If Sansa had gone with Sandor

Legitimate_Bastard

A Storm of Swords - Sansa I

Even so, she must accept. She was nothing now, the discarded daughter of a traitor and disgraced sister of a rebel lord. She could scarcely refuse Joffrey's queen-to-be.
I wish the Hound were here. The night of the battle, Sandor Clegane had come to her chambers to take her from the city, but Sansa had refused. Sometimes she lay awake at night, wondering if she'd been wise. She had his stained white cloak hidden in a cedar chest beneath her summer silks. She could not say why she'd kept it. The Hound had turned craven, she heard it said; at the height of the battle, he got so drunk the Imp had to take his men. But Sansa understood. She knew the secret of his burned face. It was only the fire he feared. That night, the wildfire had set the river itself ablaze, and filled the very air with green flame. Even in the castle, Sansa had been afraid. Outside . . . she could scarcely imagine it.
Sighing, she got out quill and ink, and wrote Margaery Tyrell a gracious note of acceptance.

What could have happened? Would have happened? I wonder if the Hound had taken Sansa to Riverrun if maybe the Tullys would have employed him. Joffs dog could have been Sansas wolf!!

What are your thoughts?

2 hours ago, Legitimate_Bastard said:

What could have happened? Would have happened? I wonder if the Hound had taken Sansa to Riverrun if maybe the Tullys would have employed him. Joffs dog could have been Sansas wolf!!

What are your thoughts?

I be thinking ya got your Stark girls mixed up. Yep, you supplied a Sansa quote. I'm thinking what Sandor told Arya might apply.

A Storm of Swords - Arya IX     "Stupid blind little wolf bitch." His voice was rough and hard as an iron rasp. "Bugger Joffrey, bugger the queen, and bugger that twisted little gargoyle she calls a brother. I'm done with their city, done with their Kingsguard, done with Lannisters. What's a dog to do with lions, I ask you?" He reached for his waterskin, took a long pull. As he wiped his mouth, he offered the skin to Arya and said, "The river was the Trident, girl. The Trident, not the Blackwater. Make the map in your head, if you can. On the morrow we should reach the kingsroad. We'll make good time after that, straight up to the Twins. It's going to be me who hands you over to that mother of yours. Not the noble lightning lord or that flaming fraud of a priest, the monster." He grinned at the look on her face. "You think your outlaw friends are the only ones can smell a ransom? Dondarrion took my gold, so I took you. You're worth twice what they stole from me, I'd say. Maybe even more if I sold you back to the Lannisters like you fear, but I won't. Even a dog gets tired of being kicked. If this Young Wolf has the wits the gods gave a toad, he'll make me a lordling and beg me to enter his service. He needs me, though he may not know it yet. Maybe I'll even kill Gregor for him, he'd like that."      "He'll never take you," she spat back. "Not you."

Imagine how funny it would be if both Sansa and Arya arrive at Riverrun with the Hound, and Catelyn has already released the Kingslayer in hoping she will get her little girls back, just to realize that they escaped Kings Landing. Costing her son and King his most valuable hostage. 

5 hours ago, Legitimate_Bastard said:

What are your thoughts?

She would have had a chance to see cyborg sandor fight starscream for the decepticon matrix of leadership 

15 hours ago, Clegane'sPup said:

I be thinking ya got your Stark girls mixed up. Yep, you supplied a Sansa quote. I'm thinking what Sandor told Arya might apply.

A Storm of Swords - Arya IX     "Stupid blind little wolf bitch." His voice was rough and hard as an iron rasp. "Bugger Joffrey, bugger the queen, and bugger that twisted little gargoyle she calls a brother. I'm done with their city, done with their Kingsguard, done with Lannisters. What's a dog to do with lions, I ask you?" He reached for his waterskin, took a long pull. As he wiped his mouth, he offered the skin to Arya and said, "The river was the Trident, girl. The Trident, not the Blackwater. Make the map in your head, if you can. On the morrow we should reach the kingsroad. We'll make good time after that, straight up to the Twins. It's going to be me who hands you over to that mother of yours. Not the noble lightning lord or that flaming fraud of a priest, the monster." He grinned at the look on her face. "You think your outlaw friends are the only ones can smell a ransom? Dondarrion took my gold, so I took you. You're worth twice what they stole from me, I'd say. Maybe even more if I sold you back to the Lannisters like you fear, but I won't. Even a dog gets tired of being kicked. If this Young Wolf has the wits the gods gave a toad, he'll make me a lordling and beg me to enter his service. He needs me, though he may not know it yet. Maybe I'll even kill Gregor for him, he'd like that."      "He'll never take you," she spat back. "Not you."

