College Football 2018: Its Tua's world... we're just living in it

Rhom

And before the ink was dry on his contract at Temple, former DC Manny Diaz has gone back to Miami.

He has been in Philly for all of two weeks and was instrumental in signing 19 kids on the early signing day.  This is why I don’t get upset when kids change their minds on a verbal commitment.

18 minutes ago, Triskele said:

Herbie mentioned too the fact that Fitzgerald's name has come up for the Green Bay job.  Not necessarily that it's impacting play, but it is a storyline.  He's been there so long that I figure it's a situation where players really did assume he'd be there for their whole time as much as anyone could ever these days. 

Nice drive for them here that makes this game more competitive though certainly a nice start for Utah, and Northwestern had three really bad plays down at the goal line to only come away with 3.

I saw the Pat Fitzgerald to Green Bay rumor too and I thought it was absolutely ridiculous. He's never played or coached in the NFL. 

And Utah's defense is going to win this game for them.

31 minutes ago, Triskele said:

Nice drive for them here that makes this game more competitive though certainly a nice start for Utah, and Northwestern had three really bad plays down at the goal line to only come away with 3.

Also why the fuck did we run the ball so much on those drives? Utah's D-line was killing us and we needed to get the ball to a tight end or run a screen. We were -7 yards in running at the end of the 1st qtr.

25 minutes ago, Triskele said:

What is this Kentucky up 20-7 score that I see!?!

That one doesn’t surprise me at all. Kentucky has beaten a few teams better than Penn St this season. When Vegas made the line for that game it’s like they didn’t notice Penn St wasn’t very good this year. 

Big win for the Cats.  First time in my lifetime that they have won 10 games in a season.  At 27-7 I thought we had the game sealed away... then I had visions of Kentucky teams of years past trying to give the thing away as a QB with a broken foot ran all over us. :lol: 

Losing a lot of great pieces from this team, but we do have some depth for the first time that I recall; so next year could still be another good year for us.

Apparently Holgo is leaving for UH.  I’ve always liked Holgerson but after this season I have to say that I’m not entirely sorry to see him go.  Best offense he’s had at WVU and limped to a disappointing 8 win season.  Terrible bowl record, soft, undisciplined teams, horrible defense.  Typically I’ve defended Holgs against the small but vocal crew of WVU fans who have always hated him, but 8 years in and we aren’t in a bad place - but we aren’t improving either so it’s hard to be upset by it.  With what we lose on offense, the 2019 season figures to be a rough ride and Holgs could have found himself on the hot seat sooner rather than later.  I think he was the right coach at the right time for us, getting us reorganized for the Big 12 style of football and keeping us out of the conference basement.  The dude is definitely one of the characters of college football which I’ll also miss.

That said, word is that UH offered him more money and WVU AD declined to match and I do not blame him.  Holgs had a raise / extension pretty recently and this season was not raise worthy so I think he and WVU have reached a natural point of separation.  As long as the WVU admin doesn’t bungle the hire completely I’m looking forward to a fresh start.  

27 minutes ago, S John said:

Apparently Holgo is leaving for UH.  I’ve always liked Holgerson but after this season I have to say that I’m not entirely sorry to see him go.  Best offense he’s had at WVU and limped to a disappointing 8 win season.  Terrible bowl record, soft, undisciplined teams, horrible defense.  Typically I’ve defended Holgs against the small but vocal crew of WVU fans who have always hated him, but 8 years in and we aren’t in a bad place - but we aren’t improving either so it’s hard to be upset by it.  With what we lose on offense, the 2019 season figures to be a rough ride and Holgs could have found himself on the hot seat sooner rather than later.  I think he was the right coach at the right time for us, getting us reorganized for the Big 12 style of football and keeping us out of the conference basement.  The dude is definitely one of the characters of college football which I’ll also miss.

That said, word is that UH offered him more money and WVU AD declined to match and I do not blame him.  Holgs had a raise / extension pretty recently and this season was not raise worthy so I think he and WVU have reached a natural point of separation.  As long as the WVU admin doesn’t bungle the hire completely I’m looking forward to a fresh start.  

