US Politics: Paradise Lost

Fragile Bird

U.S. intelligence officials have concluded that Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman ordered the killing of Saudi writer Jamal Khashoggi — a claim the Saudi government has denied.

That’s according to a U.S. official familiar with the conclusion, who spoke Friday only on condition of anonymity because the official was not authorized to speak publicly on the matter.

The Trump administration this week sanctioned individuals for their alleged role in the killing, but the intelligence officials’ conclusion bolsters efforts in Congress for a harsher U.S. response.

Intelligence officials: Saudi crown prince ordered Khashoggi killing

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/11/16/mohammed-bin-salman-jamal-khashoggi-intelligence-community-1000482

Ok, for whatever reason, I'm drawing a blank on this particular contest.  Is this a close race?  Another possible democratic pickup?

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/cindy-hyde-smith-makes-second-gaff-as-runoff-ramps-up/ar-BBPLf5O?ocid=ob-fb-enus-580&fbclid=IwAR2U3qYewhkGH4I0t3-nnGil0MJQ-FG4TzJng1D8PNRIauN6iwldKfZiGa4

Cindy Hyde-Smith, Mississippi's appointed U.S. Senator, is under fire for the second time in under a week for comments made on the campaign trail ahead of the Nov. 6 midterm elections.

Lamar White, Jr., publisher of The Bayou Brief, posted the video to Twitter on Thursday evening. In the clip, Hyde-Smith can be heard speaking about voter suppression to a group standing outside her campaign tour bus.

"And then they remind me, that there's a lot of liberal folks in those other schools who that maybe we don't want to vote. Maybe we want to make it just a little more difficult. And I think that's a great idea," Hyde-Smith says in the 18-second video.

So, this is conflicting,  Mia Love apparently has a small lead in her house race. So on one hand it is a seat that is held by the Republicans that was flipped. On the other, it definitely makes Trump looks like a moron.

Incumbent Rep. Mia Love (R-Utah) pulled ahead in her race against Democrat Ben McAdams for the first time Friday as an updated vote count in Utah County gave her a narrow lead.

Love is currently ahead by 419 votes after Friday’s tally, reversing her previous deficit of more than 1,000 votes, according to the Utah secretary of state's website.

The two-term lawmaker was among several Republicans President Trump bashed as losing candidates following the midterm elections this month, saying they came up short in their electoral bids because they failed to properly embrace him.

“Mia Love gave me no love. And she lost,” the president said last week at press briefing. “Too bad. Sorry about that, Mia.”

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/417238-mia-love-pulls-ahead-in-utah-race-as-judge-dismisses-her-lawsuit

California Republicans survey the political devastation of their party.  It looks almost like reality is starting to overcome dogma. 

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/rip-california-gop-republicans-lash-out-after-midterm-election-debacle/ar-BBPNVQQ?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=msnclassic

LOS ANGELES — In the wake of a near-political annihilation in California that has left even longtime conservative stronghold Orange County bereft of a single Republican in the House of Representatives, a growing chorus of GOP loyalists here say there’s only one hope for reviving the flatlining party: Blow it up and start again from scratch.

That harsh assessment comes as Republicans survey the damage from the devastation of a “blue tsunami” in California which wiped out five GOP-held House seats — with more still threatened — while handing every statewide seat and a supermajority to the Democrats in both houses of the state legislature this week.

1 hour ago, ThinkerX said:

California Republicans survey the political devastation of their party.  It looks almost like reality is starting to overcome dogma. 

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/rip-california-gop-republicans-lash-out-after-midterm-election-debacle/ar-BBPNVQQ?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=msnclassic

Sounds like the bellyaching of cowards to me. Do the responsible thing and blame all the fires on Democrats.

In 1955, when Carolyn Bryant lied and said that a 14-year-old Emmett Till had whistled at her, Till was murdered by her husband and brother-in-law.

Hyde-Smith has doubled down on her comment and refused to apologize. Her remarks do not merely reflect the excesses of partisanship in the U.S. midterm elections, nor are they the result of mere tribalism or polarization. This is white supremacy, upheld with the help of the actual and threatened violence of white women. This white supremacy exists in mainstream political elections, in extremist movements, and in more soft-core white savior configurations that are no less deadly. 

The image that most people conjure when they think of “white supremacy” is of a man in a Klan robe or marching at Charlottesville carrying a Tiki torch. And if we think of women upholding white supremacy at all, it is in the angry faces of women who opposed integration in the 1950s and busing in the 1970s.

But the truth is that white women have always been ardent proponents of violent white supremacy, and they continue to be some of its most vocal advocates.

White Women Who Vote GOP Aren’t ‘Voting Against Their Own Interests’

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/opinion-white-women-gop-midterms-white-supremacy_us_5bef0f98e4b0b84243e23e3b

7 hours ago, ThinkerX said:

Between California at 45-8 Democratic in the the House, New York 21-6 Democratic, and New England at 22-0 Democratic, regional polarisation is getting insane.