Would Sandor not have wanted to take Sansa to the same place though? For the same reason.

51 minutes ago, Legitimate_Bastard said:

Would Sandor not have wanted to take Sansa to the same place though? For the same reason.

Later, possibly, when he had been convinced Sansa wasn't going to return his attentions and he tired of her. Sandor was in love with Sansa, but Arya was means to an end (at first). He needed to find a safe refuge to weather his Lannister desertion and apparently Essos wasn't on his list of his places to hole up (someplace where he might actually live unharassed for the most part).

His journey with Arya almost got them both killed. If you have that same scene at the inn but replace the capable Arya (who could see the Hound was drunk and needed help) with a less than capable Sansa, I think the Hound gets carried away to his brother. And I don't even want to write what I think would happen to Sansa afterwards. 

The rescue/escape wouldn't last more than a few days. Sansa can't live rough like Arya. She doesn't like to ride a stinky horse. She's really picky about what food she eats. She doesn't have "practical shoes". She would insist on staying in a nice inn or someone's castle, rather than wrapping herself in her cloak and sleeping on the ground, like Arya and Sandor did. In short, they'd have been caught and taken back to Cersei in short order.

Wow, lots of cynicism here.   I think @Clegane'sPup may have the right of this musing.   The Hound wanted to get as far away from Kings Landing as possible.   There was no safer place than the North at the time.    The point behind offering to take Sansa away was valor.   The Hound, crude and gruff as he was, had a knight's heart.   He aimed to save the damsel in distress.    Love may be taking it a bit far as I read it all, and this exchange during the Battle of the Blackwater is the culmination of all Sandor and Sansa's conversations.   They would have got out of Kings Landing and would have still likely been taken captive in the Riverlands.  Given his treatment of both sisters it's entirely possible The Hound would have taken a different approach to securing Sansa's safety.   The Hound was bold, as Joff's men go.  He wasn't stupid.    

On 11/16/2018 at 9:54 AM, Legitimate_Bastard said:

I dunna know.  I looked into the scenario and dialog in CoK Sansa VII.

Basically the fire got to Sandor. He went to Sansa's room.  Sandor said he was leaving and wanted the song Sansa had promised him.

A Clash of Kings - Sansa VII    "Why did you come here?"    "You promised me a song, little bird. Have you forgotten?"/

When Sansa asked where Sandor would go he says:

A Clash of Kings - Sansa VII    "Where will you go?"    "Away from here. Away from the fires. Go out the Iron Gate, I suppose. North somewhere, anywhere."/

Sandor didn't have a plan other than Sandor was leaving KL to go north somewhere, anywhere.

Then comes part of what fans base the beauty & beast love affair on.

A Clash of Kings - Sansa VII   "I could keep you safe," he rasped. "They're all afraid of me. No one would hurt you again, or I'd kill them." He yanked her closer, and for a moment she thought he meant to kiss her. He was too strong to fight. She closed her eyes, wanting it to be over, but nothing happened. "Still can't bear to look, can you?" she heard him say. He gave her arm a hard wrench, pulling her around and shoving her down onto the bed. "I'll have that song. Florian and Jonquil, you said." His dagger was out, poised at her throat. "Sing, little bird. Sing for your little life."

I don't know what would have happened if Sansa had gone with Sandor because that is not how martin wrote the story.

Maybe Sandor would've tried to take Sansa to WF or Riverrun.  I don't know.

Once Sansa started complaining about the hardships of life on the road would Sandor coddle her? I don't think so.

To get a look inside martin's Sandor Clegane, a person needs to read some of the SoS Arya chapters.

Sansa's disappearance would be noticed fairly quickly, and they would quickly find out that she was with Sandor, since they would have left together.  A massive search would be launched.  Given that Sandor is easily recognized, I would expect them to be captured quickly and returned to KL.  Sansa is too valuable to give up at this point.

All in all, she was probably wise to refuse his offer.  The road would have been dangerous, and the escape likely not successful in any event.

Archived