WSJ: GRRM writes seven days a week, six during football season

Daendrew

WSJ: ‘A Game of Thrones’ Author George R.R. Martin Assures Fans: Writing Is Coming

https://www.wsj.com/articles/a-game-of-thrones-author-george-r-r-martin-assures-fans-writing-is-coming-1542390476?mod=hp_lead_pos10The author says he’s hard at work on ‘The Winds of Winter,’ the long-awaited sixth installment in the fantasy series that spawned HBO’s hugely popular ‘Game of Thrones.’ He’s offering a series prequel, out this month, in the meantime. ‘A Game of Thrones’ author George R.R. Martin, who had returned to Sante Fe from his mountain hideaway when this photo was taken. ‘A Game of Thrones’ author George R.R. Martin, who had returned to Sante Fe from his mountain hideaway when this photo was taken. 

22 hours ago, Daendrew said:

Edited 21 hours ago by Ran
Do not repost full articles. Link to them and provide short excerpts.

I clicked the link  @Daendrew  provided.

Read the header. Then ----- to read the full story subscribe or sign in.

So I ventured over to Reddit and read the hype.

George R.R. Martin is in hiding. He’s talking to me from a remote mountain hideaway whose location he refuses to disclose. It’s a cabin he visits when he wants to hunker down to finish a book—and he’s hard at work on “The Winds of Winter,” the long-awaited sixth installment in “A Song of Ice and Fire,” the fantasy series that spawned HBO’s hugely popular “Game of Thrones.”

Has martin ever spoken of his hidey hole before? :blink: I don't know why this struck me funny bone but it did.

Holy moley, thought I would try again -- clicked the frekking link in the opening post and walla --- picture and everything.  Magic.  Please dunna make me make an update of my journey.

Edit: Har! Back to the subscribe or sign in. Magic.

Edit: Sum body is more bored than me. Else me puter has a problem.

Back to my question.

Has martin ever spoken about his hidey hole before? Or did Alexandra Wolfe manage to get a scoop?

George R.R. Martin is in hiding. He’s talking to me from a remote mountain hideaway whose location he refuses to disclose. It’s a cabin he visits when he wants to hunker down to finish a book—and he’s hard at work on “The Winds of Winter,” the long-awaited sixth installment in “A Song of Ice and Fire,” the fantasy series that spawned HBO’s hugely popular “Game of Thrones.”

The article is available in the Saturday, November 17 print edition of the Wall Street Journal.  If you are in America, it is available at your local library or store that sells newspapers.  Elsewhere, not sure.   Not too much newsworthy, except that he seems intent on completing it.  He is still talking about two more books, and has no plans to change the ending due to the TV show.  That's all I can recall for now.  Keeping fingers crossed. 

Main takeaway?

He won’t go so far as to relate the events in his books to today’s politics, but he hopes that Westeros offers us lessons, including the ways that power can corrupt. “Maybe some kid who is reading it now…will be a president or senator, and the lessons of Westeros will have been incorporated into his worldview and affect some decision he makes 20 or 30 years from now.” Then he pauses to think. “It depends on who he models himself on, Jon Snow or a new Joffrey,” citing a noble hero and a sadistic boy king. “We don’t need anyone modeling themselves after Joffrey.”

:D

On 11/16/2018 at 3:29 PM, Daendrew said:

WSJ: ‘A Game of Thrones’ Author George R.R. Martin Assures Fans: Writing Is Coming

https://www.wsj.com/articles/a-game-of-thrones-author-george-r-r-martin-assures-fans-writing-is-coming-1542390476?mod=hp_lead_pos10The author says he’s hard at work on ‘The Winds of Winter,’ the long-awaited sixth installment in the fantasy series that spawned HBO’s hugely popular ‘Game of Thrones.’ He’s offering a series prequel, out this month, in the meantime. ‘A Game of Thrones’ author George R.R. Martin, who had returned to Sante Fe from his mountain hideaway when this photo was taken. ‘A Game of Thrones’ author George R.R. Martin, who had returned to Sante Fe from his mountain hideaway when this photo was taken. 

I also think this is a very telling takeaway in that article :

• He won’t go so far as to relate the events in his books to today’s politics, but he hopes that Westeros offers us lessons, including the ways that power can corrupt. “Maybe some kid who is reading it now…will be a president or senator, and the lessons of Westeros will have been incorporated into his worldview and affect some decision he makes 20 or 30 years from now.” Then he pauses to think. “It depends on who he models himself on, Jon Snow or a new Joffrey,” citing a noble hero and a sadistic boy king. “We don’t need anyone modeling themselves after Joffrey.”

