US Politics: In Through the Out Door

DMC

Tennessee only had one race yesterday that mattered from a national perspective, and unfortunately it was a senate race that went to a noted Trump sycophant and bought-and-paid-for sack of rotten dogshit. Now they're touting "first woman senator from Tennessee." LOL, as if Marsha Blackburn gives a rat's ass about issues affecting women. 

Not that Bredesen would have been worlds better, but at least he has some liberal leanings. Blackburn represents everything that's wrong with this country.

Just now, Kalbear said:

Sure, he loves all those things - no doubt, and no argument. But when has he been able to hold his tone on bringing new things up and let a news cycle just cherish him? Here's an example - almost immediately after he did the North Korea summit, he did the separation of families at the border. Like, not one day later. He could have easily ridden that for a week or more, but nope.

You're partly right, Trump always wants to move on to the next big thing, it's his way of asserting dominance, which is what he considers leadership.  But even a qualified midterm win is a much bigger deal than any of the things I cited or the very hollow North Korean achievement.  I'd expect him to wait a day.

9 minutes ago, Ferrum Aeternum said:

Tennessee only had one race yesterday that mattered from a national perspective, and unfortunately it was a senate race that went to a noted Trump sycophant and bought-and-paid-for sack of rotten dogshit. Now they're touting "first woman senator from Tennessee." LOL, as if Marsha Blackburn gives a rat's ass about issues affecting women. 

Not that Bredesen would have been worlds better, but at least he has some liberal leanings. Blackburn represents everything that's wrong with this country.

I listened to part of her victory speech, played here in Canada in a news report about victorious women, and I almost puked.

Really, no one should feel sad that Jeff Sessions is no longer Attorney General (since to quote the ACLU, he was the worst in recent history), but at the same time no one should feel happy Jeff Sessions is no longer AG.

Forget health care, its time for the House to get Trump's tax returns. By the next election cycle no one will remember the House did this.

4 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

I listened to part of her victory speech, played here in Canada in a news report about victorious women, and I almost puked.

She was my congressional rep when I lived outside of Memphis city limits, so I've had more than my share of her over the years. 

I had hopes Bredesen could win the seat as he was a very popular governor, but Blackburn's team turned up the volume over the last month with the mudslinging and fear-mongering. Again, Bredesen is by no means perfect (he's been known to appease GOP interests, even coming out in support of the Kavanaugh nomination) but virtually anything would've been better than Blackburn.

54 minutes ago, Paladin of Ice said:

It’s not as good as it looks. Tester goes back generations in Montana, was quite popular in the state prior to the election, and is the only working farmer in Congress, and he still could just barely beat back a challenge from a Johnny come lately with an out of state accent.

Democrats are doing better there than in many other places, but it doesn’t mean they’re doing well. Winning a statewide election in a red state will be quite the challenge for dems as long as Trump and co. keep whipping the base into a frenzy.

Well, but it's not just Tester. Montana has a Democratic governor, Steve Bullock. who won re-election in 2016 while Trump was winning Montana, and, though he's a Montana native, he's a lawyer, not a farmer. 

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/opinion-steve-bullock-2020_us_5b9979a1e4b0511db3e8ddd1

1 hour ago, Morpheus said:

You may have missed it, but a few months ago, Graham actually reversed and said that he would support Trump firing Sessions after the midterms. It is likey that he wants the job himself, it would explain his groveling and debasement and that shameful performance during the Kav hearing.

This is one thing I’ve never understood. Why give up a safe Senate seat, especially one with some really choice committee assignments, for two years as AG? Seems like an odd career move.

Just now, Tywin et al. said:

This is one thing I’ve never understood. Why give up a safe Senate seat, especially one with some really choice committee assignments, for two years as AG? Seems like an odd career move.

I think the original plan did not involve a two year time limit. But rather four to eight before retiring, or running as governor or whatever.

That's of course assuming Session was to some degree just (willfully) oblivious to the legal troubles this administration would face.

25 minutes ago, Crazydog7 said:

I’m still sort of in shock.  After 14 years of voting in South Carolina my vote for Joe Cunningham actually mattered.  Never would have happened if the Republican running against him hadn’t been so heavily in favor of off shore drilling. 

Which of course is a perfect example of why the Democrats should always run a good candidate in every district, just in case the opponent makes a mistake like this. 

26 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

I think the original plan did not involve a two year time limit. But rather four to eight before retiring, or running as governor or whatever.

That's of course assuming Session was to some degree just (willfully) oblivious to the legal troubles this administration would face.

I'm talking about Graham, not Sessions. Sessions is a decade older, was an outsider in the Senate and the AG position allowed him to fulfill many life times goals. Graham, OTOH, is popular with the caucus, loves being a senator, is on the committee many consider to be the most choice (appropriations) and if he accepts this role he may be out of politics in two years. It just doesn't make sense.

14 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I'm talking about Graham, not Sessions. Sessions is a decade older, was an outsider in the Senate and the AG position allowed him to fulfill many life times goals. Graham, OTOH, is popular with the caucus, loves being a senator, is on the committee many consider to be the most choice (appropriations) and if he accepts this role he may be out of politics in two years. It just doesn't make sense.

With a bigger margin in the Senate, they can nominate a drooling ghoul like Giuliani or Kobach.

The thing about Montana compared to the surrounding states is that it has the unique combination of some relatively large liberal cities compared to the rural populations (which the Dakotas and Wyoming don't have) and it has a small Mormon population (unlike Idaho, which is why the greater Boise area is never enough to flip the state).

Think your vote doesn't matter?

BUCKHORN, Ky. (AP) — For at least the third time this year, a coin flip will be used to break a tied Kentucky vote.

A coin flip Thursday is expected to decide whether Perry County in Buckhorn Lake State Park is allowed to sell alcohol after a local referendum ended in a tie. The park and 1,200-acre lake is nestled in a dry precinct about 50 miles (80 kilometers) from the Virginiaborder.

The Tuesday vote was 155-155. State law allows tie votes to be settled with a coin flip.

Rosa Pollard, Perry's deputy county clerk, says a board of election member will flip the coin on Thursday. Pollard, who has worked in the officer for 24 years, says it's the first tie vote she can remember.

"I've never seen a tie," she said.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/kentucky/articles/2018-11-07/heads-or-tails-to-drink-coin-flip-to-settle-kentucky-vote

Archived