Rhom

College Football 2018: Its Tua's world... we're just living in it

I think I have to skip this game in person. I have a ticket offer for $100 (which is still crazy to me) but Levi's stadium has to be the worst located stadium for it's home city. From downtown San Francisco, public transportation gets me there in 2 hours with a minimum of 2 transfers. I feel like I almost needed to take a half day to make a 5pm PST game.

Goddamnit, I'm going to regret not going to this game. I should have just taken the day off.

On 1/4/2019 at 7:27 PM, Rhom said:

It also exposes the hard part about playoff expansion.  Tough to ask a fan base to attend a conference championship, a first round (even if hosted at a school), then a semifinal bowl, followed by a championship.

In the lower divisions, do they play at home fields, like the NFL? 

I didn't expect 'Bama's defense to get so dominated. The Tide is getting rolled over.

9 hours ago, HokieStone said:

In the lower divisions, do they play at home fields, like the NFL? 

Yes.  For some of the teams, it’s a loss of money to host.  I remember Murray State paying and losing money to host the first round (I-AA take 16 teams).  Maybe in 1997? That first game was during Thanksgiving break and students weren’t even on campus.

But I heard the athletic director talk about it and he said it would be cheaper to take that loss than risk having to fly everyone out to Boise State and lose more money.

Has there ever in the history of college football been an assistant coach more valuable to his program than Brent Venables? 

Amazing stat: The last time Nick Saban lost by more than two TDs was in 2006 against star QB J.P. Losman of the Buffalo Bills.

I guess the reason why Saban didn't end up trashing headsets on the sidelines was that he recognized that most of the bad came from him, and how out-coached he was. 

8 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

I guess the reason why Saban didn't end up trashing headsets on the sidelines was that he recognized that most of the bad came from him, and how out-coached he was. 

Yep. Bama has lost games under Saban but they've never been outcoached to that degree. The talent gap (if there is one) isn't wide enough to account for an ass beating like that. 

I wouldn’t say Saban got terribly outcoached. Alabama just got all the bad bounces while Clemson played a perfect game. Also, it doesn’t hurt that Rivals considered Lawrence to be the best QB prospect they ever seen. They said his ceiling is a more mobile Manning with a much stronger arm.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Amazing stat: The last time Nick Saban lost by more than two TDs was in 2006 against star QB J.P. Losman of the Buffalo Bills.

Even better stat:  The last time Alabama football lost a game by 20+ points was a 27-3 loss in 2003 vs LSU.  The coach of that LSU team?  Nick Saban. 

31 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Even better stat:  The last time Alabama football lost a game by 20+ points was a 27-3 loss in 2003 vs LSU.  The coach of that LSU team?  Nick Saban. 

Ha. That’s awesome. Another stat I saw is since we moved to the playoff system, if you remove the times Alabama and Clemson played each other, their combined record is 106-4. Stunning.  

I totally saw that coming, but was afraid to monetize that knowledge.  I'm never sure whether I see something or am seeing what I REALLY want to see.

3 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I wouldn’t say Saban got terribly outcoached. Alabama just got all the bad bounces while Clemson played a perfect game. Also, it doesn’t hurt that Rivals considered Lawrence to be the best QB prospect they ever seen. They said his ceiling is a more mobile Manning with a much stronger arm.

Hah no

https://twitter.com/richardhtx/status/1082481516570202112

5 hours ago, Matrim Fox Cauthon said:

Even if it was a route, it sounds like this may be a game worth finding to watch somewhere online. #EuropeanExpat

I think so, if for no other reason than it is a novelty to see Alabama get blown out.