Most melancholic and "Human" moments in ASOIAF?

Roose Trollton.

When people think about ASOIAF, they normally remember the loud, epic moments with a lot of carnage and action.

But for me, the most memorable moments in the series are those heavy with melancholy and "humanity", with a "Shakespearean" vibe: the tension between love and honor, the human desire for love, respect and glory, those lonely moments where we think about things that were and things that could have been, unsatisfied dreams and desires. Those are what make the series so memorable for me. 

Some of those that strike me those feelings are:
Septon Meribalds speech

Ser Barristan reflecting on his life: Ashara Dayne, the kings he served, wether his life was worth it or not, his joys and his failures 

Jaime and Tyrion's chapters in AFFC/ADWD: Jaime looking at the White book and thinking at all that has been and all that still could be written, talking to his aunt about his father and Tyrion; Tyrion thinking about his life , Tysha and Jaime.

4 minutes ago, Roose Trollton. said:

When people think about ASOIAF, they normally remember the loud, epic moments with a lot of carnage and action.

But for me, the most memorable moments in the series are those heavy with melancholy and "humanity", with a "Shakespearean" vibe: the tension between love and honor, the human desire for love, respect and glory, those lonely moments where we think about things that were and things that could have been, unsatisfied dreams and desires. Those are what make the series so memorable for me. 

Septon Meribalds speech

Ser Barristan reflecting on his life: Ashara Dayne, the kings he served, wether his life was worth it or not, his joys and his failures 

Jaime and Tyrion's chapters in AFFC/ADWD: Jaime looking at the White book and thinking at all that has been and all that still could be written, talking to his aunt about his father and Tyrion; Tyrion thinking about his life , Tysha and Jaime.

Unrequited love made for a lot of weepy literature over the centuries.  

12 minutes ago, Roose Trollton. said:

Septon Meribalds speech

Heavy with humanity.  Alright then.

1. Daenerys and Drogo wedding day.  When he gave her the silver mare.
  2. Sandor Clegane defending the gates from the Baratheon forces.  He freaked out because of the fire.
  3. Cersei's nude walk of shame.

Shakespearean vibe: 1. Ned and Cersei's honest convo. But it would've went something like this if it was up to Shakespeare: 

Ned and Cersei meeting accidentally:

Cersei: "Ah, there you are, Lord Stark. Just so you know, I'm onto you."

Ned: "Well I'm onto you too. Your children are bastards."

Cersei: "So they are."

Ned: "Leave away in foreign lands, my dear Queen, and you shall be spared."

Cersei: "I'm offering my body to you, so you keep your mouth shut."

Ned: "No."

Cersei: "Gods! Now we have no choice, its either me or you."

Ned: "So it is." 

2. Tyrion's trial at the Eyrie and the duel. The whole story about it, IMO, is played properly, as it should, by the book. A man is accused of murder and dragged from point A to point B, even though there's quite a ride between those two points. He can easily suffer some "misfortune" on the long and weary road, but he doesn't. On the place where they arrive, the man is despised almost by everyone, from the hosts and crowd too. Yet, his rights are honored: He is a noble, so he has a right to demand a trial by combat, and so he does. A mercenary steps up and does what he should do: tries his luck to save the accused, out of his self-benefit of course, and wins the duel. Tyrion is allowed to leave.

3. Jon Arryn's refusal of Aerys's demand to give him Robert's and Ned's lives. 

4. Also, yeah, gonna agree with @The Transporter on Sandor's departure during Blackwater battle.

When people make extreme decisions when they feel they must, there's always some interesting outcome.

Arya's thoughts when she is hiding Needle in Braavos. 

Needle was Robb and Bran and Rickon, her mother and her father, even Sansa. Needle was Winterfell's grey walls, and the laughter of its people. Needle was the summer snows, Old Nan's stories, the heart tree with its red leaves and scary face, the warm earthy smell of the glass gardens, the sound of the north wind rattling the shutters of her room. Needle was Jon Snow's smile. He used to mess my hair and call me "little sister," she remembered, and suddenly there were tears in her eyes.

