“All men must die” just a maxim,a mission statement, or both?

Varysblackfyre321

It seems there are hints the FM are working for the great other.

First, we see Jaqen, single out the Red god when searing his oath-as if doing so is somehow different than swearing to all the other gods.

A Clash of Kings - Arya IX

"A man's sire is long dead, but did he live, and did you know his name, he would die at your command."
"Swear it," Arya said. "Swear it by the gods."
"By all the gods of sea and air, and even him of fire, I swear it." He placed a hand in the mouth of the weirwood. "By the seven new gods and the old gods beyond count, I swear it."

Second, we have Arya presence being misconstrued by the witch of the high hearth as being Beric’s-Arya would later on go to join the FM and Beric has been blessed presumably by Rh’lor. I see you. I see you, wolf child. Blood child. I thought it was the lord who smelled of death ... You are cruel to come to my hill, cruel. I gorged on grief at Summerhall, I need none of yours. Begone from here, dark heart. Begone!

Next we hear Melisandre worry if Mance’s want to die gloriously hint follow mean he’s been corrupted by the great other; his followers dream of death.  

I also find it perplexing that after the doom of Valaryia, the slave-cities seemed to not have been bothered by the FM as they had bothered Masters in Valayria; it’s unlikely there were less people in slavery who’d be willing to make the appropriate sacrifices. And truth be told, Slaver’s bay  Hell even when an aristocrat in the free cities has slaves, they don’t seem to very much mind; Illaryio isn’t exactly being subtle that he does in fact have slaves. 

I believe a common thought as to being against the others would be that the wights the other’s use is a perversion; what dead must stay dead; but honestly, I find it unlikely that should be a real qualm for them given the corpses we see rise aren’t alive in that they have actual sentience. The corpses are simply manipulated to do a limited amount of things.

A Maxim.  For the living.   It means all of us are held accountable by the gods.  By death.  And the FM are the newest gods.  Governing the human realm of the living by sprinkling a little death here and there.  As a gardener weeds the garden, so they prune the diseased growths they find within society. 

I imagine they take particular offense when wizards try to make themselves immortal.  (All men must die, Or else the ones who make themselves exceptions to that rule begin to become new gods too, but of a less desireable sort who probably don't have full empathy for the human condition anymore, and would likely hurt society more than they helped it.  )

The FM haven't struck at Danny, have they?  They'd be watching closely to see if she can change the slaver continent in a way they couldn't accomplish through mere assassinations  (which don't eradicate the practice of slavery but just create job openings for new slavers.)  

I don't think the Faceless are "with" the Others in a doomsday cult that's s helping create an apocalypse.  They're trying to put more competent westerosi leaders in place and support their efforts!  That doesn't sound like they're scrapping humanity- - It's more like they're moving in with a salvage effort.  They might have some arcane weir- gotten lore warning them of what to expect next from the supernatural winter plotline, but I doubt they're in bed with the Great Other.  Nor do they want to "kill all humans" as Bender would say.  That wouldn't be good gardening.  

3 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

It seems there are hints the FM are working for the great other.

First, we see Jaqen, single out the Red god when searing his oath-as if doing so is somehow different than swearing to all the other gods.

A Clash of Kings - Arya IX

"A man's sire is long dead, but did he live, and did you know his name, he would die at your command."
"Swear it," Arya said. "Swear it by the gods."
"By all the gods of sea and air, and even him of fire, I swear it." He placed a hand in the mouth of the weirwood. "By the seven new gods and the old gods beyond count, I swear it."

Second, we have Arya presence being misconstrued by the witch of the high hearth as being Beric’s-Arya would later on go to join the FM and Beric has been blessed presumably by Rh’lor. I see you. I see you, wolf child. Blood child. I thought it was the lord who smelled of death ... You are cruel to come to my hill, cruel. I gorged on grief at Summerhall, I need none of yours. Begone from here, dark heart. Begone!