From a different interview a few weeks ago:

• Martin argued in a video for T: The New York Times Style Magazine that the US president shares a number of traits with the fictional character, who was also a key component of the HBO series based on Martin’s book series until he was unceremoniously poisoned to death by his new grandmother-in-law. https://qz.com/quartzy/1426012/game-of-thrones-george-r-r-martin-says-trump-is-a-total-joffrey/

GRRM: They have the same level of emotional maturity. And Joffrey likes to remind everyone that he’s king. And he thinks that gives him the ability to do anything. And we’re not an absolute monarchy, like Westeros is. We’re a constitutional republic. And yet, Trump doesn’t seem to know what that means. He thinks the presidency gives him the power to do anything. And so, yeah, Joffrey is Trump.

GRRM often makes mention of Jon in the manner he mentioned above:

• The hardest chapters for me to write are the ones about Bran, just because he is the character most involved in magic, the youngest child and he is so seriously crippled--I have to write in that sense of powerlessness and it has always to convince. Sansa was the least sympathetic of the Starks in the first book; she has become more sympathetic, partly because she comes to accept responsibility for her part in her father's death. Jon Snow is the truest character--I like his sense of realism and the way he copes with his bastardy.

Which makes me remember what GRRM said about himself in Q&A session. Funny how in the story Jon emulates these words so closely.

• I'm not an "American First" (and maybe because I read science fiction) I'm a "Terran First". I'm a human being first. And I have this sympathy for other human beings no matter what side of the giant ice wall they happen to be born on. http://dndjourneyofthefifthedition.podbean.com/e/tuscon-43-an-hour-with-george-r-r-martin/
  • A Dance with Dragons - Jon VIII

Septon Cellador made the sign of the star. Othell Yarwyck grunted. Bowen Marsh said, "Some might call this treason. These are wildlings. Savages, raiders, rapers, more beast than man."

"Tormund is none of those things," said Jon, "no more than Mance Rayder. But even if every word you said was true, they are still men, Bowen. Living men, human as you and me. Winter is coming, my lords, and when it does, we living men will need to stand together against the dead."

• A Dance with Dragons - Jon XI

"I know what I swore." Jon said the words. "I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the realms of men. Were those the same words you said when you took your vows?"

"They were. As the lord commander knows."

"Are you certain that I have not forgotten some? The ones about the king and his laws, and how we must defend every foot of his land and cling to each ruined castle? How does that part go?" Jon waited for an answer. None came. "I am the shield that guards the realms of men. Those are the words. So tell me, my lord—what are these wildlings, if not men?"

Anyway, this interview is interesting. If it takes squirreling away in a cabin, so be it. A good reminder on why we root so hard for some of these fictitious characters to succeed.

15 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

Main takeaway?

He won’t go so far as to relate the events in his books to today’s politics, but he hopes that Westeros offers us lessons, including the ways that power can corrupt. “Maybe some kid who is reading it now…will be a president or senator, and the lessons of Westeros will have been incorporated into his worldview and affect some decision he makes 20 or 30 years from now.” Then he pauses to think. “It depends on who he models himself on, Jon Snow or a new Joffrey,” citing a noble hero and a sadistic boy king. “We don’t need anyone modeling themselves after Joffrey.”

:D

This is the quote that caught my attention as well in the WSJ article. GRRM is comparing Jon to the heroic character that he hopes children today who aspire to be future leaders will model themselves on. This should be quoted in every Jon is a traitor or Jon is a bad leader thread. 

14 minutes ago, teej6 said:

This is the quote that caught my attention as well in the WSJ article. GRRM is comparing Jon to the heroic character that he hopes children today who aspire to be future leaders will model themselves on. This should be quoted in every Jon is a traitor or Jon is a bad leader thread. 

And it will still fall in deaf ears. 

I find this hard to believe

not that i don't think he's working hard to bring us Winds

just there's so much to write and high expectations for the book

people are hoping he releases soon after the final season of GoT ends, i'm not that optimistic , i don't think he'll finish it until 2020

hoped for a long time that he'd split the book into two volumes. TWoW is supposed to be a huge book & i don't want him taking out chapters for editors 

On 11/16/2018 at 12:29 PM, Daendrew said:

Remember a few years ago when he canceled his remaining con appearances so he could finish winds before season 6 of the thing we shall not mention gave up the secret of Lord Snow's parentage? Yeah. Good Times. He will finish when and If he does. Hype like this is only hype. 

Archived