Star Trek Discovery #3 [Spoilers] - It's A Wonderful Spock!

SpaceChampion

9 hours ago, RumHam said:

Are we sure the Section 31 series is still happening? I'm almost sure it was announced before PIcard and yet one show is almost done filming and we've heard nothing about the other....

It seems to be mentioned in most articles as currently in development. I can see why Picard has overtaken the show in terms of priority as Patrick Stewart and a genuine continuation of the Trek timeline is a much bigger draw. Maybe they are waiting to see when they should set the section 31 Georgiou series. If Picard is a bigger hit than Discovery she may well only go back to his timeline and cash in with the popularity of that setting.

10 hours ago, felice said:

I don't know, but the impression I have is that a lot of time travel episodes involve the importance of returning temporally displaced things to their proper place in the timestream, so Discovery staying in the future feels wrong. The reasoning for their future exile seemed pretty dubious to me.

That's been true of trek in the past (I've no idea how enterprise resolved its time war arc) but it felt like hiding in the future was the endgame of season 2. It also explains why the Discovery's existence remained secret so effectively. Although i do agree with you that the argument for going into the future was flimsy

• 2 weeks later...

Not wanting to make a new thread and I hope that somewhere CBS execs are getting seizures for me posting this in a Star Trek thread, but Axanar has started filming last week and has been spamming one video after another. I'm glad these guys are back:

Though there is one thing I am confused about. I had heard before that Alec Peters wanted to give the role of Garth to someone else to focus on behind the scenes stuff... then again, I'm not complaining at all. I found that an odd announcement and didn't like the idea of having someone else than the guy from Prelude in the Captain's chair.

I'm curious about the rest. Due to Paramount/CBS's restrictions they had to rewrite the story as a mockumentary like Prelude instead of the initially planned series, so I guess these bridge scenes are just the flavor stuff.

Still pissed that this goddamn lawsuit dragged the production so much that Richard Hatch couldn't take part in it anymore...

Still:

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

In lieu of another thread, a moment of respect I think for Rene Auberjonois, who played Odo on Deep Space Nine (as well as appearing in minor roles in Enterprise and Star Trek VI), who passed away today at 79. A fantastic performer and director, who hated his makeup but refused to change it when he was offered a chance because he felt it would damage the character. A consummate professional whose seven-year feud with Quark was epic. One who will definitely be missed.

14 hours ago, Werthead said:

In lieu of another thread, a moment of respect I think for Rene Auberjonois, who played Odo on Deep Space Nine (as well as appearing in minor roles in Enterprise and Star Trek VI), who passed away today at 79. A fantastic performer and director, who hated his makeup but refused to change it when he was offered a chance because he felt it would damage the character. A consummate professional whose seven-year feud with Quark was epic. One who will definitely be missed.

That is a shame although i didn't realize he was that old. He popped up all over SF as an actor and director so he must have loved the genre.

• 2 months later...

I wonder if Avery Brooks would consider coming back for an episode of Discovery. Sisko is pretty much the only legacy character who could show up that far in the future. 

7 minutes ago, RumHam said:

I wonder if Avery Brooks would consider coming back for an episode of Discovery. Sisko is pretty much the only legacy character who could show up that far in the future. 

No thanks. I don’t feel like there’s a particular good answer to the question “how long was Sisko in the wormhole?”, so I’d rather it was just left alone. Plus, I don’t think Brooks would do it.

8 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

No thanks. I don’t feel like there’s a particular good answer to the question “how long was Sisko in the wormhole?”, so I’d rather it was just left alone. Plus, I don’t think Brooks would do it.

Wouldn't he just be in the wormhole forever because time has no meaning to wormhole aliens? But if something threatened the Bajorans he could pop out to intervene. 

I always loved the character and would love to see him pop up again and be weird and prophety.

I don't think he'd do it either but I woulda said the same thing about Stewart as Picard, Harrison Ford as Han Solo, Pesci as a mobster, Rick Morrais as anything (he's coming back for another Honey I shrunk the kids movie, apparently) 

Never understood how it makes sense that Sisko is gone for any time, since he should be able to leave the wormhole at any time he desires. And since he would likely not to miss any part of Jake's and Kasidy's lives it is rather obvious at which point he would reenter the game. Exactly at the point where he left it.

You cannot stay for a long time in a place where there is no time.

That doesn't mean Sisko couldn't pop up at any other given time in history, of course, but his absence at the end of DS9 should have been a non-issue. They really wrote themselves into a corner ... as they did when they really made the Prophets into 'good and evil gods' giving a damn about mortal affairs.

54 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Given that the Discovery crew are 1000 (or more?) years in the future I think it's pretty open for any legacy character to turn up who hasn't already died (holograms don't count). Picard could be flung into the future, the crew of the discovery could turn up in the Picard timeline on their way home.