Next we hear Melisandre worry if Mance’s want to die gloriously hint follow mean he’s been corrupted by the great other; his followers dream of death.  

I also find it perplexing that after the doom of Valaryia, the slave-cities seemed to not have been bothered by the FM as they had bothered Masters in Valayria; it’s unlikely there were less people in slavery who’d be willing to make the appropriate sacrifices.

I believe a common thought as to being against the others would be that the wights the other’s use is a perversion; what dead must stay dead; but honestly, I find it unlikely that should be a real qualm for them given the corpses we see rise aren’t alive in that they have actual sentience. The corpses are simply manipulated to do a limited amount of things.

Neither.  It's just an observation.   People are born, live, and die.  Immortality is not an available choice.  Even the nutjobs who called themselves the Undying Ones have a finite lifespan.  They can prolong themselves beyond the normal lifespan but they will not last forever.  The wooden dicks beneath the weirwood trees live longer lives than most people but even they will die.  The cult of the faceless men perverted this observation and made themselves killers for hire.  It's a sham because they are nothing more than hired killers but it makes them feel better than a freelanced with no principles.  

• 2 weeks later...

The Faceless Men are moon-worshippers. That's why they're The House of Black and White. The moon is the goddess that is black and white. I do believe they're also linked the Moonsingers. The faces are the faces/phases of the moon, which is why they constantly change them and who they are, always reinventing themselves, just like their goddess of life and goddess of death.  The goddess even becomes "faceless" herself (on the new moon). She is both the Heart of Summer (red/black) and Heart of Winter (white/blue). She is the Maiden (not chaste), the Mother (not merciful), and the Crone (not wise). Her life cycle explains the Others (in addition to the Father-Smith-Warrior (not just or industrious or noble/honorable/chivalrous/skillful) plus Stranger/Red Comet that becomes his weapon against her and her newborn babe*). 

All the gods of Ice and Fire are mere variations on a theme, and largely they are misinterpreted (at least, for the current godhead cycle, which is a cycle at war with itself; an original cycle might have existed whereby the gods themselves had not yet fallen and they abided by their divine obligation, purpose, and mission). The earth is the oldest and most important god of all; it is "the three-headed dragon" and "the three-eyed crow*" and "the sphinx" and "the harpy" and "the great stallion," etc. 

[ETA*: I'm convinced the three-eyed crow is Jon Snow, the Corn King, and that the crow is in fact WHITE WITH RED EYES. "The crow! The crow! Under the sea, the crows are white as snow, I know, I know!" Bloodraven "A... crow?" is not the three-eyed crow, although his albinism, like Ghost's coloration or the Ghost of High Heart, do not necessarily rule him out of being the white crow, nor is Brandon Stark; Jon Snow, upon his death and descent into the underworld, becomes the three-eyed crow who is the CORN KING that presides over the FEAST OF THE DEAD (in Theon's dream, it should be JON SNOW not ROBB STARK who arrives late to the feast), and it is the CRYPTS OF WINTERFELL, from which he arrives, at the end of the corridor in the House of the Undying Ones, when the stairs go down and Dany does not know which way to turn, and as well, part of his journey from those crypts will lead him into Jaime's DOOM dream for a single combat "Is that you, Stark?", wherein Jaime will be the "icicle" that falls from above and pierces him again, before it leads him onward to the Tower of Joy and the burning of a weirwood tree and the death of his mother, plus the descent of a white dragon; He's the three-eyed crow and CORN KING and he DIES THREE TIMES before the end, which is a sort of perversion of "before the cock crows three times, you will deny me," as Jon Snow is a Messianic figure; the Christ, the lamb and the lion, the anti-Christ and the four horsemen (Dany, Aegon Young Griff, Jon Snow, Tyrion Lannister), the feast of the dead, the dragon's song of fire and blood, the weeping prince and his princess thrown from the tower, etc, as well as Jaime, Cersei's, and Tyrion's arcs are all foretold in the House of the Undying Ones as the Prince that was Promised and the Three-Headed Dragon, which all ties back to the Mother, the Others, and the dancing dragon puppets, all six!]

