US Politics: Dead Pimps Need Not Apply

aceluby

Please tell me I’m not the only person who read that and pictured some evil rich villain in a movie who is just about to complete his sinister master plan only to realize he got everything wrong and then immediately dies.

The movie The Ninth Gate was first to come to mind when the villain sets himself on fire to merge with Satan only to realize he screwed up the puzzle.

I didn’t think I’d see anything funnier than that screed in this thread today, but then FB not getting Dante’s joke happened….

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

Please tell me I’m not the only person who read that and pictured some evil rich villain in a movie who is just about to complete his sinister master plan only to realize he got everything wrong and then immediately dies.

The movie The Ninth Gate was first to come to mind when the villain sets himself on fire to merge with Satan only to realize he screwed up the puzzle.

I didn’t think I’d see anything funnier than that screed in this thread today, but then FB not getting Dante’s joke happened….

*sighs*

My joke went over your head as well?

2 hours ago, Chaircat Meow said:

snip

I don't claim to be a Shakespeare or anything. Nor do I claim to be a first rate, or even a second rate, a third rate or a fourth rate, grammarian.

But it seems to me this has to be a strong contender for this year's Ayn Rand Pretentious Writing Award.

I'd write a response or something The problem is that I have no fuckin' clue as to what I just read.  None.

Maybe somebody smarter than me can explain to me what the point of this was. I have no idea.

18 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

*sighs*

My joke went over your head as well?

Maaaaaybe.

Or you could just be Fake Bird News!!!

18 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

It's MY joke no one got!

Your Dynasty team's record?

Now,  with this comment finally this election feels satisfying. Thanks, Pat.

Former Representative Pat Tiberi of Ohio, a long-serving Republican who resigned in January to take a private-sector job, said Republicans had “overreached” and handed Democrats a decisive advantage on health care as a political issue.

“We probably should have taken on infrastructure in a bipartisan way first and then maybe tax reform next, rather than health care first,” Mr. Tiberi said.

The Lesson That Republicans Will (Probably) Take From the 2018 Midterms

http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2018/11/heres-what-republicans-will-learn-from-the-2018-midterms.html

6 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

Now,  with this comment finally this election feels satisfying. Thanks, Pat.

http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2018/11/heres-what-republicans-will-learn-from-the-2018-midterms.html

Which is why I don't want to see House Dems take on Trump's tax reform and create the same gridlocks that the GOP had done with the ACA. It could hurt their image.

29 minutes ago, OldGimletEye said:

I'd write write response or something The problem is that I have no fuckin' clue as to what I just read.  None.

Just use this: http://www.elsewhere.org/journal/pomo/

Refresh a couple times and stitch them together and you'll be set.

Although I applaud his effort, that is bleeding-edge, upper echelon nonsense of the finest caliber.

18 minutes ago, OldGimletEye said:

I'd write write response or something The problem is that I have no fuckin' clue as to what I just read.  None.

Maybe somebody smarter than me can explain to me what the point of this was. I have no idea.

Just a pretentiously written essay to claim the death of universalism thanks to Donald Trump.

The central thesis isn't that crazy, but one could write a far more convincing and legible piece with half the words. I assume the overly pompous style is an attempt at humor. Though given the author's record, I do have my doubts. After all, there are many people out there (on both sides of the political spectrum) who believe using fancy references and words somehow improves their arguments. In actuality, the grandness often serves to hide mistakes and fallacies. At the very least it makes it impossible to debunk since deciphering the thing is likely to give you a headache.

The "orange luminance" of Trump who is "like Moses descending from the mountain" is quite funny though. I do prefer comparing Trump to the God-Emperor of mankind in the Warhammer 40,000 universe myself though, if only because when you know the lore, the Emperor turns out to be a cold-hearted bastard who fully deserved what happened to him.
https://www.google.com/search?q=trump+%3B+god-emperor&client=firefox-b&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjLoIff9sXeAhVvxoUKHeNXAy8Q_AUIDigB&biw=1488&bih=944#imgrc=VsIj5TuEI85sbM:

Here’s a rad thought: if Pelosi does not have the votes to become speaker, why not make Obama speaker? It would infuriate trump, give democrats a unanimous candidate, allow Obama to become a leader of the resistance and whip up base strength and elevate the prominence of the house in national standing.

basically, trump is a super celebrity who gets tv to cover everything he does, Democrats have a celebrity like that too, but he’s currently unemployed writing a memoir while living in DC. So he’s available is what I’m saying.

