lokisnow

Bakker LVI: the Rectum of Creation

35 minutes ago, sologdin said:

dunno.  nuance and subtlety and nonobviousness are also eye of the beholder. i thought for instance that the foucauldian components of the judging eye were obvious as fuck to the point of tendentiousness, but it is not normally what is noted in discussions of that novel. 

Well, now you have my interest, even if I barely know much on Foucault.  In the sense of Discipline and Punish I am guessing?  I can certainly follow an allusion to the "Panopticon" and both the "soul" as a ledger (that I've definitely thought of before) and certainly the very structure of Cil-Aujas' basement.

Posted (edited)

Huh, and here I am thinking the entire series was mostly a not-so-subtle treatise on the dangers of poor engineering and construction, a meditation on structure as weaponry, and an argument for more stringent building codes: we have the collapsed halls in Cil-Aujus trapping the fellowship for the sranc and then the earthquake taking out the WLW.  

See also: Cnauir's demo project in Joktha to improve house to house fighting, Akka bringing down the Sareotic Library, Fanayal collapsing the section of wall at Shimeh.

Edited by larrytheimp

Posted (edited)

Moreover, the WLW was born as the result of lax enforcement of building codes.

Two hundred and fifty-seven years before, a Shigeki builder had saved twenty-eight silver talents by purchasing burnt brick from farther up the River Sempis, where the clay was riddled with sand. Aside from the tan hue, the tenement he raised was indistinguishable from the others. Over the course of the following centuries, the flood-waters had twice risen high enough to lave the southernmost pylons. Though the damage appeared minimal, sheets of material had fallen from the base of the outermost support, lending it a gnawed look, which for some reason, seemed to attract urinating dogs.

It toppled exactly when it should, drawing with it an entire quadrant, collapsing four floors of apartments and crushing all the unfortunates within.

Bakker, R. Scott. The Judging Eye: Book 1 of the Aspect-Emperor (pp. 211-212). Little, Brown Book Group. Kindle Edition.

A hasty reading may misunderstand this as a presentist critique of pre-modern societies, and their insufficient organisation, bureaucracy, and command of materials science. It is not. For  verily – Bakker knows his sources, he is nothing if not intertextual – we have in Deuteronomy 22:8 New King James Version (NKJV):

When you build a new house, then you shall make a parapet for your roof, that you may not bring guilt of bloodshed on your household if anyone falls from it.

Building codes ever have fallen within the compass of what is holy, what is exalted. Building codes are not merely read and followed. They are Witnessed.

Thematically, the birth-and-death of the White-Luck Warrior by neglicence ties in with Ouroboros, the snake devouring itself. There is also a postmodernist reading in the tradition of Lacan, where the collapse of a building must be understood as an anti-erection. Then, the relationship between the WLW (the result of an anti-erection) to Psatma Nannaferi is anti-Oedipal; their eventual copulation an inversion of the complex.

These books reward a close reading.

Edited by Happy Ent

Posted (edited)

an allusion to the "Panopticon" and both the "soul" as a ledger

right.  the text is all over discipline & punish, from the title on down. there's probably more that can be done with them, such as how the inchoroi approach to sex is quite literally an ars erotica, whereas the dunyain approach is equally literally a scientia sexualis.

Edited by sologdin

6 hours ago, Happy Ent said:

Moreover, the WLW was born as the result of lax enforcement of building codes.

A hasty reading may misunderstand this as a presentist critique of pre-modern societies, and their insufficient organisation, bureaucracy, and command of materials science. It is not. For  verily – Bakker knows his sources, he is nothing if not intertextual – we have in Deuteronomy 22:8 New King James Version (NKJV):

Building codes ever have fallen within the compass of what is holy, what is exalted. Building codes are not merely read and followed. They are Witnessed.

Thematically, the birth-and-death of the White-Luck Warrior by neglicence ties in with Ouroboros, the snake devouring itself. There is also a postmodernist reading in the tradition of Lacan, where the collapse of a building must be understood as an anti-erection. Then, the relationship between the WLW (the result of an anti-erection) to Psatma Nannaferi is anti-Oedipal; their eventual copulation an inversion of the complex.

These books reward a close reading.

10/10