"various book deadlines"

Jussi

http://georgerrmartin.com/notablog/2018/11/15/wild-cards-comes-to-hulu/

I will be an executive producer on the show(s) as well, though my on-going exclusive deal with HBO and the various book deadlines will preclude me from having any sort of day-to-day involvement.  But with Andrew and Melinda on board (and possibly more Wild Carders as well), Hulu will a great team.

What are these? The Winds of Winter, A Dream of Spring and Fire & Blood 2?

On 11/16/2018 at 2:34 PM, King Aegon I Targaryen said:

Presumably. Maybe there might also be a new Dunk and Egg story somewhere aswell, but I'd hope he'd be putting his full attention on TWoW. 

Martin said in recent interview:

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2018/nov/10/game-of-thrones-george-rr-martin-the-winds-of-winter-interview

He confirmed that the sixth instalment was his next priority: “The Winds of Winter is next, then I’ll decide what comes after that – whether it’s to go on to A Dream of Spring, the last one, or whether I switch back into Fire and Blood II, do another Dunk and Egg story or two. But I’ll worry about that one thing at a time – that’s too far ahead.”

37 minutes ago, Ran said:

At yesterday's event, he seems to have decided right now that after TWoW he wants to dive right into ADoS.

I seem to recall that he has expressed some regrets about not diving right into Winds after he finished Dance. Although I could be misremembering... 

1 minute ago, kissdbyfire said:

I seem to recall that he has expressed some regrets about not diving right into Winds after he finished Dance. Although I could be misremembering... 

It rings a bell. May have been AFfC -> ADwD that he said it about, but definitely recall something along these lines.

1 hour ago, Ran said:

At yesterday's event, he seems to have decided right now that after TWoW he wants to dive right into ADoS.

I take this as good news.  To me it means he is really in universe and turning out chapters. 

As stated by kiss, GRRM said he wished he stayed with TWOW after Dance because he was really entrenched in the story, but he took a break, and then had a hard time getting back into TWOW.

I know someone knows of the exact quote(s).

1 hour ago, kissdbyfire said:

It was ADwD. He said he really had a ride back when he was finishing ADwD and should have continued.

If that's the same when he finishes TWoW he should skip promotional stuff and just dive right into the next one.

But if he wants - I won't complain if we get FaB II before that - from Aegon III to Daeron II.

On 11/16/2018 at 11:42 AM, Jussi said:

http://georgerrmartin.com/notablog/2018/11/15/wild-cards-comes-to-hulu/

What are these? The Winds of Winter, A Dream of Spring and Fire & Blood 2?

My impression has been that re: ASOIAF, there's no actual deadlines. Since GRRM was contractually obligated by his publisher to present n completed pages of ADOS by some specified date (I don't remember neither the number n nor the date), there's no further real deadlines (as in: show us the work, or else). Or am I wrong about it?

Maybe he was talking about Wild Cards?

2 hours ago, Ran said:

I picked up on that right away. No hemming about what other works need to be worked on, just TWOW and the ADOS.

30 minutes ago, Ran said:

George also said that F&B v2 would go through to the end of the Targaryens, so he hasn't changed his mind on that front. And if he sticks to that, it would have to be post ADoS.

If he were to start it before - for whatever reason - he should consider changing his mind on that one. Because I think I speak for all of us when I say that I don't want Gyldayn to spoil Dunk & Egg for us (and while we are all envious of you guys knowing stuff we don't - for me this doesn't extend to the Dunk & Egg era - this thing I want to be spoiler free).

I don't mind him for to not consider making the FaB thing a trilogy. That would be too much for the people looking forward to TWoW ;-).

He's already "spoiled" D&E in that he clearly laid out several of the major events Dunk and Egg would be involved in prospective stories. And no matter what, even if F&B v2 covers everything, it seems he'd still intend for the account of Summerhall to just be a messy blur of half-illegible text, because that seems to be the one event he really wants to keep for a story.

7 minutes ago, Ran said:

He's already "spoiled" D&E in that he clearly laid out several of the major events Dunk and Egg would be involved in prospective stories. And no matter what, even if F&B v2 covers everything, it seems he'd still intend for the account of Summerhall to just be a messy blur of half-illegible text, because that seems to be the one event he really wants to keep for a story.

For the abduction of Lyanna, in "The World..." we got deliciously informative "But that tale is too well-known to warrant repeating here" (I appreciate the blatant trolling of the reader B)). For Summerhall, we can get something like "But this is too sad to write about" for a change.

1 minute ago, Ferocious Veldt Roarer said:

For the abduction of Lyanna, in "The World..." we got deliciously informative "But that tale is too well-known to warrant repeating here" (I appreciate the blatant trolling of the reader B)). For Summerhall, we can get something like "But this is too sad to write about" for a change.

Yep. So that's not really an issue. 

36 minutes ago, Ran said:

I'd not consider those teasers, not spoilers. We got a broad setting and some name, but we really don't know anything about the Fourth Blackfyre Rebellion, the reign of Maekar, nor anything about key players during the reign of Aegon V.

If we got a book like FaB on this era, only stories of the overall importance of TSS would be - more or less - spoiler free. There would be little need to write a Dunk & Egg novella about, say, the wedding of Duncan and Jenny if we already got as detailed an account on that as we get on Jaehaerys and Alysanne's two weddings.

And I'd really like to get those events in Dunk's voice, not Gyldayn.

Besides, the idea of FaB II stretching from Aegon III to Daeron II could also serve as introductory material to existing and futre Dunk & Egg stories by telling the history of the entire Blackfyre Rebellion as well as fleshing out many of the royal and noble background characters.

If we know a lot of stuff about Maekar, Aerion, Aerys I, Rhaegel, his children, the Blackfyres, and the Lannisters, Starks, Arryns, Baratheons of the era, then the novellas would be more grounded in a broader setting.

But I think all of that would go away if we got Dunk & Egg after an FaB II going from Aegon III to Aerys II. It would have to be after Dunk & Egg or not at all. But Aegon III to Daeron II don't spoil anything, so this could go first.

I mean, we also finally got this FaB thing here - which I wanted for years, but which was said for years would be published (with the additional Jaehaerys material) only after the series was complete. But because it really doesn't spoil anything and there are people who would like to read that it could - and finally was - published now. This would work just as well - or even more - for the period up to Daeron II. There are such interesting events and mad characters to be seen there.

Archived