College Football 2018: Its Tua's world... we're just living in it

Rhom

4 hours ago, Rhom said:

Florida really wasn't all that good until Spurrier got there.  They didn't have a conference championship until 1990.  So they are sort of a "Johnny Come Lately" in football terms. 

And their arrival on the scene pretty much ended Tennessee.  There was a little overlap with several Citrus Bowls that resulted (one of the best sports taunts ever, IMO - Spurrier - "you can't spell Citrus without UT")

23 hours ago, Bronn Stone said:

I think this is the closest to my feeling.  Meyer is legitimately at risk of dying on the sidelines.   But I don't think he is done.  I think the bug will bite him again down the road.  Two years seems a little soon, IMO.  But I think he'll be somewhere in 2022-ish.

It will, but perhaps he'll be wise enough to take a less stressful job. He could be an AD or a GM in the NFL. 

I also think Meyer is done. Seeing some of the video of him dropping in pain, I don't know how his wife could in good conscience let him coach again without giving him the divorce ultimatum. Someone has to protect him, his wife and children from himself.   

It wouldn't surprise me one bit for Meyer to have played up and over exaggerated the health stuff on the sideline all year to try and gain some sympathy for his "retirement" announcement in the wake of the beating his already questionable reputation has taken this season. Hate to say it, but I wouldn't put anything past this guy.

4 hours ago, Corvinus said:

Didn't it happen last year, too? But it was not so often, and the media paid less attention.

I believe it's been happening for around 10 years, going back to Florida. He retired from Florida for a health issue, then had surgery to reduce it or alleviate it, then came back to coaching IIRC.

5 hours ago, dbunting said:

I believe it's been happening for around 10 years, going back to Florida. He retired from Florida for a health issue, then had surgery to reduce it or alleviate it, then came back to coaching IIRC.

The exclusive interview/column Pete Thamel published yesterday (mostly a puff piece, but still) portrayed that the media has actually downplayed Meyer's health problems over the years. 

From that same interview, Meyer shot down any NFL rumors. In his view, NFL coaches are too comfortable with losing.  :lol: 

2 hours ago, Ferrum Aeternum said:

From that same interview, Meyer shot down any NFL rumors. In his view, NFL coaches are too comfortable with losing.  :lol: 

Yeah, it's better to have more talent than the opposing team 90+% of the time.  That's the way sports ought to be. 

given the thread title, and this season, I haven't paid the slightest attention to the heisman race all year, but seeing some headlines today are the heisman voters really so colossally short sighted and dumb to give Tua's Heisman to a baseball player because of one bad half?

I guess that would mean the regular season doesn't matter, just like expanding the playoff means! :rolleyes:

37 minutes ago, lokisnow said:

given the thread title, and this season, I haven't paid the slightest attention to the heisman race all year, but seeing some headlines today are the heisman voters really so colossally short sighted and dumb to give Tua's Heisman to a baseball player because of one bad half?

I guess that would mean the regular season doesn't matter, just like expanding the playoff means! :rolleyes:

Well, he missed a lot of time, since he didn't play in any 4th quarters.  So, I guess it's how you want to judge your Heisman candidate - did he make the difference for his team.  I think a lot people would say Alabama would likely be 12-0 even without him.

Maybe.  But the fact that he was good enough to make Saban into a high flying offense tells me he is a unique talent.

I think this is an example of a guy who’s greatness was taken for granted and another guy who was flashy at the end. :dunno: 

Dropping in for an appearance.  Cats are playing for 10 wins!  Rhom, of note is that it's a week before Christmas and our football team has more wins than the basketball team! ;)

Now if Stoops can only get that elusive bowl win.  Not holding my breath as I feel it's a bad matchup for us... but still happy to be playing on New Year's Day. 

7 hours ago, Ded As Ned said:

Dropping in for an appearance.  Cats are playing for 10 wins!  Rhom, of note is that it's a week before Christmas and our football team has more wins than the basketball team! ;)

Now if Stoops can only get that elusive bowl win.  Not holding my breath as I feel it's a bad matchup for us... but still happy to be playing on New Year's Day. 

I'd love to see us win.  Really wish they had ran Benny for another 20 or so yards against UofL.  Getting the 107 he needs to be the all time rushing leader at the school is going to be tough against PSU.

• 2 weeks later...

Welp… Big ICANTCOUNT fans are getting a lesson from the SEC school with a losing conference record.  :stunned: 

Some offensive bowl game records may be getting smashed this afternoon in the Music City.

Using the UCF National Championship metric:  Tennessee beat Auburn, Auburn beats Purdue, Purdue beat Ohio State.  Therefore Tennessee is the Big 10 Champion!  Congrats Volunteers!

49 minutes ago, Triskele said:

Pac-12 is 0-2 so far in bowl games with ominous shades of last year's 1-8 debacle.  Some favorable matchups coming up though.  We shall see.  

The Cal loss was very frustrating.  Before Laird (RB) got hurt, the Bears offense looked merely subpar while the TCU offense looked hopeless.  After Laird (RB) got hurt for Cal, both were hopeless for a while but eventually TCU's RB was able to break out.

But even before Laird went down, things weren't good.  Cal's next good QB is probably not in the program at this time.

Archived