Sign in to follow this  
Varysblackfyre321

“All men must die” just a maxim,a mission statement, or both?

It seems there are hints the FM are working for the great other.

First, we see Jaqen, single out the Red god when searing his oath-as if doing so is somehow different than swearing to all the other gods.

A Clash of Kings - Arya IX

"A man's sire is long dead, but did he live, and did you know his name, he would die at your command."
"Swear it," Arya said. "Swear it by the gods."
"By all the gods of sea and air, and even him of fire, I swear it." He placed a hand in the mouth of the weirwood. "By the seven new gods and the old gods beyond count, I swear it."

Second, we have Arya presence being misconstrued by the witch of the high hearth as being Beric’s-Arya would later on go to join the FM and Beric has been blessed presumably by Rh’lor. I see you. I see you, wolf child. Blood child. I thought it was the lord who smelled of death ... You are cruel to come to my hill, cruel. I gorged on grief at Summerhall, I need none of yours. Begone from here, dark heart. Begone!

Next we hear Melisandre worry if Mance’s want to die gloriously hint follow mean he’s been corrupted by the great other; his followers dream of death.  

I also find it perplexing that after the doom of Valaryia, the slave-cities seemed to not have been bothered by the FM as they had bothered Masters in Valayria; it’s unlikely there were less people in slavery who’d be willing to make the appropriate sacrifices. And truth be told, Slaver’s bay  Hell even when an aristocrat in the free cities has slaves, they don’t seem to very much mind; Illaryio isn’t exactly being subtle that he does in fact have slaves. 

I believe a common thought as to being against the others would be that the wights the other’s use is a perversion; what dead must stay dead; but honestly, I find it unlikely that should be a real qualm for them given the corpses we see rise aren’t alive in that they have actual sentience. The corpses are simply manipulated to do a limited amount of things.

Edited by Varysblackfyre321

A Maxim.  For the living.   It means all of us are held accountable by the gods.  By death.  And the FM are the newest gods.  Governing the human realm of the living by sprinkling a little death here and there.  As a gardener weeds the garden, so they prune the diseased growths they find within society. 

I imagine they take particular offense when wizards try to make themselves immortal.  (All men must die, Or else the ones who make themselves exceptions to that rule begin to become new gods too, but of a less desireable sort who probably don't have full empathy for the human condition anymore, and would likely hurt society more than they helped it.  )

The FM haven't struck at Danny, have they?  They'd be watching closely to see if she can change the slaver continent in a way they couldn't accomplish through mere assassinations  (which don't eradicate the practice of slavery but just create job openings for new slavers.)  

I don't think the Faceless are "with" the Others in a doomsday cult that's s helping create an apocalypse.  They're trying to put more competent westerosi leaders in place and support their efforts!  That doesn't sound like they're scrapping humanity- - It's more like they're moving in with a salvage effort.  They might have some arcane weir- gotten lore warning them of what to expect next from the supernatural winter plotline, but I doubt they're in bed with the Great Other.  Nor do they want to "kill all humans" as Bender would say.  That wouldn't be good gardening.  

3 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

It seems there are hints the FM are working for the great other.

First, we see Jaqen, single out the Red god when searing his oath-as if doing so is somehow different than swearing to all the other gods.

A Clash of Kings - Arya IX

"A man's sire is long dead, but did he live, and did you know his name, he would die at your command."
"Swear it," Arya said. "Swear it by the gods."
"By all the gods of sea and air, and even him of fire, I swear it." He placed a hand in the mouth of the weirwood. "By the seven new gods and the old gods beyond count, I swear it."

Second, we have Arya presence being misconstrued by the witch of the high hearth as being Beric’s-Arya would later on go to join the FM and Beric has been blessed presumably by Rh’lor. I see you. I see you, wolf child. Blood child. I thought it was the lord who smelled of death ... You are cruel to come to my hill, cruel. I gorged on grief at Summerhall, I need none of yours. Begone from here, dark heart. Begone!

Next we hear Melisandre worry if Mance’s want to die gloriously hint follow mean he’s been corrupted by the great other; his followers dream of death.  

I also find it perplexing that after the doom of Valaryia, the slave-cities seemed to not have been bothered by the FM as they had bothered Masters in Valayria; it’s unlikely there were less people in slavery who’d be willing to make the appropriate sacrifices.

I believe a common thought as to being against the others would be that the wights the other’s use is a perversion; what dead must stay dead; but honestly, I find it unlikely that should be a real qualm for them given the corpses we see rise aren’t alive in that they have actual sentience. The corpses are simply manipulated to do a limited amount of things.

Neither.  It's just an observation.   People are born, live, and die.  Immortality is not an available choice.  Even the nutjobs who called themselves the Undying Ones have a finite lifespan.  They can prolong themselves beyond the normal lifespan but they will not last forever.  The wooden dicks beneath the weirwood trees live longer lives than most people but even they will die.  The cult of the faceless men perverted this observation and made themselves killers for hire.  It's a sham because they are nothing more than hired killers but it makes them feel better than a freelanced with no principles.  

Interesting. IIRC there are some popular youtubers that believe the FM and the tCotF are in league with each other. That All men must die originated from the TCotF when they were fighting the First Men.

A maxim. It more or less encapsulates their philosophy, that the most significant feature of human nature is mortality.