US Politics: In Through the Out Door

DMC

1 minute ago, DMC said:

Don't tell me how my cynicism was shaped.  I was raised in an incredibly privileged environment that emphasized optimism in the possible changes for the future.  Looking back, that was literally the curriculum.  That and they are not to blame for me being a cynical asshole.  I would have been a cynical asshole no matter where or how I was raised - let alone it's "political culture."

So you are saying that personality it's 100% nature and 0% nurture? I'd better alert every biologist and psychologist in the world and let them know that genetic determinism IS the truth. The internet has spoken.

6 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

So you are saying that personality it's 100% nature and 0% nurture? 

No. I'm simply saying I am inherently cynical.  No need to broaden that conclusion - because doing so is not only amusingly stupid, it's entirely inaccurate.

7 hours ago, The Marquis de Leech said:

On the Senate front, I'm looking at it this way: it was a rough night. But it would have been Armageddon under President Hillary Clinton.

It's meaningless, really. The only number that would have mattered is 51 seats, and we weren't getting that. So let's all calm down about that and look at the positives--and build on them. 

12 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

RGB fell in court and has three broken ribs...not sure how relevant it is to this thread, but I was reminded of the (somewhat ghoulish) discussion of the mortality of various SC judges yesterday.

I also just read that something similar happened in 2012 and she didnt disclose it for months to the public. So this may very well be nothing. 

14 hours ago, DMC said:

There's plenty of other Speakers/minority leaders that could be as adept at fundraising and whipping.  My preference for Pelosi to be gone has nothing to do with her.  It has to do with the fact the GOP has used her as a boogeywoman for over a decade.  Time for that to stop.  But it won't, because she'll cling to power like any other douchebag instead of doing what's best for the party.

We’re of a like mind on this. I just think they’ll do the same to any other potential Speaker unless that person is a white male from the Midwest. So Tim Ryan it is.

11 minutes ago, SeanF said:

Thanks..  Do you have a link for Arizona.

There's no updates on Arizona yet. They are waiting until 5pm today to start releasing newer vote totals.

I've been a member of this board for almost 7 years. It's funny that we have gone from having regular arguments about gun control and opening threads when a mass shooting happened to not even mentioning such event.

An important fact. Trump and the NRA claim all you have to do is put security in schools and churches and bars and that'll end all this nonsense. The California shooter, who probably was familiar with the bar, was a 28 year old Marine Corps veteran who first shot the security outside the bar and then when he entered the bar immediately shot the security guys inside. And kills the first police officer through the door.

Some of the people in the bar survived the Las Vegas shooting....

I can't think of another western democracy where people survive one mass shooting and get gunned down in another. I've heard of a few people that this has happened to already. A survivor of the theater shooting a few years ago got killed in another mass shooting somewhere else, and someone else a well.

There was an incident at his home a while ago and they sent in the mental health team, concerned he suffered from PTSD. He was cleared the same day. Someone is going to feel pretty badly about that decision. Someone might be getting sued for that decision.

10 hours ago, Paladin of Ice said:

Gotta agree with Trisk, I don’t take what Pelosi or Schumer are saying at face value at all. Of course they don’t expect Republicans to suddenly stand up for what’s right or for Trump to do a 180 and be a reasonable deal maker, they’re saying it because it’s what is the traditionally expected and ritual thing to say, and so when Republicans turn around and spit on the outstretched hand, Democrats can turn around to the press and the people and say “Well, we tried, and you all saw it.”

What they don’t seem to get is that the traditional way is outdated and, for the foreseeable future, as meaningless as yesterday’s garbage. The press isn’t an impartial ref between the sides, it’s mostly giant corporations that will bend over backwards to avoid alienating potential customers, even if that means utterly neglecting their basic function. When a large segment of potential customers (right wingers) insist that the sky isn’t blue but yellow and purple polka dots and constantly rail against you for not giving fair treatment to the polka dot theory, most corporate media will find a way to twist their reporting to not directly contradict the polka dot point of view.

The general public doesn’t care either, since most of them only pay loose attention to political news at best, and often only when there’s an election around the corner. (political junkies who constantly follow the news and talk about it in person or online are very much outside the norm.)About the only thing they really care about is effectiveness, not whether you’re doing something the right way or according to the rules.

Democratic politicians are like an athletic competitor whose opponent blatantly cheats, so Democrats look to the ref and the crowd to plead their case and get rewarded. Except the ref is just shrugging and letting things go on, the crowd is not actually watching the action, and the opponent is using the chance to rack up the points, however illegally they’ve been gained. When the crowd finally does tune in to see what the final score was, all they see are that Democrats are losers.

Dems keep thinking someday they’ll be rewarded for trying to win strictly according to the rules, that the ref will call fouls and/or disqualify the opponent and the crowd will run the opponent out of town, but bottom line it looks pretty damn unlikely, and if it does ever happen it’s going to be at the margins and not a deciding factor.

That is what I think Dems can’t or won’t wrap their heads around. They’re still gesturing to the ref and crowd and nothing is going to happen.

:cheers:

This times 1,000. And since you introduced sports, just look at interviews with athletes. They always say what they have to, even though everyone knows they’re BSing and not giving their real thoughts. That’s exactly what’s happening here with Democratic leadership. They know exactly what Trump is. They don’t have any illusions.

40 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

Chris Christie beibg consired for AG.

Honestly, considering some of the other options Trump could probably get through the senate, Christie is far from the worst choice. At least he has an actual history in law enforcement and is not an out-and-out racist.

WaPo article on this impact of Florida ex-cons being able to vote.

Obviously there are some huge caviats to that data, particularly that ex-cons vote at the rate of the average Floridian (I seriously doubt that).  Nonetheless, it finds that these voters would have been a net increase of between 80k and 150k votes in the Senate race, which would be more than enough to put Nelson (or Gillum) over the top. 

Archived