Impact crater found in Greenland; New source for Younger Dryas extinction?

Ser Scot A Ellison

So some have speculated that the extinction from the Younger Dryas could have been caused by an impact event.  The frequent referain in opposition to that idea has been the absence of a large impact crater or its remenants.  Guess what we just found in Greenland?

Here’s the article:

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/impact-crater-greenland-asteroid-younger-dryas

I was looking on Reddit about this article, which brought up this which seems to fit very nicely and provides a potentially more precise date for the impact. But that information came from a complete kook who then proceeded to amaze everyone about how the ancients made a pact to pass knowledge into the future and how this tied into the Sumerians and other things.

It was diverting.

3 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

So some have speculated that the extinction from the Younger Dryas could have been caused by an impact event.  The frequent referain in opposition to that idea has been the absence of a large impact crater or its remenants.  Guess what we just found in Greenland?

Here’s the article:

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/impact-crater-greenland-asteroid-younger-dryas

I just read this article also and it does solve a conundrum concerning the disappearance of North American megafauna. Some thought the arrival of people from Asia was the cause but the timelines never seemed to match in that the animals disappeared before the people had a chance to really gain a foothold.

OK I have to mention this - I was on a transatlantic flight that went over Greenland this week, and the little flight path map thing they have showed Greenland as green. As in, this massive, ice-free island (in the shape of iced-Greenland, whereas we know that probably under the ice its an archipelago, but like that should be my concern) with green satellite imagery landcover that doesn't exist and never existed there and I assume was like copy-pasted from somewhere in the Midwest or something.

I mean, someone had to put this together and draw up this strange Green-Greenland globe in the background of the little flight path app, its not just an error showing the wrong season or a weird projection or something. It was just bizarre. I'm seriously thinking of writing the airline just to get to the bottom of it.

Archived