Sansa building Winterfell out of snow.

Jon's thoughts when he hears about Arya's pending marriage to Ramsay.

" Jon could almost see her in that moment, long-faced and gawky, all knobby knees and sharp elbows, with her dirty face and tangled hair. They would wash the one and comb the other, he did not doubt, but he could not imagine Arya in a wedding gown, nor Ramsay Bolton's bed. No matter how afraid she is, she will not show it. If he tries to lay a hand on her, she'll fight him.

14 hours ago, The Transporter said:

Heavy with humanity.  Alright then.

1. Daenerys and Drogo wedding day.  When he gave her the silver mare.
  2. Sandor Clegane defending the gates from the Baratheon forces.  He freaked out because of the fire.
  3. Cersei's nude walk of sham

Cersei chapters where basically a super heavy, super condensed version of all Theon chapters.heavy stuff

All good considerations.    Septon Meribald's broken men speech was the 1st thing that came to mind while reading the OP.   I've read the series countless times--I listen so it's a bit easier for me to check it out than a person chained with their eyes.   These days I consider the identity stories in Jon, Sansa, Arya and Dany.   The darkness that Tyrion can't help but overcome.   The loss of humanity for the sake of humanity in the BwB.  Dichotomy between job descriptions (Knight) and familial and personal identities (Jorah, Jamie).  The road to Hell paved with good intentions in Manderly and Stannis.   The assimilation and annihilation of identity in sell sword companies, the Nights Watch and House of Black and White.   Gads is there a more depressing character than Pretty Maris?   (Down side of listening-no idea how anything is actually spelled!)   Davos' resounding unfailing humility in the face of Melisandre's resounding unfailing faith.  Alysayne Mormont's careful care of Asha as a captive.  Asha's horror at Ramsey's letter.  

I recently listened to an Arya chapter from ASOS where she is taken by the BwB in search of the Lightning Lord.   Her time with Lady Smallwood still breaks my heart for both characters.    There are so many truly beautifully drawn moments of great sadness, hope amid despair and common humanity.   

Brienne chapters in AFFC are full of these, especially Meribald story arc. Or when they arrived to Quiet Isle and had a word with Elder Brother.

AFFC was a nice book, much of it is a buildup and seemingly pointless meandering, but I liked it very much.

On 11/11/2018 at 6:34 PM, Curled Finger said:

All good considerations.    Septon Meribald's broken men speech was the 1st thing that came to mind while reading the OP.   I've read the series countless times--I listen so it's a bit easier for me to check it out than a person chained with their eyes.   These days I consider the identity stories in Jon, Sansa, Arya and Dany.   The darkness that Tyrion can't help but overcome.   The loss of humanity for the sake of humanity in the BwB.  Dichotomy between job descriptions (Knight) and familial and personal identities (Jorah, Jamie).  The road to Hell paved with good intentions in Manderly and Stannis.   The assimilation and annihilation of identity in sell sword companies, the Nights Watch and House of Black and White.   Gads is there a more depressing character than Pretty Maris?   (Down side of listening-no idea how anything is actually spelled!)   Davos' resounding unfailing humility in the face of Melisandre's resounding unfailing faith.  Alysayne Mormont's careful care of Asha as a captive.  Asha's horror at Ramsey's letter.  

I recently listened to an Arya chapter from ASOS where she is taken by the BwB in search of the Lightning Lord.   Her time with Lady Smallwood still breaks my heart for both characters.    There are so many truly beautifully drawn moments of great sadness, hope amid despair and common humanity.   

Amazing.

In both the books and the show, I grew weary of the constant walking - Brienne and Pod walking, Brienne and Jaime walking, Arya walking with just about everyone (come to think of it, there are A LOT of people that know Arya Stark is alive...but that is for another thread.) In any case, it seemed pointless.

Until everything started to speed up. I noticed it more pointedly in the show, but it applies none the less to the books as well. Those walks are what made the characters.  The travels and personal connections that form during these times make the story raw and rich.  I feel that we see this most pointedly with Jaime and Brienne, but Brienne and Pod meet with the Elder Brother during this time as well.  It is these small, quiet moments and the raw emotions expressed in conversation that I now treasure.