22 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

Never understood how it makes sense that Sisko is gone for any time, since he should be able to leave the wormhole at any time he desires. And since he would likely not to miss any part of Jake's and Kasidy's lives it is rather obvious at which point he would reenter the game. Exactly at the point where he left it.

You cannot stay for a long time in a place where there is no time.

That doesn't mean Sisko couldn't pop up at any other given time in history, of course, but his absence at the end of DS9 should have been a non-issue. They really wrote themselves into a corner ... as they did when they really made the Prophets into 'good and evil gods' giving a damn about mortal affairs.

That and why would he choose to return as a 20 years older version of himself?

1 hour ago, SpaceChampion said:

Claim that season 5 has been ordered and will be filmed back to back with Season 4.

The show must definitely be driving subscriptions for them to be that keen. I bet they don't even know what they are doing for season 4 and 5 yet. It would be nice for them to consider a 2-season arc though.

Seems like CBS all access may as well be called the star trek channel.

21 minutes ago, red snow said:

Given that the Discovery crew are 1000 (or more?) years in the future I think it's pretty open for any legacy character to turn up who hasn't already died (holograms don't count). Picard could be flung into the future, the crew of the discovery could turn up in the Picard timeline on their way home.

I really doubt Picard is going to the future, I think Picards fate is to die heroically in season two. But maybe it'll turn out all of Discovery was just Will Riker working through some shit on the holodeck. 

22 minutes ago, red snow said:

That and why would he choose to return as a 20 years older version of himself?

True, but you may as well ask why Data gained weight and his makeup is so much thicker. It seems they don't think CGI de-aging is worth it, and I'm fine suspending disbelief. 

1 hour ago, RumHam said:

I really doubt Picard is going to the future, I think Picards fate is to die heroically in season two. But maybe it'll turn out all of Discovery was just Will Riker working through some shit on the holodeck. 

True, but you may as well ask why Data gained weight and his makeup is so much thicker. It seems they don't think CGI de-aging is worth it, and I'm fine suspending disbelief. 

Exactly, these shows can do what they want and for the most part i don't mind.

Sisko would be interesting to see again and it sounds like Avery brooks is bonkers enough to do prophet with ease. I guess they'd have to "cut him off" though as god like characters are tricky to get right. Hey, why not have Q and sisko together for an episode if we are going for wishlists

11 hours ago, Maltaran said:

Only if Sisko gets to punch him again

Q is always deserving of a punch. Has he appeared in all post TNG shows? I didn't watch all of enterprise so he might have appeared there.

It would be a nice touch to do so given he can be anywhere and that it lends a sort of legitimacy to the show that he'd be interested in them. He almost has to appear in the Picard show - maybe season 2 since guinan is going to be there

5 hours ago, red snow said:

Q is always deserving of a punch. Has he appeared in all post TNG shows? I didn't watch all of enterprise so he might have appeared there.

It would be a nice touch to do so given he can be anywhere and that it lends a sort of legitimacy to the show that he'd be interested in them. He almost has to appear in the Picard show - maybe season 2 since guinan is going to be there

No, he never showed up in Enterprise.

It was a bit of a stretch in the last Voyager episode he did (which oddly I reached on the rewatch this morning) that he was looking clearly a lot older than his first appearance in TNG (unsurprising, it was 14 years earlier) and they'd reached the limit with makeup in pretending he didn't look the same. Bringing him back would entail explaining why he had aged, unless they were willing to use some very expensive anti-ageing CGI.

Voyager did indicate that Q's attention span is quite limited though and that after a few years of toying with Picard he may have simply disregarded him as a point of contact the second the next shiny thing (Janeway, and her involvement in the internal affairs of the Q Continuum which was on a much more significant level than Picard's despite appearing in fewer episodes with him) came along, and by this point he's all but forgotten about humanity.

13 minutes ago, Werthead said:

No, he never showed up in Enterprise.

It was a bit of a stretch in the last Voyager episode he did (which oddly I reached on the rewatch this morning) that he was looking clearly a lot older than his first appearance in TNG (unsurprising, it was 14 years earlier) and they'd reached the limit with makeup in pretending he didn't look the same. Bringing him back would entail explaining why he had aged, unless they were willing to use some very expensive anti-ageing CGI.

Voyager did indicate that Q's attention span is quite limited though and that after a few years of toying with Picard he may have simply disregarded him as a point of contact the second the next shiny thing (Janeway, and her involvement in the internal affairs of the Q Continuum which was on a much more significant level than Picard's despite appearing in fewer episodes with him) came along, and by this point he's all but forgotten about humanity.

I guess given his shapeshifting and fancy dress he could always meet Picard with a tongue-in-cheek "maybe you'd feel more comfortable if i looked a similar age to you". But it might be trickier to explain in Discovery. That show seems more interested in fungi as gods than godlike beings too. Q also seems to pop up where Borg are concerned too which discovery has thankfully avoided so far.

Archived