Bakker LVI: the Rectum of Creation

lokisnow

16 hours ago, sologdin said:

something to be examined, the point at which individuation occurs, if ever. 

Sort of like what Sartre wants to say about facticity vs. transcendence?  So, if one really wants to be individual, that is, a self apart, one must necessarily transcend just the mere facts of existence.  I think it is possible that some people never do transcend ideology or culture, or what have you.

16 hours ago, sologdin said:

i normally use the term as synonymous with the phrase "goal-oriented rather than truth oriented," so the notion of an aristotelian final cause is in line with it. 

That is interesting.  Although, if I follow what you are saying, really, a "finite" speed of light, that is c, does actually have a Final Cause, being that if it was not the case, that if a massless particle moved infinitely fast, then it would take an infinite amount of energy to have matter exist (that being M=E/c²).  So, really, c being a finite number does have a final cause, that being so that matter can exist.  But indeed, it would seem to a monkey brain like me, is that the exact number that it is, would be, well, rather "arbitrary" in the sense of it could have been 186,283 mps and some things in the universe would like be a bit funky, but things would essentially still be.  So, why is it that number?  I mean, maybe some day we discover that, but I think for now, it's just what it happens to be.

But maybe it's the case that we can ascribe a sort of goal, or final cause, to anything, even things with the facticity of truth.

On 4/29/2019 at 7:15 PM, Darth Richard II said:

Yeah word of mouth is not Bakker's friend.

I once tried to talk George into reading Bakker. (This was just after The Thousandfold Thought was released.) I realized as I was telling him to ignore the writing of the first 100 pages of TDTCB -- that it gets so much better -- that this book was a hard sell. By the end of the conversation I told him not to bother.

The first trilogy according to a comment he made on his blog.

https://grrm.livejournal.com/262170.html?thread=15328538#t15328538

Scott Bakker was at Semana Negra in Spain with me a few years back. I introduced him before his presentation, interviewed him, and spent a good part of that week with him and his charming wife. I've probably spent more time with Bakker than with Rothfuss, Abercrombie, and Grossman put together. And I have read and admired his first trilogy... though, admittedly, not his more recent books. (So many books, so little time) 

On 5/3/2019 at 11:14 PM, Triskele said:

Sorry, but I have to ask:  do we know for a fact that they didn't try?  

We can't know for a fact, but I sincerely doubt it. Overlook Press and genre marketing don't go together. If you look at the last few books, they feature blurbs from Yours Truly, Wert, Erikson, and Esslemont. A GRRM quote could have done wonders, even if Bakker can never hope to appeal to the more mainstream SFF fans.

On 4/29/2019 at 7:23 PM, sologdin said:

someone best fire the bakkickstarter up in this motherfucker then to fund the third series.

whoa Sologdin is back.

Bakker has basically come down against any sort of merchandising or crowd-funding or crowd-funding-merchandising (you know $5 to the kickstarter and you get a shirt!).  For some reason, he thinks it's demeaning.   He said something along the lines of he'd rather eat his own shit or something when I asked him about it on the Second Apocalypse Q&A.

On 3/31/2019 at 9:24 AM, sologdin said:

the author's stated interpretations are not particularly helpful overall--but certainly this author should not be taken seriously while the narrative is subject to revision. 

Yes exactly, that's why Baby Kellhus is still on the table for me!

On 5/4/2019 at 4:11 AM, larrytheimp said:

Just throwing it out there but going with the GI tract theme of the thread title, my nomination for the next one is Duodenum of Destruction.

I was going to go with "Irritable Baal Syndrome" but that duodenum is pretty excellent. (the Baal one works even better for Bakker if you're familiar with the Brecht play titled Baal or the Schlondorff film thereof).

6 hours ago, sologdin said:

is there a consensus yet on the significance of the swappy head trick in the glossary?

just fucking around with the readers. a masturbatory easter egg designed to provoke, not actually representative of any crucial content.

On 4/30/2019 at 11:01 AM, sologdin said:

not sure about the gender arguments.  it strikes me as completely arbitrary that certain traits or behaviors should be gendered one way or another.  aggression as coded masculine is unwarranted; rooting that gendered code in something assumed to be a biological sex is similarly unwarranted.  i've got no problem with a solitary dimension here, where we strip away the ideologies of sex & gender and deal with what might be considered actual irreducible anatomical difference--some persons menstruate, for instance, but it does not follow from that fact alone that the menstruating person is a woman or even that such a thing as a woman exists outside of gender ideology.

you should read Kameron Hurley's world breaker saga, which addresses all of this for a reader in interesting ways, primarily by turning gender assumptions upside down and inside out, but also creating a variety of cultures within this mirror with various flavors and varieties of gender assumptions that work in distinct and cohesive ways within their respective cultures but also set up fascinating culture-culture clashes that reflect insights on the assumptions of gender coded traits as means of social control back at the reader. 

Also does this for Cannibalism, not just gender.

15 hours ago, ير بال said:

whoa Sologdin is back.

Bakker has basically come down against any sort of merchandising or crowd-funding or crowd-funding-merchandising (you know $5 to the kickstarter and you get a shirt!).  For some reason, he thinks it's demeaning.   He said something along the lines of he'd rather eat his own shit or something when I asked him about it on the Second Apocalypse Q&A.

Yeah, the chances of us ever seeing more books at this point just dropped to like..very very tiny.

Archived