The original meaning of Nissa Nissa comes into play as well, as well as the original meaning of valonqar: 

Nissa Nissa 

Yss Yss = Ygg Ygg = Egg Egg = Good Egg/ Good Queen 

(Good Queen Alysanne is a strong clue as to this, as well as "the demon tree" Ygg in the Drowned God(dess) lore, as well as all our Eggs/Aegs) 

Valonqar 

To determine the meaning of Valonqar, we've got to look at several clues: naming conventions, the Disputed Lands, High Valyrian versus other Essosi languages, the Azor Ahai mythos and Nyssa Nyssa, especially as defined above. 

We see many names in ASoIaF with prefixes and suffixes, such as: 

Ly- or Lys-

Ty- or Tyr-

My- or Myr--

Ny or Nys-

-ono Mar

A-Lys-

A-Nys-

-anne or -anna

These are all important to understanding the original godhead, the three-headed dragon, the three-eyed raven, the sphinx, the harpy, the great stallion... 

It will help to pronounce these prefixes as such: Lies, Mire, Tear as in weeping or Tear as in to cut. Nys is NICE. 

Since we used Good Queen Alysanne as a clue above, I'll return to it now to help determine the meaning of Valonqar. 

These names correspond to the Disputed Lands as well, Lys, Myr, and Tyrosh, so we'll take a look at them for clues too. 

Good Queen Anne (The Earth) had three younger brothers who were her husbands and councilors (Tyrono Mar, Myrono Mar, Lysono Mar). 

They were not nice people, as the Disputed Lands suggest, and they warred amongst themselves for their sister's kingdom and crown. They each had distinct tactics: 

Tyrono Mar (the eldest and strongest and stupidest brother, a brute and a tyrant, a giant, a warrior and a knight, but unchivalrous, a Gregor Clegane figure and The Warrior of the Seven; he purchased weapons from Myr to carry into battle; he's sterile, perhaps even from a battle wound) (In the Baratheon Brother triad example of this theme, this would be ROBERT Baratheon)

Myrono Mar (the middle brother in strength and age, likely a bastard, but the smartest; a spy, a eunuch, used disguise such as a court fool, used political intrigue to achieve his aims; purchased perfumes from his younger brother, Lys, to hide the stench of corruption that clung to him, and possibly also the stench of his incontinence--urine; a Varys figure) (In the Baratheon Brother triad example of this theme, this would be STANNIS Baratheon)

Lysono Mar (the youngest and weakest brother, but in the middle-rank in cleverness; a whore, using sex and lies to achieve his aims, a beauty, used tears to achieve his aims, purchased poisons from his middle brother and was a poisoner; He is the Father of Nations and the Father of the Dragons, the only one to produce any offspring; a Littlefinger figure) (In the Baratheon Brother triad example of this theme, this would be RENLY Baratheon)

They each served the Queen as her Hand of the Queen for a SINGLE SEASON, during which time they were her primary husband, and connived to depose her and seize power for themselves. 

During that season, Good Queen Anne became ANTI- (XXX)-Anne

Which leaves us with: 

Alysanne = A- Lys- Anne = Anti Lies Anne = Honest Anne

Good Queen Honest Anne

When we apply this rule to all brothers, we get: 

Amyranne/Amyanne = A- Myr -Anne = Anti (quag)Mire Anne = Straightforward/Trustworthy Anne

Good Queen Straightforward/Trustworthy Anne

Atyranne/ Atyanne = A- Tyr- Anne = Anti Tyr(ant) Anne = Gentle Anne

Good Queen Gentle Anne

During a single season, when she ruled alone, she was 

Nys Nys or Nysanna

Good Queen Anne and Good Egg Anne 

This brings us back to Valonqar's literal meaning. 

