College Football 2018: Its Tua's world... we're just living in it

Rhom

21 minutes ago, Rhom said:

@S John sounds like you have your guy.  Color me a bit jealous.  Brown has been my hoped for Stoops replacement for years now.

Yea, I'm pretty stoked on the hire actually.  It feels like we were really lucky that this guy was available.  What I've heard is that other schools did interview him (notably K State) but wanted him to retain certain staff while WVU is letting him clean house and bring his own people if he wants.  Excited to see where we are in a couple of years under Brown. 

Also I'm happy with how the process played out.  Compared to some of the hiring debacles and head coach drama that WVU experienced during the last two hires - the Rodriguez meltdown and knee-jerk Stewart hire, followed by Holgerson's disastrous head-coach-in-waiting situation that got Stew fired early - this has been a really smooth process.  And I like the pick.  Gives me confidence in our AD who really hasn't been called upon to handle any major / public decisions until this one.  I think he did a nice job all around.  Seems everything was handled very professionally by everyone.  Props to Holgerson for that too.  

1 hour ago, WarGalley said:

Interesting..

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/25674974/tickets-cfp-title-game-less-expensive-before

Tickets to the NC game are as low as $130. For that kind of price, I'm debating about going to the game by myself since I live nearby..

It’d be worth it.

Finebaum has been making a big deal about it for a few days now.  I understand his viewership, but it’s still disheartening to see the ignorance of how the world works.  People keep calling in or texting and asking why the game isn’t being played in the south... because the location was set YEARS ago!!!! If this was a decade ago and it featured USC and Texas, it would be a perfect location.  But it features two teams from the old south, and it is damn inconvenient.

It also exposes the hard part about playoff expansion.  Tough to ask a fan base to attend a conference championship, a first round (even if hosted at a school), then a semifinal bowl, followed by a championship.

On 1/4/2019 at 4:47 PM, WarGalley said:

Interesting..

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/25674974/tickets-cfp-title-game-less-expensive-before

Tickets to the NC game are as low as $130. For that kind of price, I'm debating about going to the game by myself since I live nearby..

I agree with Rhom, you should do it.  Flying solo is nothing a few $11 tall boys can’t smooth over.  

Very proud of Patrick Willis, who along with Vince Young, Rocket Ismail and several others will be inducted into this coming year's College Football Hall of Fame class. Kudos to David Cutcliffe and Mike McIntyre for taking a chance on a raw but incredibly gifted athlete from one of the smallest high schools in Tennessee, who overcame incredible adversity to become one of the best college LBs I've ever seen (and a damn good pro as well). 

Just now, Ferrum Aeternum said:

Very proud of Patrick Willis, who along with Vince Young, Rocket Ismail and several others will be inducted into this coming year's College Football Hall of Fame class. Kudos to David Cutcliffe and Mike McIntyre for taking a chance on a raw but incredibly gifted athlete from one of the smallest high schools in Tennessee, who overcame incredible adversity to become one of the best college LBs I've ever seen (and a damn good pro as well). 

Patrick Willis is a favorite of mine.  Bought my nephew a Willis Niners jersey when he was about 2.  He looked good in it!

I think I have to skip this game in person. I have a ticket offer for $100 (which is still crazy to me) but Levi's stadium has to be the worst located stadium for it's home city. From downtown San Francisco, public transportation gets me there in 2 hours with a minimum of 2 transfers. I feel like I almost needed to take a half day to make a 5pm PST game.

On 1/4/2019 at 7:27 PM, Rhom said:

It also exposes the hard part about playoff expansion.  Tough to ask a fan base to attend a conference championship, a first round (even if hosted at a school), then a semifinal bowl, followed by a championship.

In the lower divisions, do they play at home fields, like the NFL? 

9 hours ago, HokieStone said:

In the lower divisions, do they play at home fields, like the NFL? 

Yes.  For some of the teams, it’s a loss of money to host.  I remember Murray State paying and losing money to host the first round (I-AA take 16 teams).  Maybe in 1997? That first game was during Thanksgiving break and students weren’t even on campus.

But I heard the athletic director talk about it and he said it would be cheaper to take that loss than risk having to fly everyone out to Boise State and lose more money.

Archived