Jump to content
SpaceChampion

Star Trek Discovery #3 [Spoilers] - It's A Wonderful Spock!

Recommended Posts

On ‎7‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 5:45 PM, williamjm said:

That does look good. Hopefully, Netflix UK will manage to make them a bit more accessible this time rather than hiding them away.

I recently re-watched the first set of Short Treks and Calypso, after having watched after season 2 of Discovery I wonder if Zora is intended to be some evolution of the sphere data that has infected the Discovery's computers (although she is a much more benevolent A.I. than Control).

I think Zora is just that, and I think Calypso is 2000 years after the end of season 2 so she has plenty of time to evolve.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think I'll be signing up to watch the next season of Discovery unless it coincides with the Picard show. Season 2 was just too much of a clusterfuck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Calypso is somewhere around 100 years after Discovery season three. Hence the abandoned Discovery having a sentient AI who is waiting for it's crew to return. 

Yep, I wrote the opposite of what i meant.

Bryan Singer's original story for a show called Star Trek: Federation sounds like elements of it could be the plot of this season.

Edited by SpaceChampion

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The DS9 documentary What We Left Behind is now on Amazon Prime Video UK, although you have to buy it (it's not part of the streaming package). Good enough for now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hot take: The Bajoran Wormhole Aliens were Q eggs the whole time. So it goes Human->???->prophet->Q.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The re-merger between CBS and Paramount-Viacom is done, so Star Trek is reunited under one corporate master for the first time since 2005.

It will have little effect on plans for the franchise, but it does mean that any lingering grey areas over what ship designs, music, flashbacks etc they can use from which shows and movies should be eliminated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It looks mildly interesting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Corvinus said:

It looks mildly interesting.

Hooray! Another cbs trailer i can't watch because for some reason they like to stagger adverts. I had to watch a "trailer analysis" video to see the picard one but I'm not wading through 10 minutes of analysis for this one.

On a cheerier note, I'm really enjoying watching select episodes of next gen. The ones focusing on what is "life" eg moriarty holodeck and data's trial were both really enjoyable. It's also nice to see that you can generate drama without having characters fight amongst themselves and be evil.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, red snow said:

Hooray! Another cbs trailer i can't watch because for some reason they like to stagger adverts. I had to watch a "trailer analysis" video to see the picard one but I'm not wading through 10 minutes of analysis for this one.

https://www.startrek.com/videos/star-trek-discovery-season-three-trailer-nycc

I don't think that one is region locked.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, RumHam said:

Thanks, you're a star :)

i get wert's "andromeda" comparison now. Still, I'm glad they are out of the narrow window of the prequel era they were trapped in and it's far enough in the future not to screw with any post voyager/Picard continuity (Picard might be busy doing that by itself)

it'll be fun if saru's race are big bads now and that removing their gill frills did lead to them becoming maniacs.

Also trying to get my head around where the short calypso episode fits now. Is it in the era season 3 takes place in or is it even further ahead? I vaguely recall the ship had been abandoned for a long time and had become sentient.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

There was a Short Trek on Enterprise with Spock and Number One / Lt. Commander Una.   So i guess she adopted "Number One" because Una means One is spanish?  But she's obviously not the first Number One.  Burnham was called Number One by Georgiou on the Shenzhou.   Though this does take place in the past, to when Spock first joined the Enterprise.  So either it spread throughout the fleet in a few years, or the writers are just being overly cute.

CBS definitely needs to do a show with Pike's Enterprise crew.

 

Edited by SpaceChampion

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, SpaceChampion said:

There was a Short Trek on Enterprise with Spock and Number One / Lt. Commander Una.   So i guess she adopted "Number One" because Una means One is spanish?  But she's obviously not the first Number One.  Burnham was called Number One by Georgiou on the Shenzhou.   Though this does take place in the past, to when Spock first joined the Enterprise.  So either it spread throughout the fleet in a few years, or the writers are just being overly cute.

CBS definitely needs to do a show with Pike's Enterprise crew.

 

I quite enjoyed pike and spock in season two and CBS is clearly happy to milk trek for all it's worth so I'd be ok with at least a limited series. The sets and costumes for the enterprise were great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, red snow said:

i get wert's "andromeda" comparison now. Still, I'm glad they are out of the narrow window of the prequel era they were trapped in

I'm a bit leery of Star Trek time travel. Why care about events in the distant future if Discovery isn't supposed to be there and returning to its proper place in the timestream means that future will never happen?

11 hours ago, red snow said:

Also trying to get my head around where the short calypso episode fits now. Is it in the era season 3 takes place in or is it even further ahead?

The Discovery had been abandoned for a thousand years, but given the time travel, who knows what century it was abandoned in? If it returns to its own time, then Calypso is some decades ahead of season 3, but I get the impression it's more likely to be a thousand years after season 3.

41 minutes ago, SpaceChampion said:

There was a Short Trek on Enterprise with Spock and Number One / Lt. Commander Una.   So i guess she adopted "Number One" because Una means One is spanish?  But she's obviously not the first Number One.

It's traditional navy slang, not something invented for Trek. Naming the character Una was the overly cute writing choice. In universe, the characters may well use the slang term more because of her name; not all captains use it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, felice said:

I'm a bit leery of Star Trek time travel. Why care about events in the distant future if Discovery isn't supposed to be there and returning to its proper place in the timestream means that future will never happen?

The Discovery had been abandoned for a thousand years, but given the time travel, who knows what century it was abandoned in? If it returns to its own time, then Calypso is some decades ahead of season 3, but I get the impression it's more likely to be a thousand years after season 3.

It's traditional navy slang, not something invented for Trek. Naming the character Una was the overly cute writing choice. In universe, the characters may well use the slang term more because of her name; not all captains use it.

Do you think they will return to their original time? I was hoping/expecting them to remain there given the reasoning for them escaping to the future. Then again i think Georgiou is with them which means she has to get back if they want to make a spin off show about her and section 13

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, red snow said:

Do you think they will return to their original time? I was hoping/expecting them to remain there given the reasoning for them escaping to the future.

I don't know, but the impression I have is that a lot of time travel episodes involve the importance of returning temporally displaced things to their proper place in the timestream, so Discovery staying in the future feels wrong. The reasoning for their future exile seemed pretty dubious to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My strong impression was that they're staying in the future as it tidies up all the complaints about continuity and lets them go somewhere new. Obviously Georgiou needs to wind up going back though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are we sure the Section 31 series is still happening? I'm almost sure it was announced before PIcard and yet one show is almost done filming and we've heard nothing about the other....

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×