US Politics: Dead Pimps Need Not Apply

aceluby

A lot of things spring to mind with the events of the last week

A.       Somewhat surprised Trump just hasn’t declared martial law (although I guess the week isn’t over yet)

B.      God it never fucking changes when a Republican wins all they do is crow about an incredible mandate from heaven they have been given but when they lose it has to have been voter fraud.  Guys get some new material. 

At least now the Democrats have the potential for some real victories and not just the symbolic ones we have been consoling ourselves with for two years. 

On a nonpolitical note I am more then a little disgusted with myself right now mass shootings have become so commonplace in this country its like waiting for a new Netflix season to drop.  The banality and regularity of it all is the most horrifying part.    

6 hours ago, Triskele said:

It's being reported that the Mueller team is working on the final draft of their report.  ETA:  And allegedly the main areas are Russian interference in election, collusion with Trump campaign, and then obstruction of justice by Trump.  

Anyone who is not blind knows #3 is legit.  And with 1 and 2 there's so much smoke, but it's very hard to tell how deep the whole thing might or might not go.  

It's good that the report is about to be released, since Mueller's days are numbered.

But the absence of financial misdeeds from your list is a negative. One would have hoped that Mueller had found something really juicy there.

28 minutes ago, Rippounet said:

It's good that the report is about to be released, since Mueller's days are numbered.

But the absence of financial misdeeds from your list is a negative. One would have hoped that Mueller had found something really juicy there.

You mean financial crimes beyond things like the money laundering for oligarchs that could be folded into the foreign interference, like their generalized fraudulent business practices, right?   I’ve been assuming that there’s a world of hurt to that end coming from NY state (with the bonus that state crimes can’t be federally pardoned).

11 hours ago, Rippounet said:

Just a pretentiously written essay to claim the death of universalism thanks to Donald Trump.

Thanks.

I tried to find a point, but couldn't locate one, and just left with my head hurting.

9 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

Wonderful. Governor Scott in Florida has called out Florida police to investigate the Senate race in Florida, for voter fraud. There has to be fraud, first he led by 50k votes (I'm not using the exact numbers) then it was 30k, then later in the day it was 20k, and now it's 15k. Obviously the Democrats are involved in voter fraud.

And just as obviously the Democrats are smuggling in fake ballots. The president agrees.

There was a whole box of provisional ballots left behind in a school in Miramar (Broward, of course).

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/415837-teacher-says-she-discovered-ballot-box-left-behind-at-florida

I am quite hopeful about Arizona. From what I have read, it is normal for the ballots counted later in Arizona to break more for Democrats than Republicans. On election night I saw Jeff Flake say that in his last race for the Senate, on election night he was leading by 5% but the final tally had him up by 3%, and the distance between McSally and Sinema on election night was less than 2%. So I think there is a better than 50% chance that Sinema has won that seat.

39 minutes ago, Ormond said:

I am quite hopeful about Arizona. From what I have read, it is normal for the ballots counted later in Arizona to break more for Democrats than Republicans. On election night I saw Jeff Flake say that in his last race for the Senate, on election night he was leading by 5% but the final tally had him up by 3%, and the distance between McSally and Sinema on election night was less than 2%. So I think there is a better than 50% chance that Sinema has won that seat.

That's great news.  Yeah, McSally was up 0.9% (16k votes) a day ago, and right now Sinema is up 0.5% (9k votes).  Definitely not in the bag, but I'm hoping.

Who knows about Florida, some people definitely sounding like Nelson has a real hope of coming out ahead.  I'm not sure if this is just Democratic operatives who are trying to spin it as a real chance to combat the Republican growing desire not to count all the votes in the (very unlikely) scenario that Nelson pulls ahead, or if there's actually hope that Nelson can close the remaining 15k gap.  I'm still pessimistic.

However, IF that would to happen, it would really (REALLY) destroy the Republican narrative of a mixed win in the midterms.  Hell, even just Sinema winning would do real damage to that. 

8 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

That's great news.  Yeah, McSally was up 0.9% (16k votes) a day ago, and right now Sinema is up 0.5% (9k votes).  Definitely not in the bag, but I'm hoping.