Valonqar is the word in High Valyrian, and it DOES NOT mean "Little Brother" (Cersei has conflated the WHO--"little brothers"--with the WHAT, the MEANING) 

Valonqar should actually be written: 

Valon Qar 

This is only in High Valyrian, but other Essosi languages have a closer--and older--rendering. Such as: 

Ono Mar 

(Remember the names above: Nysono Mar, Lysono Mar, etc.)

But what does -ono Mar mean?

It means literally:

Ono is HAND

Mar is BAD

Bad Hand

Good Queen Anne was hamstrung THREE SEASONS of the year with a Bad Hand who would do her grievous harm to steal her throne for himself (Tywin Lannister, the Red Hand--stole King Robert's throne; helped Robert steal King Aerys's throne, tried to steal Aerys's throne via Cersei; Tyrion Lannister/Varys, the Green Hand--plotted to steal King Robert/Joffery/Tommen's throne for Young Griff; Petyr Baelish/Ned Stark/House Stark, the Blue Hand, plotted to steal King Robert/Joffrey/House Baratheon's throne for the Starks/Stannis, etc. I do not mean to make any moral judgments here, just boiling events down to bare bones.) 

Thus, we have: 

Tyrono Mar (the Bad Hand who is a Tyrant)

Myrono Mar (the Bad Hand who is an Entrapper)

Lysono Mar (the Bad Hand who is a Liar)

The Dothraki language includes the word "ono" as "hand" on the GoT project, which is what helped me to solve this riddle as such. 

But there's a FOURTH HAND, too, A BLACK HAND... 

So, this all brings us back to Azor Azai, Azor Ahai Reborn and Azor Ahai Come Again (two different people, in fact: Dany is AAR, Jon Snow is AACA), and what it was he did to Nyssa Nyssa to EARN the title BAD HAND (besides the dispute, of course!): 

What did Azor Ahai do?

01. He raped his sister and forcibly took her to wife, or he tricked her into having sex with him. This is to attain the kingship, to sit beside her. 

02. He was enraged when he learned she was pregnant. He did not want an HEIR, he wanted to rule forever himself. He did not even want a wife. She was a pawn in his scheme. He needed "a Hero's Blade" to win his war for the throne, he thought. So, he: 

03. Killed his son, becoming a Kinslayer, and killed his wife, becoming a Queenslayer. Nyssa Nyssa begged for her son's life, willing to trade her own for his blade, but he mocked her and laughed at her requests. His wife was pregnant when he pierced her heart to forge himself a HERO's BLADE with which to defend his kingdom. She went into labor. The baby was born with the dead (like our Stark Direwolf pups, trying to nurse upon cold sour milk, excepting Ghost). He killed the baby with three fell blows, which are: 

A. A blow to the arm, as if the child raised a hand to defend itself, cutting it off (the branches and bloody hands of the weirwood tree)

B. A blow to the belly, eviscerating him, his guts spilled out like pale graveworms (the roots of the weirwood tree)

C. A blow to the neck/throat to finish the child off, giving him a "red smile" (the bloody mouth of the weirwood tree, beneath its "bloody eyes"*) 

*The bloody eyes are hers. She weeps tears of blood when she cries her curse. 

In answer to this travesty, Nys Nys: 

01. Cried out in agony and ecstasy (giving birth, having her child killed) three times. She cried out three times, one for each blow to her son. She IS the HORN OF WINTER. 

02. She wept tears of blood. She accursed her brother-husband. She accursed him with a SPECIFIC curse, which is: The Others take you!

03. She raised her son from the dead. He opened his eyes, blue as stars, and reached out with a blackened hand (congealed blood) to take up his father's Hero's Blade and slay him with it, that she might have her vengeance at all cost (even that of her own child, like we see of Dany on the Dothraki Sea). 

Which, brings us back to: 

Anyssa and the naming convention. If Nyssa Nyssa is the Good Queen struggling against BAD HANDS, then why does this name imply otherwise? Did the GOOD EGG go rotten

Yes. 