I am rereading Dance now, and I am taking the time to really focus on Tyrion's travels.  I think this is where Martin really spurs emotional change in his characters, so I wonder what he is trying to tell us with Tyrion's story. At this juncture, I am leaning towards finding the will and the want to live and finding a purpose.

The old adage, "its not the destination but the journey" seems to apply

For me:

1) When Yoren shielded Arya from the execution. He managed to show great compassion and kindness while being firm and brusque in a very dangerous situation where he didn't have time to prepare Arya or himself for the event.

2) When Tyrion discovered Shae had broken his heart. You could practically hear the world crack from Tyrion's POV.

3) When Hot Pie found himself a warm oven to call his own. It's about the only happy ending we have so far. Small as it is, I'll take it.

11 hours ago, Lady Rhodes said:

In both the books and the show, I grew weary of the constant walking - Brienne and Pod walking, Brienne and Jaime walking, Arya walking with just about everyone (come to think of it, there are A LOT of people that know Arya Stark is alive...but that is for another thread.) In any case, it seemed pointless.

Until everything started to speed up. I noticed it more pointedly in the show, but it applies none the less to the books as well. Those walks are what made the characters.  The travels and personal connections that form during these times make the story raw and rich.  I feel that we see this most pointedly with Jaime and Brienne, but Brienne and Pod meet with the Elder Brother during this time as well.  It is these small, quiet moments and the raw emotions expressed in conversation that I now treasure.

I am rereading Dance now, and I am taking the time to really focus on Tyrion's travels.  I think this is where Martin really spurs emotional change in his characters, so I wonder what he is trying to tell us with Tyrion's story. At this juncture, I am leaning towards finding the will and the want to live and finding a purpose.

The old adage, "its not the destination but the journey" seems to apply

Right On!  It will be interesting to see what you think about things after your next study.  The tale is a masterpiece.    You can come check in here with any really pertinent Tyrion moments--there are so many.   He's not easy to read in Dance, that is I've always felt he was hard to swallow in his self loathing drunken madness.  But he's still very clever and funny beneath his madness.   Mostly I began to spot him from time to time, but I still find something new in each reread and reconciling the person he becomes with the person he was gets easier.   I bet you will have a few more treasures.   Applauding!   

12 hours ago, Trefayne said:

For me:

1) When Yoren shielded Arya from the execution. He managed to show great compassion and kindness while being firm and brusque in a very dangerous situation where he didn't have time to prepare Arya or himself for the event.

2) When Tyrion discovered Shae had broken his heart. You could practically hear the world crack from Tyrion's POV.

3) When Hot Pie found himself a warm oven to call his own. It's about the only happy ending we have so far. Small as it is, I'll take it.

All excellent moments.  Remember thinking "Good, at least Hot Pie has found a home in all this madness..."?  I'll take it, too.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/11/2018 at 3:34 PM, Curled Finger said:

I really wanted Arya to stay with Lady Smallwood; their time together was beautifully written and seemed a bit of a respite for Arya.

Her brother was nodding eagerly, however. “I shall kill the Usurper myself,” he promised, who had never killed anyone, “as he killed my brother Rhaegar. And Lannister too, the Kingslayer, for what he did to my father.”
“That would be most fitting,” Magister Illyrio said. Dany saw the smallest hint of a smile playing around his full lips, but her brother did not notice. Nodding, he pushed back a curtain and stared off into the night, and Dany knew he was fighting the Battle of the Trident once again. - AGoT, Daenerys I

Viserys longs to right the wrongs of the Rebellion. To avenge his father, his brother, and his house as anyone in his position would. But he is incapable of even modest accomplishment, surviving only on the charity of others. He can't lead, fight, or plot. He is nowhere near equal to the task he is burdened with and he never has been, so he copes by imagining himself as the hero and savior of House Targaryen. It's sad, pathetic, and entirely human.

Archived