Star Trek Discovery #3 [Spoilers] - It's A Wonderful Spock!

SpaceChampion

• 1 month later...

I just saw Discovery on DVD for the first time and I luv it!  I've been watching Trek since it first aired in the sixties and I'm so glad to see something so fresh and well written.  The Harry Mudd episode was hilarious.  I'm a fan of Glen Hetrick's creature design as well.  But what's up with the season 2 Promo? Specifically the bit where  Stamets is extracting something from inside of Tilly.  Any ideas?  

On 11/10/2018 at 3:02 AM, SpaceChampion said:

Michelle Yeoh in talks to reprise her Discovery role in a spin-off series.

Spoiler Warning: Don't read that article if you don't want to know spoilers from season 2 premiere of Discovery.

Don't watch the latest trailer either!

3 hours ago, Relic said:

Here's hoping that not all of these Star Trek properties are super sleek and action oriented.

You'd hope not for the Picard show. Given how his last film turned out and Stewart's quite vocal complaints about doing an  all-action trek (although his complaints were also directed at fans who he felt had demanded more action then complained when they got it )

I think the problem now is that shows can do sluck looking action for relatively cheap. However it was the cost limitations that made the storytelling in trek shows so strong as they had to come up with more thoughtful stories with variety and the action was usually a treat or when it was absolutely necessary for a story. Now they tend to throw in spectacle at the vost of substance. Look at the recent films as an example.

I'm sure discovery is just dumping it's most action/quippy trailer it can and that it won't be as gung ho in reality. The first season wasn't all action.

41 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/star-trek-discovery-season-2-trailer-1168890

Hmm ... I’m not getting the most amounts of ‘Spock’ vibes from this guy. 

Which is a bit of a shame as he looked quite spockish from his imdb stock images. No doubt we will get some retcon BS about how he went through some human/vulcan hybrid late puberty where he was more human and grows out if it before we hit regular cintinuity.

So from the trailer it looks like

Pike will be captain? So enterprise is left sitting during this time? It feels a little bit forced although they might spun it as best captain matched with best ship for the job? I think I'd have preferred a new character as Captain tbh. Mainly because i can already envision a season where it turns out a young captain kirk made his name and git the enterprise after carrying out a successful mission(s) onboard the Discovery. Which is too cute for my liking and is basically setting up the Enterprise as the retirement vessel.

On 12/14/2018 at 3:02 PM, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

I don't like the idea of a Section 31 show with her character. It kind of loses something knowing she is from the Mirror Universe.

Is that one of the proposed 20 odd spin-off shows? I think in terms of spinning off from discovery they first need to ask themselves whether the character/idea is that popular in the first place. I guess if the new season features a lot of subplots featuring section 31 and their new leader i may become convinced. Although this kind of backdoor pilot scheme is really much better suited to traditional 22 episode shows where they have the room to rather shamelessly throw in pilots for other shows eg the arrow shows and supernatural. 

• 1 month later...

I liked Pike, as well. Fairly good episode, though with a number of predictable points. I thought it was funny that the episode's "redshirt" was wearing blue. Not sure about the Spock plot yet, and based on the season preview shown after the episode, it looks like the overall arch will be big monster coming to eat the universe, which is not that interesting.

Ahead of the premiere I watched a few of season 1's episodes, and the shorts that were released in the meantime. All the shorts were great, with The Escape Artist being the best, absolutely brilliant.

They dialed up the shiny/silly action pieces substantially and for the most part they were pretty enough to almost dispel the notion of how ridiculous it was. Those pod things were silly.

Curious about trek vorlons as the red angel could just as easily be a devil. 

Pike was ok - not excellent but his country boy earnestness was in fitting with the more gung ho attitude of the episode/show.

Best character was the engineer who had become a dr while stuck on the asteroid - i hope she is a new series regular. Otherwise they really need to flesh out the bridge crew this season. It's kind of awkward watching a bunch of actors who do nothing but smile inanely while receiving orders and nebula-from-guardians and cyber-eye still shouldn't be the only defining feature of those characters.

I miss the klingon guy. Hope they can bring him back.