(Oh, and there is now only one split state legislature in the entire country - Minnesota).

Yah, I too read this, but what was most interesting and seeming to me at least, more interesting in terms of voter analysis, was this comment in response to the piece:

This analysis is interesting but I would be careful about how Democrats apply the conclusions. . . 

. . . .Most candidates didn't run on issues of gender and multiculturalism. Many candidates simply represented these groups in their own identity. The actual Democratic platform was almost universally healthcare, healthcare, and more healthcare with a side plank dedicated to voters rights.

I think the lesson for Democrats is most swing voters won't vote against gender and multiculturalism. However, these aren't the issues that motivate them. Clinton never really had a platform that wasn't identity based. She lost. Democrats need to give voters some positive issues and messaging independent from identity politics. . . . 

The comment should also have included age. It's time for the white, mostly male, geriatricacy ruling their comfy, lucrative protectorates to be over.  Time for fresher, younger, more energetic minds to start dealing with the disasters with which they and their children are facing.  The old white people's Dem club of Schumer, Pelosi and Biden can't -- won't! --cut it.

But we can see that they don't get it.  Biden's pr team is busy showing off his adopted rescue dog.  How much louder can he shout that he intends to go for the 2020 nomination?  It's just disgusting how he believes he's entitled to just take the momentum that younger, poorer candidates created, and think it is his?

38 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Yah, I too read this, but what was most interesting and seeming to me at least, more interesting in terms of voter analysis, was this comment in response to the piece:

The comment should also have included age. It's time for the white, mostly male, geriatricacy ruling their comfy, lucrative protectorates to be over.  Time for fresher, younger, more energetic minds to start dealing with the disasters with which they and their children are facing.  The old white people's Dem club of Schumer, Pelosi and Biden can't -- won't! --cut it.

But we can see that they don't get it.  Biden's pr team is busy showing off his adopted rescue dog.  How much louder can he shout that he intends to go for the 2020 nomination?  It's just disgusting how he believes he's entitled to just take the momentum that younger, poorer candidates created, and think it is his?

While I'm far from a supporter, I think Biden has the tiniest bit more credibility than Schumer Pelosi and others. Just my take. 

If we have to have an old loser he's the one with the best chance to win I guess.

20 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

While I'm far from a supporter, I think Biden has the tiniest bit more credibility than Schumer Pelosi and others. Just my take. 

If we have to have an old loser he's the one with the best chance to win I guess.

His moment passed.  Long ago.

13 hours ago, The Marquis de Leech said:

Between California at 45-8 Democratic in the the House, New York 21-6 Democratic, and New England at 22-0 Democratic, regional polarisation is getting insane.

(Oh, and there is now only one split state legislature in the entire country - Minnesota).

That partisan polarization scares the crap out of me.

Bill Nelson Concedes Florida Senate Race to Gov. Rick Scott

https://www.thedailybeast.com/florida-gov-rick-scott-on-track-to-unseat-sen-bill-nelson?ref=home

Democratic Sen. Bill Nelson called Florida Gov. Rick Scott to concede the state’s Senate race on Sunday. Scott released a statement to that effect, thanking Nelson and saying the incumbent senator had “graciously” conceded. The news came after the Associated Press reported that Scott was set to win the race with a lead of about 10,000 votes following a manual recount.

31 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

The only thing scary about it is why most of the rest of the states aren't like that. 

?  In terms of congressional delegations, most states are like that, or at least very lopsided to one party or another (albeit not quite at California's 85/15% clip).  The handful that are fairly even - Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin - are pretty self explanatory.

24 minutes ago, DMC said:

?  In terms of congressional delegations, most states are like that, or at least very lopsided to one party or another (albeit not quite at California's 85/15% clip).  The handful that are fairly even - Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin - are pretty self explanatory.

I’m thinking KB meant that the thing that’s scary is that most states aren’t overwhelmingly Democratic given the state of the Republican Party.  Not that most states are polarized one way or the other, which is what Scot seemed to be saying was scary.

Dunno what a good analogy is. Maybe pre-Civil War saying “man it’s so scary that there are pockets of the North that seem polarized against slavery.”  The real scary part was not that, but rather that there was so much of the South willing to go to war to defend slavery when the voting turned against them.

4 minutes ago, Wethers said:

Dunno what a good analogy is. Maybe pre-Civil War saying “man it’s so scary that there are pockets of the North that seem polarized against slavery.”  The real scary part was not that, but rather that there was so much of the South willing to go to war to defend slavery when the voting turned against them.

Well, considering almost all the states that are lopsided towards the GOP are in the South, I'd say that's a fine analogy.

Archived