I had wondered why he left. I didn’t consider UH to be a step up, but it would be an easier recruiting ground and much easier conference to win. :dunno: 

1 hour ago, S John said:

Perfect opportunity for you guys to give Neal Brown (Troy) the step up he deserves. He's going to lead some Power 5 team to a conference title one day.

If you can't get there with Brown, Bill Clark at UAB also would be a nice choice. 

2 hours ago, Ferrum Aeternum said:

Perfect opportunity for you guys to give Neal Brown (Troy) the step up he deserves. He's going to lead some Power 5 team to a conference title one day.

If you can't get there with Brown, Bill Clark at UAB also would be a nice choice. 

PAY NO ATTENTION TO THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!!!!!

But yes... Neal Brown is my hoped for successor to Stoops.  In my ideal world, Stoops goes for 10 wins next year again... Taggart continues to suck wind at FSU... the Seminoles call to bring Stoops back, and we bring Neal Brown home.

4 hours ago, Rhom said:

I had wondered why he left. I didn’t consider UH to be a step up, but it would be an easier recruiting ground and much easier conference to win. :dunno: 

I think one day it might be an easier path to the playoff as well.  I think we'll see 8 teams eventually and if that happens there are a handful of G5 schools who can potentially take advantage of that situation big time.  Teams like Boise, UCF, Cincinnati, Houston might find that blasting most of your schedule and going 12-0 could get you an at-large playoff spot more easily than grinding it out in a P5 conference.  Holgs may not have been able to get a P5 team there but, if expansion happens, I think his high powered O could get a team like Houston there on the back of an easier schedule / being a big-ish fish in a small pond.  

4 hours ago, Ferrum Aeternum said:

Neal Brown and Luke Fickell seem to be the dudes most talked about in WVU land.  Most seem to want Brown, but being an Ohio guy Fickell might have better luck recruiting WVU's region right away.  I'm OK with either (or Clark), just somebody bring a god damn defense. 

14 hours ago, S John said:

Neal Brown and Luke Fickell seem to be the dudes most talked about in WVU land.  Most seem to want Brown, but being an Ohio guy Fickell might have better luck recruiting WVU's region right away.  I'm OK with either (or Clark), just somebody bring a god damn defense. 

Clark is a defense guy. Personally I find what he's done at UAB to be astounding, considering the near impossible circumstances. He will get a chance somewhere else before long.

7 hours ago, Ferrum Aeternum said:

Clark is a defense guy. Personally I find what he's done at UAB to be astounding, considering the near impossible circumstances. He will get a chance somewhere else before long.

Big 12 has probably colored my perception, but I feel that capable O coordinators are a dime a dozen.  As personal preference based on the last 8 years, I think I'd rather have a defense guy as HC and bring in a promising G5 O coordinator or positions coach who practices a Big 12 compatible offensive philosophy.  Can't go all in on D in this conference, as you do have to be able to score points no matter how good the D is, but I would prefer someone at HC who is more in the mold of Gary Patterson or Bill Snyder vs. a Kingsbury / Gundy / Riley type.  

I'd rather have a solid O that can play ball control sometimes vs an outstanding O that goes 3 and out a lot or tends to score very quickly.  Part of the problem with WVU's Defense the last couple of years is that with Spavital as the O coordinator WVU often either goes 3 and out or they score quickly.  Either way, they aren't usually out there on the field for long stretches of time.  There's little regard for the two sides of the ball working in harmony. 

Ironically, before Spavital was hired as O coordinator when Grier came in, Holgerson was calling the plays with Skyler Howard under center and you could tell that he was figuring that out.  That offense was a lot less flashy and a lot more like something Snyder would run at K State with a more methodical approach, more run heavy than a typical air raid, more designed QB runs, more QB going under center, able to slow down rather than HUNH all the time, etc. 

IMO it is no fluke that we won 10 games playing that way with an undersized and often inaccurate (but really tough) QB, yet only managed to win 8 with a sure NFLer like Grier.  There has to be a dedication to the run and to controlling the clock to help out your defense.  I think Dana knows this and kind of sold out to the air raid all over again in order to land Grier, and I hope whoever we get as HC and OC doesn't have to figure it out all over again.  

Archived