College Football 2018: Its Tua's world... we're just living in it

Rhom

I'm glad to see Justin Wilcox is not on your radar.  He probably hasn't done quite enough yet to attract attention for a top tier job.  But he inherited quite an empty cabinet and I think he'll be a big-time coach with big success someday.

1 hour ago, Bronn Stone said:

I'm glad to see Justin Wilcox is not on your radar.  He probably hasn't done quite enough yet to attract attention for a top tier job.  But he inherited quite an empty cabinet and I think he'll be a big-time coach with big success someday.

I think he will obviously be on USCs radar because they like to hire bloodline instead of ability, and he coached at SC, frankly, I forgot, there've been so many coordinators the last decade I can’t remember if he was one of the good ones or bad ones.

interfacing with rich assholes is the primary characteristic, recruiting ability second, and actual coaching ability is third. 

I will actually be incredibly surprised if they go with a college football resume. The donors are hungry for a return to Carroll successes and they’re probably going to try to emulate that by going for an NFL hire as they did when they hired Carroll.

Yikes, Buffalo got destroyed by Ohio (not state) last night. Its kind of amazing the disparity between how good they've generally looked in their 9 wins and how absolutely terrible they've been in their 2 losses (42-13 to Army a while back and now 52-17 last night).

14 hours ago, Triskele said:

I hear Jeff Fisher's available and would love the job.  

new phone, who dis?

I fogot Dino Babers, if he beats Notre Dame on Saturday the job at USC is probably his with no real other competition.

Solid verbal ran a USC special podcast that was basically an hour talking about all the ways that clay Helton has failed but why he might be safe.

bottom line, the fan base is 100% aligned against Helton, and the donors are weakly supportive of Helton because he’s so nice but most importantly the administration does not want whatsoever any coaching change at all no no no.

mentioned was that since Lynn Swann is a former athlete he has no experience firing or hiring anyone. With nikias out as president, the interim president does not want to have a coaching search on their record. The board of trustees doesnt want the school to go through a search either since they’re still dealing with fall out from the gynocologist scandal.

which all adds up to the conclusion that Helton can lose his next two games, miss a bowl, have a massive failure of a recruiting season and still keep his job.

The only thing that could make the administration replace Helton would be if donors reneg en masse on their pledges to purchase 20M luxury suites in the currently being renovated coliseum. That, and not any football, is what could cause Helton to lose his job.

6 minutes ago, KingintheNorth4 said:

It's crazy seeing The Citadel has scored more points against Alabama than LSU and Mississippi State combined this season.

It’s like Bama has no idea what to do with the triple option. My guess is the team completely checked out this week during preparation. Insane given the talent differential.

8 hours ago, Triskele said:

@lokisnow

I am surprised to hear that the donors are so behind Helton.  I would have thought that they'd be about as against him as the fanbase because he's perceived asd just not having the right pedigree for the prestigious USC job.  Either way, I bet they win today if Daniels can play.  UCLA is just too raw this year.  But Notre Dame will probably hammer them.  

tOSU is really messing around and could blow this game to Maryland which would be great to see.   

Helton is the nicest coach in the world and a lot of donors really like him on a personal level. If he survives it’s because the admin fights tooth and nail not to fire him during all the other admin upheaval currently going on. And if he survives he probably fires most of his staff and brings in killers that could threaten for his job, which would probably save his job for a few years.

as I said, the only thing that would really 100% sink Helton would be if the donors pledging for buy luxury boxes start reneging if he’s the coach.

butnright now we are talking about a coach who is probably missing a bowl, lost to all three California teams has a staff of lazy recruiters who have mostly abandoned national recruiting in favor of mostly so cal recruiting and is also probably going to lose to Notre Dame. Sure it could be a down year, but it is mostly a down year because the coaching at all levels is mediocre. That’s because Helton has staffed only with people who could never threaten to take his job. If he somehow does survive and restaffs with top of the line coaching talent he could preform a turnaround much like Notre Dame has.

Well it's officially that week here in Michigan. The one that we have come to dread after getting spanked by OSU for so long. Even though Michigan "looks" like the better team and OSU gave up a boat load of points and yards to Maryland, all I saw was another OSU QB accounting for 6 tds....!!! Mobile accurate QB's have killed Michigan for years and here comes another one wearing red/grey just in time to dash our hopes again.

Shea Patterson is not accurate enough, misses a lot of wide open receivers. Michigan corners are not very good, this is hidden because the pass rush has been so good all year. If Michigan loses these are the two things I would expect to be the cause.

If Michigan wins I would expect it to be because Higdon ran the ball well enough to open up some passing situations and the Michigan defense is able to get to the QB before he lights up our secondary.

Ugh, how I love to hate this week.

That was the lamest headgear selection by Corso I've ever seen on Gameday.  Moving the show inside the horseshoe completely took away the atmosphere.

As for football...in a forgettable season for my Hokies, we at least put a dagger in the heart of UVA for the 15th straight year.  It was almost the best possible way to do it.  Let them storm back in the 2nd half, let them have all the momentum...only to rip their hearts out in the last 2 minutes and in overtime.  And WVU lost...so not a bad Friday.

And now we get to play Marshall to make up the ECU game, and see if we get bowl eligible.  Not exactly the most exciting end to a season...but we'll see.  I can only hope all the playing time that freshman got this year leads to good things next year.

I LOVED Kentucky today but forgot to put anything on it. Spread was only 17 somehow. Louisville is absolutely atrocious.

What a fitting way for FSU to finish the year. They end their 40 year streak of not having a losing season, lose to all rivals and end up #1 in penalties per game this year. They are a fucking train wreck. 

I seriously feel bad for Francois. Dude takes a beaten every single game he plays. He has to regret his decision to go there.

9 hours ago, Triskele said:

I think that Paterson is really just average.  He has very little escapability or arm strength.  He needs a nice pocket where he can step into the throw.  He basically needs the temperature in the room to be just right.  The narrative of "Harbaugh has his quarterback finally" that I feel like I heard at the start of the year looks laughable.  

Patterson is a less talented, better behaved Johnny Manziel. So yeah, pretty pedestrian in the final analysis. He's also about the same height as Manziel despite being listed at 6'2. My co-worker who's 5'10 met Patterson in the Grove after a game a couple years ago and swore to me that he looked him straight in the eyes.

As for his future, I'm seeing a lot more Chase Daniels in him than Russell Wilson. 

Archived