US Politics: In Through the Out Door

DMC

Ouch.

http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2018/11/2018-us-senate-midterm-election-results.html

11:11 EST: Democrats lose another heartbreaker as Claire McCaskill loses to Josh Hawley in Missouri. McCaskill’s luck in this red-state finally ran out, as terrible losing margins in rural areas sank her against the state’s Attorney General. This was a race she looked to be narrowly leading in, and another in which Trump will take credit for the late win.

Just saw that Fitzpatrick held on in PA-1, so there will be at least one Clinton-won CD still held by Republicans. I assume he'll be a top target in 2020.

ETA: Hurd in TX-23 also held on, so that's a second one.

On the other hand, OK-5 is a Dem flip and I don't think anyone saw that coming.

3 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

Van Jones says that with the Democrats taking control of the House, the new Democratic Party is "younger, browner, cooler."

There's no better way to convince kids you're cool than to have Van Jones tell you these stiff shirts are "younger, browner, cooler!"

9 minutes ago, DMC said:

Heh.  You seem to have some personal animus towards them, no?

Its my home state originally. And I just can't stand that a state as blue as New York has been consistently stymied from having a state government representative of, and responsive to, its voters.

31 minutes ago, DMC said:

The mods have clearly been lax, but figured we should take a breath and start a new one.

Unless you report a thread, mods don't tend to take a look at specific ones to shut them down. FYI. 

Starting to see reports that Democrats probably flipped the NH House, on top of flipping the Senate earlier this evening. NH has wild swings, but kinda odd this happened even as Sununu was winning reelection (albeit by a much smaller margin than most expected).

29 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

Ouch.

http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2018/11/2018-us-senate-midterm-election-results.html

11:11 EST: Democrats lose another heartbreaker as Claire McCaskill loses to Josh Hawley in Missouri. McCaskill’s luck in this red-state finally ran out, as terrible losing margins in rural areas sank her against the state’s Attorney General. This was a race she looked to be narrowly leading in, and another in which Trump will take credit for the late win.

That's pretty brutal. So basically every marginal Dem Senator save Manchin lost, right? And FL was leaning that way too. Yikes. 

Yeah, my feelings are decidedly mixed right now.  I feel like this was a real missed opportunity for the Democrats.  The Senate map will hinge on how AZ/NV shake out, but it looks like 2020 is going to be at least a really tough road, possibly only a little easier than 2018 was.  The governorships are looking like the Republicans managed to win almost every close race, which really sucks.  Maybe the Democrats can hold on to WI?

Archived