How is Daenerys’ army being supplied?

Angel Eyes

So part of the requirements for having a large army is the ability to feed it and quench its thirst. How are Daenerys’ forces getting the necessary foodstuffs without starving and dying? Dragonstone is pretty bare from what we’ve seen, Tycho Nestoris has aligned the Iron Bank with Cersei for some reason (I thought the Iron Bank was founded on escaped slaves, so they wouldn’t want to align against Daenerys), and Daenerys burned the Reach’s provisions in The Spoils of War. Plus, Jaime and the Lannister soldiers stripped Casterly Rock of all its stores. Money is needed to buy food, and the Reach’s gold was used by Cersei as collateral for the Iron Bank.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/2/2018 at 4:29 AM, BalerionTheCat said:

I don't think the show is bothering with such consideration. I'm sure GRRM would not do the same.

The army should plunder what they can from the country. I imagine Dothrakis good for that. Not good for Daenerys PR.

I guess they must be and not have a problem with supplies. Otherwise, they wouldn't want to destroy a supply train, would they? If I made a plan for that battle in The Spoils of War, I'd send Drogon against the Lannister army and have the Dothraki attack the supply train to carry off. I wouldn't destroy the supplies, because, well, Winter is Coming.

On ‎11‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 4:27 PM, Angel Eyes said:

So part of the requirements for having a large army is the ability to feed it and quench its thirst. How are Daenerys’ forces getting the necessary foodstuffs without starving and dying? Dragonstone is pretty bare from what we’ve seen, Tycho Nestoris has aligned the Iron Bank with Cersei for some reason (I thought the Iron Bank was founded on escaped slaves, so they wouldn’t want to align against Daenerys), and Daenerys burned the Reach’s provisions in The Spoils of War. Plus, Jaime and the Lannister soldiers stripped Casterly Rock of all its stores. Money is needed to buy food, and the Reach’s gold was used by Cersei as collateral for the Iron Bank.

A mixture of supplies coming in from Essos, and food being requisitioned across the Crownlands.

On 12/6/2018 at 3:10 PM, Angel Eyes said:

I guess they must be and not have a problem with supplies. Otherwise, they wouldn't want to destroy a supply train, would they? I

I might be totally wrong but I'm convinced that this scene is explained by the fact that it's simpler and cheaper to burn wagons and carts etc.  than stuntmen.

One would think they were supplied in much the same way the supply train was being taken to KL, albeit on much more friendly terms. Dany was allied with both The Reach and Dorne prior to arriving in Westeros, it is not a stretch to think the supplies were already there when they arrived, or shortly thereafter. 

22 hours ago, Error-504 said:

One would think they were supplied in much the same way the supply train was being taken to KL, albeit on much more friendly terms. Dany was allied with both The Reach and Dorne prior to arriving in Westeros, it is not a stretch to think the supplies were already there when they arrived, or shortly thereafter. 

Its called a supply train for a reason, they need to keep coming. Dany has lost control of both Dorne and the Reach with her allies deaths, But as has been said, it won't be acknowledged, the same way Dragonstone was empty to walk right in to.

10 hours ago, AryaNymeriaVisenya said:

Its called a supply train for a reason, they need to keep coming. Dany has lost control of both Dorne and the Reach with her allies deaths, But as has been said, it won't be acknowledged, the same way Dragonstone was empty to walk right in to.

No, that single supply train was bring enough food to KL to last the winter, for a city of what.........1 million people? Dragonstone could have been fully stocked up before Dany's arrival, that was part of the reason Varys made allies beforehand. 

• 3 weeks later...

I used to read up a bit on the old line 16th-19th century mariners, the ones who made voyages lasting most of a year from Europe to India or Indonesia.  Typically, there'd be hundreds of people crammed onto those ships - but they didn't stop all that often for supplies - maybe twice during the voyage, and then water would be the priority.  Something on the order of 3-4 months worth of provisions, maybe double that.

So, the Narrow Sea is not all that big, maybe a couple weeks to cross.  If Dany's fleet was packed full of supplies, then likely she made that crossing with something on the order of several months worth of food for later.  At that point, it becomes timeline stuff - how long between the time she landed at Dragonstone and the time she started sending troops onto the mainland.  Likely, those stores were running a bit low by the time Jon Snow arrived.   

On 12/11/2018 at 2:16 PM, AryaNymeriaVisenya said:

Dany only briefly lost control of the Reach, she retook it in Eastwatch when everyone bent the knee. She likely named a new lord Paramount of the Reach. 

And it is never truly stated that she lost Dorne. She says it, but what are they going to do, side with Cersei ????

Archived