"various book deadlines"

Jussi

It is pretty obvious that FaB leaves us in the middle of an unfinished tale. We have not only the personal stories of Aegon III, Daenaera, Viserys, Larra, Alyn, Baela, Rhaena, etc. to continue - and those of the other ensemble characters (Cregan, Aly, Kermit Tully, Torrhen Manderly, Lyonel and Lady Sam, the Four Storms and their mother, etc.) - but also the plot lines he left dangling deliberately. Unwin Peake and his dear sadistic aunt, Alys Rivers and her young son, the fake Daerons, the three remaining dragons (I think Sheepstealer officially disappears from the story in the last chapter), etc.

This all indicates that the FaB II would continue to be written in the same breadth and depths as both the Regency material and Jaehaerys/Alysanne. And the Jaehaerys material mainly focused on him, Alysanne, Rhaena, and early on Rogar and Alyssa, too, but not on the many characters all through the Realm. The Regency material did - and thus an account on Aegon III would have to cover much more pages if the Regency level of detail is going to be maintained considering that there are many other characters like Alyn who have already been given a lot of depth.

That would imply another 200+ pages for Aegon III, 150-200 pages for Daeron I, 150-200 for Baelor I, perhaps 10-20 pages on Viserys II short reign (although the guy should be a main character throughout the book up to his death), 200+ pages on Aegon IV, and then another 200+ on Daeron II and the First Blackfyre Rebellion.

That would already scratch at a thousand pages, and I don't think that would be too broad a book. One could even call it a day after the First Blackfyre Rebellion, say.

This would also provide George with the opportunity to cover the long rule of the Old Man of the North in detail, the possible struggle about his succession, the Skagos Rebellion, etc. It would also give enough pages for a detailed coverage of Alyn Oakenfist's six voyages, a detailed character study of Elaena Targaryen and her three marriages and her children (she could be easily enough be the Rhaena of FaB II). Also, this could give the book the breadth to *really* build up the Blackfyre Rebellion by introducing and covering the men playing a great role in this war in the decades and years leading up to it.

12 hours ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

Judging by his latest blog post, it does seem that way. We can only hope...

Thanks for directing me to his recent post. I don't check Not a Blog much these days. I figure it will be posted here a second later anyway. It got too depressing reading about all his other works (= time spent not on WOW).  His prerogative.

What I really liked about this new post was his statement about ASOIAF, not just Winds.

Coming to a bookstore near you. 

11 hours ago, the Other Wolf said:

Thanks for directing me to his recent post. I don't check Not a Blog much these days. I figure it will be posted here a second later anyway. It got too depressing reading about all his other works (= time spent not on WOW).  His prerogative.

What I really liked about this new post was his statement about ASOIAF, not just Winds.

Coming to a bookstore near you. 

Again, I don't want to get my hopes up too much, I've got burned too many times, but GRRM being upbeat is a step in the right direction.

• 4 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

Another thing that gives me pause is that if GRRM really is delivering the finished book, surely an announcement would have come by now?

Yes.

Analysing the author's reported movements is a waste of time. When the book is complete, he will say so. Loudly and clearly.

12 minutes ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

Another thing that gives me pause is that if GRRM really is delivering the finished book, surely an announcement would have come by now?

I thought you were gonna say that instead of travelling to new York with a manuscript it would make more sense to send an email lol…

But more seriously. If he does finish the book then I doubt he will anounce anything until he has an idea of when the book is being published… like before s8? during? at the end? some time after? If the book is finished soon this is kind of a problem for the publisher to find out the best date

24 minutes ago, divica said:

I thought you were gonna say that instead of travelling to new York with a manuscript it would make more sense to send an email lol…

But more seriously. If he does finish the book then I doubt he will anounce anything until he has an idea of when the book is being published… like before s8? during? at the end? some time after? If the book is finished soon this is kind of a problem for the publisher to find out the best date

No.

GRRM has always announced the completion of every manuscript whenever it is finished. He did it with AFFC. He did it with ADWD. He has publicly said that TWOW will be no different.

In addition, his publishers will publish the book as soon as possible, regardless of any other considerations. TWOW is the most anticipated book in the SF/F genre and probably in publishing generally. 'The best date' is the first available date.

ETA - you don't need to be clever about this, folks: there are and will be no runes to read, no secrets to divine, no signs to interpret. When the book is finished you will know - you won't be able to miss it. The news will be clear, unambiguous and immediately accessible. Trust that this is so.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived