US Politics: Paradise Lost

Fragile Bird

With regard to the title and the reference to the town of Paradise.

Pacific Gas and Electric, a major utility company in the US, has seen it’s stock price almost wiped out in fears it will be found liable for causing the Camp Fire, the fire that has devastated so much of that part of California. The company reported they were having issues with transmission lines in the area that were sparking. Their lines were found to cause fires last year.

They say they don’t have enough insurance money and cash to pay the possible $15B in estimated damages caused by the fire.

3 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

With regard to the title and the reference to the town of Paradise.

Pacific Gas and Electric, a major utility company in the US, has seen it’s stock price almost wiped out in fears it will be found liable for causing the Camp Fire, the fire that has devastated so much of that part of California. The company reported they were having issues with transmission lines in the area that were sparking. Their lines were found to cause fires last year.

They say they don’t have enough insurance money and cash to pay the possible $15B in estimated damages caused by the fire.

YAAAY! Buyouts and bonuses for the heroic CEO and stockholders!!!

ETA: Still at over $18 dollars. Huge loss on the day but I think you overstated. Talk to me if it hits $7.

12 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

ETA: Still at over $18 dollars. Huge loss on the day but I think you overstated. Talk to me if it hits $7.

Truth, I imagine CA tax payers will have to pay about 3 Billion in buyouts and bonuses to the CEO and board of directors and executives. And do a cash infusion.

Because the real problem is that stupid rich incompetent execs haven't been compensated enough.

8 minutes ago, lokisnow said:

Truth, I imagine CA tax payers will have to pay about 3 Billion in buyouts and bonuses to the CEO and board of directors and executives. And do a cash infusion.

Because the real problem is that stupid rich incompetent execs haven't been compensated enough.

"We can't just let the entire state burn down instead of putting a nozzle on. We know that now!"

Whattttt???? in the frackin' world????????????

Ya, yah, yeah, it's a fatal personal flaw but it's taken all these years to understand there are really a lot of really nutzo people in the world.b  Nutzo people with waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much vacant time.

Whoa...NBC is reporting that the Trump administration is re-examining a request by Turkey for the extradition of exiled Turkish cleric Fethullah Gulen.

Gulen is a fierce critic of Erdrogan, and Erdrogan has attempted to paint Gulen as the mastermind of the failed 2016 coup in Turkey.  The report says that the administration is considering this to soothe relations between Turkey and Saudi Arabia over the murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi at the Saudi embassy in Turkey.

Gulen is a U.S. green card holder and has lived in Pennsylvania for over 20 years and has had 2 previous extradition requests denied.

The effort includes directives to the Justice Department and FBI that officials reopen Turkey's case for his extradition, as well as a request to the Homeland Security Department for information about his legal status, the four people said.

They said the White House specifically wanted details about Gulen's residency status in the U.S. Gulen has a Green Card, according to two people familiar with the matter. He has been living in Pennsylvania since the late 1990s.

Career officials at the agencies pushed back on the White House requests, the U.S. officials and people briefed on the requests said.

6 hours ago, Maithanet said:

The 400k number is the number of black ex-cons.  The number of total ex-cons who were reinfranchised is something like 1.4 million.  This WaPo Article takes a stab at it, although I don't like some of the assumptions they make.  They added a caviat the article at the end that ex-cons vote very infrequently (16% for black voters, 12% for all others).  This would mean approximately 64k new black voters and 120k new white/latino/other voters.  So of those ~180k new voters, who many votes might the Democrats pick up?  It's hard to really say, but something on the order of 20-30k sounds right.  Which would make this incredibly close election even closer, and the 2018 result might see a split decision with Nelson and Desantis both winning very narrowly. 

For me, the more important point is that these people have had a democratic right returned to them that should never have been taken away. Whether they exercise that right, or any political calculus around whether there is a meaningful advantage for any party in this is not really relevant. I hope people who voted for the return of these rights didn't do so in the hopes of some kind of future electoral advantage. Though it wouldn't surprise me if some people were that mercenary in their thinking.

3 hours ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

That’s down from $48 last week, and it hasn’t bottomed. Some people will hang on until the bitter end.

Apparently Mike Pence specifically asked to be seated with our PM (a woman if anyone doesn't already know) at the recent ASEAN summit dinner. She ended up sitting next to Pence's wife, because of course Pence cannot be in touching distance of any woman who is not a family member, lest the devil inside the woman tempt him into corrupt inclinations.

Not sure what to make of it. Did Pence not want his wife sitting next to some dude, especially not a dude of colour? Or some woman who can't speak good English? Or did he actually want to be able to chat with her about meaningful things?

It's unusual for seating requests to be made for these things. All of our media (and the PM) is making it out to be some kind of special thing. But I suspect it was something a bit weird, rather than any kind of "New Zealand is a special friend" kind of thing. After all the US is still being a dick about tariffs on our steel exports, which amount to a minuscule $30M a year. That's not going to ruin the US steel industry any time soon.

You know, the Pence thing about women pisses me off more than it should. He has a lot of views that I loathe and should get me more riled up, but this one just gets under my skin in a way that the (sadly) commonplace homophobia, pro-life bullshit doesn't. Aside from the whole temptress trope that's gross, it's denying an avenue of access to him that men get. That's the problematic part. It bothers me to no end that it's the butt of endless jokes and rarely is it called out as being the highly discriminatory act that it is.

Not sure if this is a positive sign, a PR stunt, or something else...

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/ocasio-cortez-gets-in-closed-door-fight-with-veteran-lawmaker-over-climate-change/ar-BBPKX46?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=msnclassic

A fight broke out in a closed-door meeting of House Democrats over climate change as a powerful veteran lawmaker fought with freshman star Rep.-elect Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and other members-elect over the creation of a special panel for the issue.

New Jersey Rep. Frank Pallone, incoming chairman of the powerful Energy and Commerce Committee — backed by a number of other committee members — slammed the creation of the new climate panel, according to multiple sources in the room. Pallone argued that his committee and other existing panels within the House could take on the issue aggressively.

But Ocasio-Cortez (N.Y.), Rep.-elect Joe Neguse (Colo.) and some of the other progressive incoming lawmakers fought back, saying they ran on the issue and needed to do it. Ocasio-Cortez earlier this week pushed for a “Green New Deal” as she backed more than 200 young protesters at House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi’s office.

41 minutes ago, ThinkerX said:

It's probably a good sign. See this as well, where Pelosi basically gave a bunch of the CPCs a guarantee that they'll get seats and they'll open up new committees for them to join and run.

https://twitter.com/benwikler/status/1063235456509321216

49 minutes ago, ThinkerX said:

It's an incendiary and misleading headline (like everything AOC related the past coupledays)and you look earlier in the thread you'll see what's really going in.  The Ryan-Moulton contingent are trying to challenge Pelosi from the center the media is going apeshit trying to portray some kind of AOC - Pelosi showdown.  

As far as Pallone is concerned, why not run with the idea of a Green New Deal instead of whining about whose committee does what?

1 minute ago, Triskele said:

You know with how much Trump keeps score he has to be seeing every one of these late call races breaking Dem.  Has to be just ruining his already terrible mood.  

Again, to quote my wife - this will just make him more likely to strike out violently and aggressively more. Probably against people who can least defend themselves against him. I would bet on him hammering against what he sees as immigrants in some cruel, stupid way. 

Its less about politics and more about the thread title, but, holy fuck, people need to pay more attention to what's going on in the Paradise area.

First up, in addition to the 63 confirmed deaths, its now reported that there are 631 further missing persons. 631!!

Second, this story about the survivors freezing and getting diseases in a tent city does not read like something that should be happening anywhere near America.

And it seems like this story is barely being covered; certainly not to the extent it needs to be. Between this and Hurricane Maria last year, it seems like people are sticking their heads in the sand as the country is literally falling apart.

Archived