Star Trek Discovery #3 [Spoilers] - It's A Wonderful Spock!

SpaceChampion

8 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Yes exactly, because they have written themselves into a corner and a concept like that is not so easy to do away with.

I mean the thing basically breaks the entire plot of Voyager when you think about it. I often wonder if the people working on this show even saw one episode of Trek before.

1 minute ago, sifth said:

I mean the thing basically breaks the entire plot of Voyager when you think about it. I often wonder if the people working on this show even saw one episode of Trek before.

What gets me is that the spore drive isn't just a little story quirk that you can forget or accidentally caused some continuity issues. It wasn't something the writers carelessly left in.

The entire arc of the first season, with multiple realities and the whole spore dimension was central to everything. They must have decided very early that the spore drive was something they wanted in. 

I could have forgiven it, but that it seems like a device they created to allow the other dimension thing to happen only makes it worse, as that storyline was utter lazy confusing bollocks.

2 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

What gets me is that the spore drive isn't just a little story quirk that you can forget or accidentally caused some continuity issues. It wasn't something the writers carelessly left in.

The entire arc of the first season, with multiple realities and the whole spore dimension was central to everything. They must have decided very early that the spore drive was something they wanted in. 

I could have forgiven it, but that it seems like a device they created to allow the other dimension thing to happen only makes it worse, as that storyline was utter lazy confusing bollocks.

You ever read the theory how the plot of Discovery was basically ripped off an unfinished video game?

https://www.plagiarismtoday.com/2018/09/11/understanding-the-star-trek-discovery-plagiarism-allegations/

There's the link. It's a pretty good read and for me any way helps explain why this show feels completely different from anything Star Trek related. If true it's pretty disgusting they were allowed to get away with this.

5 minutes ago, sifth said:

You ever read the theory how the plot of Discovery was basically ripped off an unfinished video game?

https://www.plagiarismtoday.com/2018/09/11/understanding-the-star-trek-discovery-plagiarism-allegations/

There's the link. It's a pretty good read and for me any way helps explain why this show feels completely different from anything Star Trek related. If true it's pretty disgusting they were allowed to get away with this.

Lol, never heard of that! There are a ton of similarities but I can see how potentially that could just be a coincidence. 

Two people having the same stupid idea independently has happened in the past.

On 2/24/2019 at 12:12 PM, Heartofice said:

Well if they are saying it is a direct relationship with the other Treks then that is some royal level of bullshit right there. Maybe my ignorance of that fact helped me through. 

I just took it as a sort of alternate universe in the same way that Abrams movies were. 

I haven't seen anything from season 2 yet. but I did find an interesting easter egg in season 1 episode 10.  The emperor tells Michael about the U.S.S. Defiant using interphasic space to arrive in the mirror universe.  Although the crew had gone insane and killed each other.  This seems to be the outcome of the Defiant from TOS The Tholian Web episode where Kirk investigates the status of the Defiant.  It is found trapped in interphasic space with crew dead.  Seemingly having gone insane and killed each other.  Eventually the ship fades completely and disappears.  STD Ep10 is an interesting conclusion to the Defiant's outcome from the Tholian Web episode.

42 minutes ago, LynnS said:

STD Ep10 is an interesting conclusion to the Defiant's outcome from the Tholian Web episode.

Ummh... you do know that this happened in the Enterprise mirror universe episodes? It's literally two (very good!) episodes that you could watch right now.

Though now I wonder in what context STD felt the need to shove that one in...

16 minutes ago, Toth said:

Ummh... you do know that this happened in the Enterprise mirror universe episodes? It's literally two (very good!) episodes that you could watch right now.

Yes, I know there was a TOS mirror universe episode as well.  I was going to mention it, but thought it was obvious.  When I saw STD S1Ep10; I didn't make the connection about the Defiant to TOS S3Ep9 until later.  It was sort of  a loose end in the original series. Basically Kirk just says the Defiant disappeared and went wherever it went.  LOL  So if STD is doing their research; they seemed to have filled in the blank about where the Defiant went.  I think that's interesting.

There are a lot of small things that I notice as well.  One being the badge for rank and discipline.  They have made different them rather than generic and this is straight out of TOS as well.  Hand held equipment is also basically the same concept as TOS.

I'm not too upset that Klingons are more klingon than human.  I rather like that they are getting a face-lift from the likes of Neville Page and Glenn Hetrick of Face-Off fame.

Each iteration of the Star Trek franchise has brought their own update according to the technologies available at the time.  The look of the whole things is fantastic.  I'm reminded that the Original Star Trek ran on a shoe string budget and was one script away from shutting down on most days.   

12 minutes ago, Toth said:

It was probably a half-assed way to try and connect everything. Kind of how they did that again in the second to last episode of season 1 where they mention Archer as the last human to visit the Klingon home world.....................back when Klingons still looked like Klingons and not the weird creatures they are in ST:D.

2 minutes ago, LynnS said:

Yes, I know about there was a TOS mirror universe episode as well.  I was going to mention it, but thought it was obvious.  When I saw STD S1Ep10; I didn't make the connection about the Defiant to TOS S3Ep9 until later.  It was sort of  a loose end in the original series. Basically Kirk just says the Defiant disappeared and went wherever it went.  LOL  So if STD is doing their research; they seemed to have filled in the blank about where the Defiant went.  I think that's interesting.

That blank was already filled in by a really great two parter of Enterprise. We already knew what happened to the Defiant almost ten years before that episode even aired.