Who knows about Florida, some people definitely sounding like Nelson has a real hope of coming out ahead.  I'm not sure if this is just Democratic operatives who are trying to spin it as a real chance to combat the Republican growing desire not to count all the votes in the (very unlikely) scenario that Nelson pulls ahead, or if there's actually hope that Nelson can close the remaining 15k gap.  I'm still pessimistic.

However, IF that would to happen, it would really (REALLY) destroy the Republican narrative of a mixed win in the midterms.  Hell, even just Sinema winning would do real damage to that. 

The Arizona GOP sued to stop mail-ins from being counted. Cindy McCain was one of the people whose votes haven't been counted yet.

She is NOT pleased.

5 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

From what I can tell, it sounds like there are only a few thousand provisional ballots left to count, along with maybe a thousand mail-in ballots from Palm Beach (Broward claims they finished their's). Not enough to close the gap even if all of them were for Nelson, but it'll help narrow things more.

What'll decide things is if the strange undervote for the senate race in the parts of Broward that are in the FL-24 House district is due to machine error not counting votes cast or due to poor ballot design causing people to miss the race entirely. If its the former, the hand recount will catch it, and will hopefully be enough; if its the later, there's nothing to be done I think. You can't award votes that aren't there that you think you'd get.

Today is the 80th anniversary of Kristallnacht. Given the recent massacre at the Tree of Life synagogue and the general rise of antisemitism and hate crimes, it’s important to remember our history. The Nazis didn’t start off wanting to commit a genocide. It was in the back of the mind for some, but it was a slow process over eight years that led to the Final Solution. Knowing that, I find it deeply disturbing that Trump continues to double down on division and hate in the attempts for electoral gain. And he’s always pushing the limit. I fear that he may go farther than he ever intended because he lacks the understanding of what he is doing.  

58 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Today is the 80th anniversary of Kristallnacht. Given the recent massacre at the Tree of Life synagogue and the general rise of antisemitism and hate crimes, it’s important to remember our history. The Nazis didn’t start off wanting to commit a genocide. It was in the back of the mind for some, but it was a slow process over eight years that led to the Final Solution. Knowing that, I find it deeply disturbing that Trump continues to double down on division and hate in the attempts for electoral gain. And he’s always pushing the limit. I fear that he may go farther than he ever intended because he lacks the understanding of what he is doing.  

That's a succinct point. I mean be real, how far out of proportion to current realities is it to imagine Donald Trump saying "Tomorrow we're gonna beat the fuck out of and/or round up every illegal. Go. Just do that." on twitter?

1 hour ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

For the Speaker of the House, we need an African American man (or woman), who will then subpoena Trump tax records.

So Trump will finally have a black man counting his money.

A black woman is going to be in charge of the finance committee. That should make him bonkers. 

54 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

That's a succinct point. I mean be real, how far out of proportion to current realities is it to imagine Donald Trump saying "Tomorrow we're gonna beat the fuck out of and/or round up every illegal. Go. Just do that." on twitter?

Well for perspective, Trump’s last campaign ad straight up said people need to be afraid of foreign minorities and Kemp, the Republican candidate for governor in Georgia, ran ads saying he’s got a big ol’ pickup truck in case he sees illegals he needs to round up, so we’re not all that far off already. The larger point is that this kind of hate is incremental, and once your next step has been legitimized, you nudge it a little further.

1 hour ago, Crazy Cat Lady in Training said:

A black woman is going to be in charge of the finance committee. That should make him bonkers. 

Trump has already left Bonkers in his dust. Looneyville is his next stop when Li'l Donny is indicted. 

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Well for perspective, Trump’s last campaign ad straight up said people need to be afraid of foreign minorities and Kemp, the Republican candidate for governor in Georgia, ran ads saying he’s got a big ol’ pickup truck in case he sees illegals he needs to round up, so we’re not all that far off already. The larger point is that this kind of hate is incremental, and once your next step has been legitimized, you nudge it a little further.

For perspective, people threatened Tucker Carlson and tried to break into his house while his wife was home alone. They said he is inciting hatred and  violence and murder, and needs to be stopped. Lots of people on the far left either downplay it as "just protesting", or admit that they think it's deserved. I think this warrants a mention in a discussion about the source of division and polarization today. For perspective.

Archived