hours ago, Triskele said:

Nah, even simpler.  Surprised even with context you don't remember.  He only talks in allcaps.  Presumably it's just Bakker's attempt to capture the booming voice or something.  

But now it occurs to me that I can't recall if the MRA dragon in TUC talks the same way...

The MRA dragon talks in all bold rather than all caps, actually.

I always found it interesting how Bakker's dragons had distinct personalities. The dragon in Akka's dreams in PoN had a pseudo-Shakespearian way of talking. Wutteat was a lazy troll. MRA dragon was horny.

12 hours ago, Triskele said:

lol, didn't Cleric say something to Akka about Wutteat like "He plays you.  He has grown too wicked to part from his horde."  

Since time immemorial, since the days of the mighty Cunoroi, ever have men have been heeded to not feed the troll.  

Ahhaha ha yeah, and doesn't the MRA dragon make his first appearance guarding a bridge? Where he kills the dude that found the magic sword Serwa eventually picks up?

• 4 weeks later...

I think it's a metaphor for boob jobs, plastic surgeries and other distortions for the gratification of the male gaze.

Plus it wouldn't matter if they weren't physically distorted, it'd still be shit. What did the original generations of dunyain give up and leave latter generations to suffer? Or did they give anything up or was it just forced in the name of a shorter path?

35 minutes ago, Callan S. said:

I think it's a metaphor for boob jobs, plastic surgeries and other distortions for the gratification of the male gaze.

Plus it wouldn't matter if they weren't physically distorted, it'd still be shit. What did the original generations of dunyain give up and leave latter generations to suffer? Or did they give anything up or was it just forced in the name of a shorter path?

...is this a joke?

I do have to say, sometimes the takes I read about this series are so remarkably different than mine that it does really break me out of the feeling that I can actually ever empathize with another human. 

• 4 weeks later...

I've finally got around to reading The Unholy Consult (and its gigantic glossary). I swear, I had to restrain myself from throwing the book across the room when I came across that "ending".

"That's not how you finish a series, Mr Bakker!"

(Yes, I am aware that it's the ending of a sub-series. I still feel that a sub-series warrants a better resolution).

I have recently accepted TUC to be THE ending until Bakker releases something that explicitly proves it's not. And, it's not a bad one? I mean, what did people really expect? That good guy Kellhus will destroy the evil bad Consult to save the world, and then he ascends to become some sort of higher God. And the third series is just some metaphysical wankery about Souls and The Outside hahaha. 

The series is called THE SECOND APOCALYPSE for fuck's sake. 

Archived