4 minutes ago, LynnS said:

It was sort of  a loose end in the original series. Basically Kirk just says the Defiant disappeared and went wherever it went.  LOL  So if STD is doing their research; they seemed to have filled in the blank about where the Defiant went.  I think that's interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrXek1nEtrk

28 minutes ago, Toth said:

So which version is canon then?  The one from TOS where everyone goes insane, kills each other and disappears from interphasic space or this version from Enterprise where the Defiant is destroyed?   Was the disappearance of the Defiance something that happens in Discovery's future or something that happened in the past before Discovery?

6 minutes ago, LynnS said:

So which version is canon then?  The one from TOS where everyone goes insane, kills each other and disapperas from interphasic space or this version from Enterprise where the Defiant is destroyed?    

The Defiant wasn't destroyed. It was thrown into the 22nd century mirror universe where the crew of the ISS Enterprise NX-01 nabbed it from a Tholian salvage dock and used it to give the Terran Empire a massive technology boost (that also somehow causes them to use exact copies of Constitution class ships for the next 100 years). In ENT they made a painful effort to recreate the Defiant to the last bit, even down too the position of the corpses of its crew.

Both TOS and ENT are canon and the events depicted in them. The fate of the Defiant had been resolved long ago.

Man, if a single past reference from a show that is so ashamed to be Star Trek makes you so excited, Star Trek Online's massive continuity welding would drive you crazy...

1 minute ago, Toth said:

The Defiant wasn't destroyed. It was thrown into the 22nd century mirror universe where the crew of the ISS Enterprise NX-01 nabbed it from a Tholian salvage dock and used it to give the Terran Empire a massive technology boost (that also somehow causes them to use exact copies of Constitution class ships for the next 100 years).

Both TOS and ENT are canon and the events depicted in them. The fate of the Defiant had been resolved long ago.

Man, if a single past reference from a show that is so ashamed to be Star Trek makes you so excited, Star Trek Online's massive continuity welding would drive you crazy...

How can they be alive at all, if they were found already dead by Kirk?

I do like the new Star Trek.  I want to be entertained.  I want to see something I haven't seen before.  If people can't enjoy it, well, that's not my problem.

Just now, LynnS said:

They weren't. Those are Mirror Universe Imperials who were stealing the ship. Later on they pick up the Starfleet uniforms because they haven't brought spare clothes before the Enterprise blew up.

1 hour ago, LynnS said:

I do like the new Star Trek.  I want to be entertained.  I want to see something I haven't seen before.  If people can't enjoy it, well, that's not my problem.

The new Star Trek is a prequel series though, that's trying really hard not to be a prequel series, by breaking every established rule of it's timeline. If you what to pretend that's not an issue, it's fine by me, but the issue still exists non the less.

For all of Enterprise's problems it at least felt like a Star Trek prequel. The Enterprise wasn't suddenly able to go to warp 10, the crew was never visited by Q like beings, everyone didn't use holograms to communicate with others (aside from the characters from the future), the Klingons looked like proper Klingons, Vulcans didn't have Jedi powers that could transport their minds half way around the universe, and so on. 

I hate to sound like a broken record, but the sad truth is, most of these problems could be fixed had this show not been a prequel to TOS or set in the main timeline.

25 minutes ago, sifth said:

The new Star Trek is a prequel series though, that's trying really hard not to be a prequel series, by breaking every established rule of it's timeline. If you what to pretend that's not an issue, it's fine by me, but the issue still exists non the less.

For all of Enterprise's problems it at least felt like a Star Trek prequel. The Enterprise wasn't suddenly able to go to warp 10, the crew was never visited by Q like beings, everyone didn't use holograms to communicate with others (aside from the characters from the future), the Klingons looked like proper Klingons, Vulcans didn't have Jedi powers that could transport their minds half way around the universe, and so on. 

I hate to sound like a broken record, but the sad truth is, most of these problems could be fixed had this show not been a prequel to TOS or set in the main timeline.

A few weeks ago, my mother had an angiogram to remove a blockage in an artery.  She was transported back to hospital from the heart institute and then developed a hole in the artery and bled internally half the volume of her blood.  She was put into a coma and air lifted back to the heart institute.  We thought she was going to die.  She survived.

These grievances about star trek don't bother me.  As I've said, I want to be entertained, enjoy what I'm watching and I do.  The sad truth is that people choose not to enjoy it.  But that's up to you.

Life is short, so enjoy it while you can.  If you can't enjoy it, find something you can enjoy.

14 minutes ago, LynnS said:

A few weeks ago, my mother had an angiogram to remove a blockage in an artery.  She was transported back to hospital from the heart institute and then developed a hole in the artery and bled internally half the volume of her blood.  She was put into a coma and air lifted back to the heart institute.  We thought she was going to die.  She survived.

These grievances about star trek don't bother me.  As I've said, I want to be entertained, enjoy what I'm watching and I do.  The sad truth is that people choose not to enjoy it.  But that's up to you.

Life is short, so enjoy it while you can.  If you can't enjoy it, find something you can enjoy.

Sorry about your mother, I know how hard that can be.

That being said, that doesn't mean people don't have a right to not like something they view as poorly written; especially true when the complaints are ones that honestly make sense.

1 minute ago, sifth said:

Sorry about your mother, I know how hard that can be.

That being said, that doesn't mean people don't have a right to not like something they view as poorly written; especially true when the complaints are ones that honestly make sense.

Thank you.  It was really, really bad.  That wasn't what we were expecting, that's for sure. She's still in hospital but progressing.

People can make their own choices about what they like.  I enjoy it.  I think it's a fine show.  I'm not bothered by the things that bother others about it.  Of course, I haven't see season 2, but I got quite a kick out of season 1.   Captain Killy - I mean really.  That cracked me up. 

Archived