Most people forget there’s no rule requiring the speaker of the house to be a member of the house 

7 minutes ago, lokisnow said:

Here’s a rad thought: if Pelosi does not have the votes to become speaker, why not make Obama speaker? It would infuriate trump, give democrats a unanimous candidate, allow Obama to become a leader of the resistance and whip up base strength and elevate the prominence of the house in national standing.

basically, trump is a super celebrity who gets tv to cover everything he does, Democrats have a celebrity like that too, but he’s currently unemployed writing a memoir while living in DC. So he’s available is what I’m saying.

Most people forget there’s no rule requiring the speaker of the house to be a member of the house 

It would be hilarious, but I suspect Obama wouldn't go for it. It was enough of a lift to just get him to do some campaigning in the run-up to the election.

Those Obama-Trump districts turning blue have filled me with a renewed faith in my fellow Americans (sort of). So, as a matter of patriotic duty to our great but terribly broken republic, I've decided to set about deprogramming some of the Trump voter friends I've fallen out with over the past few years. This will be an uphill slog, so wish me luck.

Also I'm lighting a joint for Jeff Sessions tonight. He was an odious little twerp, a bigot, and a proponent of a toxic and utterly irredeemable political ideology. But, he had the backbone to weather the Breitbart storm and keep Muller's investigation alive, so I suppose that's something. Here's to you Kreacher, may your double-jointed pixie smile smile never darken our capital again :smoking:

My heart breaks for Jason Coffman, whose 22 year old son died in the bar shooting. A interview with the devastated father, who waited all night outside the bar to find out out where his son was, is brutally sad. He tracked his son’s cell phone and saw it wasn’t moving anywhere. I guess he hoped his son had just dropped it.

The second last thing he said to his son Cody was ‘please don’t drink and drive’. The last thing he said to his son was ‘I love you’. May that comfort him in his grief.

To return to the prior thread and @DMC

This is pretty ridiculous.  Are you seriously whining about some tweet that isn't particularly "bi-partisan" nor adult but just Schumer's rather pro forma statement on the Sessions firing?  From the article linked within that same tweet, Schumer said:

Is..is that good enough for you?

To be clear, I don't personally think that. I think that the Dems - like the Republicans - need  to have a somewhat reasonable-sounding person as their primary spokesperson, and then multiple attackers in various ways who can be a bit more off the cuff and heavier if need be. I think Dems are in a pretty good spot for that - they have Pelosi, and then they have people like Waters and Schiff and Lieu to be heavier on the attack. 

But I can certainly understand the desire from people to want to have the next speaker be a very sound and fury fuck you to Trump. I think it's the wrong move, because as loud as Gingrich was, and as much stuff as he tried to get done, all he did was turn people in general away from Republicans and towards Clinton - and I suspect strongly that this is what would happen if dems go too nuts going against Trump. 

I think that the committees should hammer the fuck out of various things with subpoena power (which, thanks to Republicans, requires zero actual coordination from other committees and can be done easily and quickly), but probably start on the general view that the entire admin is corrupt as shit. Go after DeVos, go after Zinke, go after Ross (if he's still around) and Mnuchin. Pick off shitty people and pour gasoline on the fire of 'this whole place is a shitshow'. Waters can go after the taxes and get that rolling. Schiff should focus not on investigating further, but on protection and inclusion of the Mueller investigation, as well as sharing what data they have with Mueller. Probably don't impeach or investigate Kavanaugh right away. 

And definitely don't impeach Trump unless Mueller reveals massive issues even Republicans can't hide. 

But through that, Pelosi can say how she would love to compromise with Trump and make deals when it makes sense to. She can put forward bipartisan proposals for campaign finance reform, for gun regulation, for making the ACA rules more strongly defended - things that don't cost money and things that have broad public appeal - and then dare Republicans to block them. 

Archived