College Football 2018: Its Tua's world... we're just living in it

Rhom

Man I was hoping Michigan would beat OSU last weekend so they would have a rematch with Northwestern in the B10 championship. We only lost by 3 to Michigan during the regular season and I thought we'd have a chance.. but after that beatdown by OSU, I'm just hoping to cover the spread. Right now it's only 14 points which surprises me.

Anyone watch any of the Notre Dame games? I only saw one of their games this season and I remember thinking that was one of the better ND teams I've watched on both offense and defense.. but that game was against Michigan as well so now I'm not sure how to judge them.

11 hours ago, WarGalley said:

Anyone watch any of the Notre Dame games? I only saw one of their games this season and I remember thinking that was one of the better ND teams I've watched on both offense and defense.. but that game was against Michigan as well so now I'm not sure how to judge them.

I watched their games against Michigan, Vanderbilt and most of USC. They're one of the top defensive teams in the nation, but they don't have the firepower imo to be a serious challenger to knock off either Alabama or Clemson. While their schedule looked tough on paper, a lot of the big name programs they faced (Michigan aside) were way down this year. They also struggled to beat bad/mediocre teams (Ball St, Vandy, Pitt) on their home field. 

In short I think they could possibly beat an Oklahoma or Ohio St and maybe keep it close for 3 quarters against Bama/Clemson.

2 hours ago, Corvinus said:

Well Alabama did the right thing and kept Georgia out of the playoffs.

Did they though?  :dunno: 

I’d take UGA over Oklahoma or Ohio State.  Who says committee won’t?

Edit:  Heck, I’d favor them over Notre Dame.

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

Did they though?  :dunno: 

I’d take UGA over Oklahoma or Ohio State.  Who says committee won’t?

Edit:  Heck, I’d favor them over Notre Dame.

Two losses, one against Alabama. No way can Georgia be ranked higher than 4th after this, so it'd be a another match-up against Alabama. It should be another team. (Edited to correct what I was saying, forgot their season loss was against LSU)

IMO if they put Georgia in, then the system is more of a sham than it already seems. No way you can justify putting a 2 loss non conference winner in ahead of Oklahoma and oSU, TWO power 5 champs with one loss each. Of course that didn't stop Herbstreit from lobbying for it during the Clemson game.

Saw someone make this point on FB and I have to admit that it has merit:

Another good talking point... If Notre Dame is not going to get penalized for not having to play a championship game, then don’t penalize Georgia for having to play Alabama in the SEC Championship. Every other team loses that game also.  Let’s debate...

Everyone can chill - OU gets in the 4th spot, which given play on the field they deserved. UGA blew their chance when they got housed by LSU just like Ohio St did against Purdue. Championship contenders shouldn’t be blowing those kinds of games, and certainly not to that extent.

1 hour ago, Ferrum Aeternum said:

Everyone can chill - OU gets in the 4th spot, which given play on the field they deserved. UGA blew their chance when they got housed by LSU just like Ohio St did against Purdue. Championship contenders shouldn’t be blowing those kinds of games, and certainly not to that extent.

I agree it’s the “right” four teams.  Would still like to see UGA v Clemson.

Also feel ND should be slated fourth as a “punishment” for not playing a championship game.  The ACC should never have kow towed to them and given them this “sort of” membership.  If they want benefits of conference membership, they should have been playing Clemson in a title game yesterday.

6 hours ago, Rhom said:

I agree it’s the “right” four teams.  Would still like to see UGA v Clemson.

Also feel ND should be slated fourth as a “punishment” for not playing a championship game.  The ACC should never have kow towed to them and given them this “sort of” membership.  If they want benefits of conference membership, they should have been playing Clemson in a title game yesterday.

The problem is that power 5 schools keep playing Notre Dame. If they would stop scheduling them it would force Notre Dame to join a conference, until then Notre Dame will have their cake and eat it too.

UCF, winners of 25 straight, including beating Auburn in the Peach Bowl, undefeated for 2 straight seasons, beating all comers, ranked 7th by the coaches going into this wknd...... Screw the excuses, till someone can beat them on the field they should be in this playoff on merit.

The weak schedule argument didnt hold water the minute they took down Auburn after last years undefeated season for UCF. 

When UCF defeats LSU in the Fiesta Bowl they will have legitimacy to claim repeat National Champs, Hang the Banners!!!!!!!

58 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

UCF, winners of 25 straight, including beating Auburn in the Peach Bowl, undefeated for 2 straight seasons, beating all comers, ranked 7th by the coaches going into this wknd...... Screw the excuses, till someone can beat them on the field they should be in this playoff on merit.

The weak schedule argument didnt hold water the minute they took down Auburn after last years undefeated season for UCF. 

When UCF defeats LSU in the Fiesta Bowl they will have legitimacy to claim repeat National Champs, Hang the Banners!!!!!!!

Winning a meaningless exhibition is no basis to claim a national title any more.  LSU will have guys sitting out the game to prep for the draft.

That said, I expect LSU to be more motivated than the disappointed Auburn team UCF beat last year.  Take the Tigers in this one.

OU / Bama is going to be fun.  I actually think of all the 3 non-Bama teams in the playoff that OU has the best chance of beating them so I’m glad we are guaranteed this match up.  I don’t think Clemson or ND, who are great teams in their own right, really do anything that Bama has not already seen and utterly crushed this year.  

OU is a completely different brand of football and Bama will not have seen an O anywhere near as capable as the Sooners.  I think Alabama will still win because OU has been shaky on D all year, but I think they’ve got the best chance in the field to unseat Saban.

4 hours ago, S John said:

OU / Bama is going to be fun.  I actually think of all the 3 non-Bama teams in the playoff that OU has the best chance of beating them so I’m glad we are guaranteed this match up.  I don’t think Clemson or ND, who are great teams in their own right, really do anything that Bama has not already seen and utterly crushed this year.  

OU is a completely different brand of football and Bama will not have seen an O anywhere near as capable as the Sooners.  I think Alabama will still win because OU has been shaky on D all year, but I think they’ve got the best chance in the field to unseat Saban.

We get to see what the vaunted SEC physical defense can do against the high flying point a minute offense from the B-12.  I just wish there wasn't such a long layoff between the games.

7 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Yeah, no. They are not one of the top 4 teams in the nation, especially after losing their best player. Could you imagine if they got in this year? They would be the 4 seed facing Alabama...would not end well for UCF. 

Archived