Believe it or not, I am working hard on a lot of things (yes, including WINDS)

7 hours ago, Prince Yourwetdream Aeryn said:

7 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

Not very encouraging, that it comes as an afterthought, and there is nothing positive or sense of excitement in his statement.

7 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

Not very encouraging, that it comes as an afterthought, and there is nothing positive or sense of excitement in his statement.

Remember in 2015 when he canceled all his convention appearances to make a push to get winds out before the big Jon snow parentage reveal in season 6 of the show?  Yeah. Good times. 

God bless him, he intends to keep tinkering at this.  Wants to do it himself.  But when he finally finishes Winds, at age 80, and Dany still has not reached Westeros, perhaps he will consider hiring a younger writer to churn out the next 6 volumes under his supervision.

43 minutes ago, Platypus Rex said:

God bless him, he intends to keep tinkering at this.  Wants to do it himself.  But when he finally finishes Winds, at age 80, and Dany still has not reached Westeros, perhaps he will consider hiring a younger writer to churn out the next 6 volumes under his supervision.

That's my anxiety mostly, that the quality will go down, maybe not for Winds but the next one, because I'm starting to age and my memory is already not what it used to be and I'm decades younger than George!  The series is an extremely layered production. I know George is a genius but there are a lot of threads to tie up for the last book.  I hope he has good help in the continuity area not only with the plot and characters but the symbols and parallels he has so generously textured the series with. I do think the series has the potential to become a classic but not if it can't be brought home, and age does unfortunately factor in.  So for George's own posterity, I hope he can write the last one more quickly than this one.

C'mon kids. Give the man a break. I know it is disheartening but if you think that locking George in his room with food, water and his PC will make him to write faster, you know nothing about doing creative work.

I quite sure he truly wants to finish Winds but I'm also sure that there are many issues to be solved, in particular timelines (Dany vs Westeros ones). He apparently wants to stick to only two more books and I don't see how unless they are damn long. Etc,

You don't get out of these problems by locking yourself unless you want to do a mediocre work. You need to speak to people, hear/read other ideas, complete side work (e.g. world building, fic history, etc), do some research, you need air, you need space, sometimes you need mental distance from your work to gain perspective, you need to discuss your work with others, etc.

I know myself that, because I'm six years late of presenting some important work and every summer I think I'm closer but I'm not. Maybe next one?

Archived