Nyssa Nyssa becomes BAD EGG with Anyssa

A- Nys- -A = A Nys Anne = Mean Anne = Bad Anne = Bad Egg

The good egg rots inside because of the actions of her Brother-Husbands. She even becomes WORSE than they are in some ways, turning her son into a wight, creating the others, deciding that ALL MEN MUST DIE. 

The Maiden is not Virtuous (Chaste)

The Mother is not Merciful 

The Crone is not Wise, but seeks vengeance at any cost...

...and lets the FIRST RAVEN into the world through THE HEART OF WINTER, the "portal" (and "third eye") that opened (as a door in a lantern; remember, the sun and moon are in eclipse during this event, so it would indeed seem like something coming through a lantern door when those three dragons and thousand meteors fell to earth). 

This brings me to the Dornishman's Wife, which is a rendition of this event from the baby's point of view, describing the two aspects of the moon (Heart of Summer, Heart of Winter), her journey in the god cycle (Maiden, Mother, Crone), the death of her child ("Brothers, oh, brothers, my days here are done; the Dornishman's (sun's/AA's) taken my life! But what does it matter, for ALL MEN MUST DIE, and I've TASTED the Dornshman's Wife! --- But what is he "tasting" here? He's tasting her SOUR MOTHER'S MILK, the taste of vengeance upon which she nurses him, and the BLACK BLOOD, as in his congealed hands and feet, etc., and THE GIFT/THE POISON she gives to all mankind--DEATH). 

*The Red Comet is the Hero's Blade that pierced Nyssa Nyssa's heart, slew her baby, and was used by The FIRST WIGHT (that baby, controlled by vengeful Nyssa Nyssa) to kill the Usurper, Azor Ahai. (I believe Azor Ahai literally means Usurper in some capacity). The "Old Way" of the Drowned God is actually "the New Way of the Usurper/Azor Ahai" and the mythology has things twisted backward, just like the Kingsmoot was originally a Queensmoot (you see it all over the place in ASoIaF). 

It's interesting to wonder just how much of this the Faceless Men remember. I think they remember quite a lot more than most other cultures or cults do. They are the servants of DEATH (the Moon goddess, the drowned goddess) and repeat her curse (Valar Morghulis--all men must die; Valar Dohaeris--all men must serve DEATH and spread her POISON; that is, a wight will kill you, you will become a wight and a servant of death, you will kill others to make wights of them, etc.). 

It's not a pretty cult. Actually, it reminds me a bit of Daesh ("WE LOVE DEATH MORE THAN YOU LOVE LIFE!") in many ways. 

The Faceless Men change their faces, like their goddess, in service to her mission. They are NO ONE because they are enacting a sacred play. It doesn't matter who they are or once were because they are just "a man" or "a woman" or "a boy" or "a girl." They are mankind and ALL M(A)N(kind) MUST DIE. 

The Faceless Men use her curse for their mantra and mission statement (Valar Morghulis. Valar Dohaeris. Notice, it's not the other way around! I think that's important. First you must die to serve, they're saying!). 

[ETA: another interesting thing is the similarity between Valonqar and Valar, both seeming to have the same root Val-. In Valar, it appears to mean ALL MEN (or, maybe, ALL HANDS?) There also might be another root in the word -ar which is in Valon Qar, which might imply an inherent "badness" as qar/mar mean "bad" within all mankind. That would render the statement something more nuanced like, All bad men must die, or all men are bad (hands) and so must die. Just a bit of speculation upon something mildly curious to me. I'm no linguist, so....]

The Faceless Men use an IRON COIN to identify themselves. This brings us back to the Drowned Goddess. Did you pay the iron price or the gold price? The IRON PRICE is DEATH. You pay the IRON PRICE with an IRON COIN. 

[ETA, but what is "the gold price" in this context? We know in Westeros that GOLD COINS are golden dragons, and dragons are fire made flesh. Is it possible the question is actually meant to convey…: Did you kill with ice/water or fire? Rather than, Did you kill for it or did you buy it? Keep in mind too, that the seven hells are half frozen and half fiery -- maybe with one literally half frozen and half fiery? For balance.]