I'm not sure how big the discovery is any more. The hangar bay seems to be a substantial portion of the ship yet said hsngar didn't look that big when the characters were in it. Based on that I'm not sure where the piping for the launch of the kewl whirlgig ships fit. Just a minor quibble though that irritated my spacial awareness (or lack of).

I enjoyed this, but it's way too all-over-the-place and frenetic. The pacing just doesn't work, and the "A story" with that distress signal and Pike and whatever seemed underwritten. The "B story" about Burnham's backstory was fine, I guess, but kinda dragged the episode and didn't really offer much new. I get the feeling the writers think we should be super invested in this simply because it involves Spock but... it's all pretty routine. Foster brother doesn't take to foster sister. Worse, we really don't get enough time for the other characters. 

Also the wall-to-wall music is unnecessary and distracting.

Both those A and B threads seem to be part of the season-arc, so it makes some sense they don't feel complete yet. To a large extent this was a scene-setting and character (re-)introducing episode, with some flashy scenes.

Can't argue that it's not pretty. It looks fantastic, but I don't watch trek for the action sequences, but that's a personal preference. The pods were convenient and too much like the thing they did in the reboot movie - you know what I'm talking about. I liked that the red shirt was a blue shirt because it's a fun nod. I'm ok with cheese like that.

Jet Reno, the engineer / doctor, looks to be a good character, I kind of love her. That name, however, I could have done without. She, and the Pike character signify a real tonal shift from the first season. I'm more of a casual trek fan so don't really have a set idea of what Pike should be like, other than Spock felt some strong loyalty to him, so this version I like so far. He seems almost too likable and down to earth in this premier, but had enough steel in him that I'm good. I don't mind that the overall arc appears to be a big monster wanting to eat the universe because it's all in how it's executed.

Baby Spock was ridiculously styled. He really stuck out to me as over the top for some reason.

On 12/14/2018 at 10:16 AM, DaveSumm said:

Wandering around casually mentioning Section 31 in turbolifts doesn’t really gel with what we saw of them in DS9 either...

This annoyed me to no end.... "Hey , BTW, i joined that super-secret kill squad that everyone denies the existence of, but wink wink we all know about.".... just yuck.... At this point, you either have to bail on the CBS all-access Treks, or accept that they're resetting everything... and none of that even compares to retro-fitting in Spocks human adopted sister... there's no reverence for the cannon, or respect for the fans.... so I'll watch, but Trek will never be the same again...

1 hour ago, Martini Sigil said:

This annoyed me to no end.... "Hey , BTW, i joined that super-secret kill squad that everyone denies the existence of, but wink wink we all know about.".... just yuck.... At this point, you either have to bail on the CBS all-access Treks, or accept that they're resetting everything... and none of that even compares to retro-fitting in Spocks human adopted sister... there's no reverence for the cannon, or respect for the fans.... so I'll watch, but Trek will never be the same again...

such is the way with virtually every prequel. What irks me is that the entire show with some character/name changes could have occurred in the post voyager timeline. Mutant Klingons, spore hyperspace, mirror universe etc, etc could all have been done in a post voyager setting. But no, they have to find some narrow space in the timeline to focus on and wreck. The argument of "people were too nice by next gen time, so we can't have conflict between crew members or shady decisions" simply doesn't hold water because DS9 had all of that.

It will get even muddier when the Picard show comes along as I bet they will find ways to tie stuff in from Discovery into the Picard show to make it fit.

On 1/18/2019 at 2:16 PM, Corvinus said:

I liked Pike, as well. Fairly good episode, though with a number of predictable points. I thought it was funny that the episode's "redshirt" was wearing blue. Not sure about the Spock plot yet, and based on the season preview shown after the episode, it looks like the overall arch will be big monster coming to eat the universe, which is not that interesting.

Ahead of the premiere I watched a few of season 1's episodes, and the shorts that were released in the meantime. All the shorts were great, with The Escape Artist being the best, absolutely brilliant.

Calypso was also excellent, really Inner Light/The Visitor level of stuff. Michael Chabon writing Star Trek is extremely exciting (and he'll apparently be lead writer on the Picard series).

Archived