US Politics: In Through the Out Door

DMC

Just now, SweetPea said:

I don't see why Trump would want to shut down the Mueller Probe. It's close to ending anyway, and it will give Trump a popularity boost when Mueller announces he has nothing on him.

lol

Just now, Lollygag said:

Heard that Tester's family goes back several generations into Montana and he's a real rancher. Not so with his opponent. The piece said that these go a long way there.

Yeah, Tester is a real character.  He owns a small Montana farm and he works the land there like 6 months of the year.  He lost two fingers in some farm machinery when he was young, and he really lives the "I'm a regular guy" kind of ethos.  Most politicians aren't able or even interested in putting in the time to remain in touch with the work and the struggles of working class people.  Not that working on a farm all the time necessarily makes someone a better Senator, but it certainly has a lot of appeal in Montana. 

The timing of the Sessions thing is interesting.  If Trump really felt like Republicans "won" the midterms, he'd let that dominate the news cycle for a couple more days.  But he wants to move on to other things. 

Well, didn't the other guy read like a witsec story.

Real Estate Developer from New Jersey relocated to Montana.

Just now, SweetPea said:

I don't see why Trump would want to shut down the Mueller Probe. It's close to ending anyway, and it will give Trump a popularity boost when Mueller announces he has nothing on him.

HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Good one.

4 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Yeah, Tester is a real character.  He owns a small Montana farm and he works the land there like 6 months of the year.  He lost two fingers in some farm machinery when he was young, and he really lives the "I'm a regular guy" kind of ethos.  Most politicians aren't able or even interested in putting in the time to remain in touch with the work and the struggles of working class people.  Not that working on a farm all the time necessarily makes someone a better Senator, but it certainly has a lot of appeal in Montana. 

I believe they actually used the saying “big hat, no cattle” against Tester’s opponent.

In other news, Lindsay Graham, who just a few months ago said there would be hell to pay if Sessions was fired, just rolled over and died.

Just now, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Well, didn't the other guy read like a witsec story.

Real Estate Developer from New Jersey relocated to Montana.

HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Good one.

To be fair, which is the new 'actually,' it's unlikely Trump cares enough about young Jr anyway, amirite :p

3 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

I believe they actually used the saying “big hat, no cattle” against Tester’s opponent.

In other news, Lindsay Graham, who just a few months ago said there would be hell to pay if Sessions was fired, just rolled over and died.

You may have missed it, but a few months ago, Graham actually reversed and said that he would support Trump firing Sessions after the midterms. It is likey that he wants the job himself, it would explain his groveling and debasement and that shameful performance during the Kav hearing.

18 minutes ago, Ormond said:

The Democrats in Montana seem so good at pulling out statewide races in Montana, is there any way they can hold workshops for Democrats in other small "Red" states like Idaho, the Dakotas, and Nebraska to help them win in the future? Or is there something about Montana that's too unique to transfer? 

It’s not as good as it looks. Tester goes back generations in Montana, was quite popular in the state prior to the election, and is the only working farmer in Congress, and he still could just barely beat back a challenge from a Johnny come lately with an out of state accent.

Democrats are doing better there than in many other places, but it doesn’t mean they’re doing well. Winning a statewide election in a red state will be quite the challenge for dems as long as Trump and co. keep whipping the base into a frenzy.

10 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

The timing of the Sessions thing is interesting.  If Trump really felt like Republicans "won" the midterms, he'd let that dominate the news cycle for a couple more days.  But he wants to move on to other things. 

He also distracted by going after Acosta and the media today at the press conference.

2 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

He also distracted by going after Acosta and the media today at the press conference.

Nah, that was equal parts petulance and pandering. He's not smart. But his rash stupidity is so, so exploitable I can see how it might seem like Trump may know what he's doing. 

1 minute ago, Martell Spy said:

Love how he accused a black reporter of asking a racist question when she asked about his stated embrace of nationalism and the emboldening of white nationalists.

14 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

I don't think that's a good take on Trump. What makes you think Trump has any kind of discipline to wait a couple days to do something mean to someone he hates? He has been waiting for this day for months now. This was his Christmas. It also explains why he cared so much more about Senate races - because this was his gift if he got the Senate to stay GOP. 

1 minute ago, Kalbear said:

I don't think that's a good take on Trump. What makes you think Trump has any kind of discipline to wait a couple days to do something mean to someone he hates? He has been waiting for this day for months now. This was his Christmas. It also explains why he cared so much more about Senate races - because this was his gift if he got the Senate to stay GOP. 

Meh, Trump has no discipline in giving press conferences, but he is quite capable of letting the media enjoy a positive story of him.  And I've no doubt he loves the partly true (and that's more true than most things this administration says) narrative that "Trump saved the Senate". 

This is the new acting AG. 

Also, Fox News legal analyst Andrew Napolitano says Trump may be breaking the law by bypassing Rod Rosenstein for someone who was never confirmed by the Senate. 

“Under the law, the person running the Department of Justice must have been approved by the United States Senate for some previous position. Even on an interim post,” Napolitano said.

Napolitano continued saying that next in line for the position is Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein.

“[Whitaker] was not confirmed by the United States Senate for a leadership position at the Justice Department. The White House will have to work this out. Who has been confirmed and who’s next in line? Deputy attorney general Rosenstein,” he said.

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/11/fox-news-legal-analyst-says-trump-violated-the-law-by-appointing-matt-whitaker-as-acting-attorney-general/

1 minute ago, Maithanet said:

Meh, Trump has no discipline in giving press conferences, but he is quite capable of letting the media enjoy a positive story of him.  

I really don't think this is accurate at all. Can you think of examples? Because I can think of things like how he fucked up interview after interview after getting good press, or did stupid things after various events, etc. 

2 minutes ago, Trebla said:

This is the new acting AG. 

Also, Fox News legal analyst Andrew Napolitano says Trump may be breaking the law by bypassing Rod Rosenstein for someone who was never confirmed by the Senate. 

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/11/fox-news-legal-analyst-says-trump-violated-the-law-by-appointing-matt-whitaker-as-acting-attorney-general/

Rosenstein is heading to the White House right now, so this might be more of a massacre to get to the next person in line. 

2 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

I really don't think this is accurate at all. Can you think of examples? Because I can think of things like how he fucked up interview after interview after getting good press, or did stupid things after various events, etc.  

It's hard to come up with examples because Trump does so few things that get praise in the media.  But he still brings up his election win to anyone who will listen, he loved the positive press he got for the Gorsuch nomination, he loves whenever the media mentions his role as a kingmaker in Republican primaries. 

It's hard to come up with examples because Trump does so few things that get praise in the media.  But he still brings up his election win to anyone who will listen, he loved the positive press he got for the Gorsuch nomination, he loves whenever the media mentions his role as a kingmaker in Republican primaries. 

Sure. And it's all part of his long game to stop the ghostly caravan. 

Sure, he loves all those things - no doubt, and no argument. But when has he been able to hold his tone on bringing new things up and let a news cycle just cherish him? Here's an example - almost immediately after he did the North Korea summit, he did the separation of families at the border. Like, not one day later. He could have easily ridden that for a week or more, but nope. 

Self aggrandizement he'll do in spades, but self-control? Not a chance. 

Archived