The Faceless Men devote themselves to giving THE GIFT, but the gift is no more than DEATH, regardless of rank, station, or deservedness. Again ALL MEN MUST DIE TO SERVE. 

The Faceless Men are expert in POISONS too, just as the Mother nurses her son upon HER poisonous sour milk, and breathes fire into his mouth (the last kiss is LIGHTNING) to raise him from the dead to do her bidding, "a puppet on a string" dancing to the tune of those who came before. 

The Faceless Men live in THE HOUSE OF BLACK AND WHITE with a double door (one white weirwood, one shade-of-the-evening ebony) with a MOON FACE on it. You can only enter that door by promising VALAR MORGHULIS to the moon face goddess. If you do not say the words, the door will not open for you because you do not belong in there if you are not willing to kill or die to serve her mission. 

The Kindly Man also changed his face to a skull with graveworms to scare Arya, but she, like a true Valkyrie, ate one of those graveworms (which represent the bowels of the dragon babe and the bowels of the Skinchanger's Throne). It was a Yellowed Skull. That brings to mind the Golden Company, which bring to mind Crackclaw Point and its Whispers, which bring again to mind the TREES (both weirwood and ebony are in service to the goddess, that's what the Faceless Men remember that others have forgotten; they're both party to bringing this hell--half frozen hell (Westeros--Jon Snow, armored all in black ice with a flaming sword--he's dreaming of being the dragon baby reanimated here, not dreaming of being Azor Ahai) , half fiery hell (Essos--Dany--the dragons and the song of fire and blood they bring), like the Seven proclaim in their Faith). The Whispering Woods are always "reaching for the moon," their kindred spirit, the goddess that they serve, "as if to pull (her) down from the sky." This is because they are earthly representatives of The Heart of Winter (weirwood) and The Heart of Summer (shade ebony), who are the moon goddess. 

That's why the trees seem so creepy and untrustworthy to many readers. They are part of the problem. It doesn't matter whether you worship the old gods or the new gods or the fire god or the ice god/cruel gods or the drowned god or the death god... you're worshipping the same thing, a god that has fallen and deviated from its true purpose. 

[ETA: It's entirely possible that the Children of the Forest and the First Men, having figured out some facet of the Curse of the Others, have snipped their strings and refused to dance to the moon's song of agony and ecstasy (mourning the death of her son, reanimating him for her vengeance) anymore, but want to "pull down" the moon from her perch so as to make an end to her eternal war on life and creation. I could go into more, about who the babies/brothers are who were slain by Azor Ahai and reanimated, but I'll leave off here. It's important to note, however, that the son is meant to follow the mother as Ygg Ygg, not Azor Ahai the Usurper, and that the earth god is both mother and son. The godhead was confused over many generations, which is how MOTHER EARTH somehow turned into a moon goddess married to the sun god, when, in fact, all three celestial bodies that APPEAR to orbit the earth are in fact "brothers" and the goddess's "heads" and "eyes" ...and "hands" too.] 

The Three-Headed Dragon, The Three-Eyed Crow, the Sphinx, the Harpy, the Great Stallion, is made like: 

Spoiler

Three-Headed Dragon:

The Earth, the green giant, the promised prince, the Corn King, is the Dragon (BODY)

The Sun and the Fire Moon (dwarf moon) at total solar eclipse compose one Eye of the God (the Earth, the Dragon)

The Sun and the Ice Moon (large moon) at total solar eclipse compose one Eye of the God (the Earth, the Dragon)

The Sun, and the Fire Moon, and the Ice Moon compose the Three Heads of the God (the Earth, the Dragon)

The Dragon has Three Heads is the celestial song that belongs to the god (green giant, Corn King, the Dragon), who is the prince that was promised, who sings of ice and fire and so turns the seasons of love. This is “the song of earth and stone” the Children of the Forest sing: the Dragon has Three Heads. (But only two eyes(!), another riddle meant to trip the reader up—boy, Martin is a tricksy bird, isn’t he?)

The THREE-EYED CROW, then, would be: 

1. The Earth, the BODY, 

2. The DRAGON HEADS=CROW EYES (Sun, Large Moon, Small Moon).

The (Valyrian) Sphinx has: 

1. A dragon body (The EARTH)

2. A human head (SUN)

3. Dragon wings (TWO MOONS)

Other Sphinx

1. A human head (SUN)

2. A lion's body (EARTH)

3. A hawk's wings (TWO Moons) 

The wings might well be CROW WINGS. 

Also, remember that Azor Ahai was said to attempt the second forging of his Hero's Blade by tempering the steel in the heart of a lion. Lions can also represent the sun (golden lion) or the moon (Lion of Night came forth with all (her) demons when the Maiden-Made-of-Light turned (his) back on the world; Dany's hrakkar skin) in ASoIaF. 

Harpy: 

1. Woman's Torso (and head?) (EARTH + SUN)

2. Wings of a Bat (Large Moon)

3. Curled and Poisonous Scorpion Tail (RED COMET)

4. Legs of Eagle (Small Moon)

Harpies tend to be made of bronze or clay, and may clutch either a chain (i.e., the "puppet on a string" dancing to its mother's vengeful son) or a whip and collar (i.e., same again). 

The Great Stallion:

1. Body (EARTH) 

2. Head (Sun + Moon in eclipse formation)

3. Fiery Mane (Red Comet)

Here are Rhaegar’s seven rubies: <> <> <> <> <> <> <> Make the three-headed dragon out of them.

1.       <Sun> The solar deity, the Destroyer, season of Summer, season of fire, god of consumption and death

2.       <Fire Moon> The lunar deity, dwarf moon, fiery moonmaid

3.       <Ice Moon> The lunar deity, large moon, icy moonmaid

a.       Both aspects of the lunar deity are collectively the Preserver, season of autumn/winter, goddess of ice and preservation and life; the “fiery” aspect of the lunar deity is integral to her role as Preserver and Winter Queen, as ice burns, remember. This is also how autumn is tied into the seasons of the triune godhead, a time when the goddess is in transition from her “fiery” aspect to her “icy” aspect, even as the world is dying, there is still warmth and life—preservation of life—lodged within the ice and cold and death. Thus, the lunar deity is representative and goddess of autumn and winter, not just winter.

4.       <Sun+Fire Moon, at total solar eclipse> the Fiery Eye of the God, the Blinded god’s eye, aspect of fertility, love, creation (the aspect of the god that evolves to become R’hllor)

5.       <Sun+Ice Moon, at total solar eclipse> the Icy Eye of the God, the remaining god’s eye, aspect of death, mourning, hate, destruction (the aspect of the god that evolves to become the Great Other)

6.       <Earth> The terrestrial deity, the green boy giant, the promised prince, the Creator, season of Spring, season of ice and fire, god of growth, birth, and rebirth

7.       <Red Comet> the Red Comet, the Lightbringer, the Red Sword of Heroes, the Sword of the Morning and the Sword of the Evening, the scratch against the face of the god, the hot poker that blinds the god’s (fiery) eye, the tears of blood that the god weeps (at the blinding; meteors falling to the earth are also tears of blood raining upon the world!), the solar deity’s “sword/spear” (the penis that pierces the lunar deity and fertilizes the lunar deity/“celestial egg” in the forging of Lightbringer-as-Dragon-Prince)—the Red Comet has a great many roles to play!

Seven rubies, seven aspects of the godhead, the Dragon.

Three-Headed Trios, then, is the name of the earth, the very first god, the fertility and nature deity, who has since been forgotten, divided up, and reinterpreted as the various gods of ice and fire present in the narrative in the modern day.

Yet because the song belongs to the promised prince, it leads us to conclude that that triune deity is really singular, the aspects of the one true god—the earth, the green giant, the dragon with three heads.

Archived