New Fire and Blood excerpt in Spanish with a travel to the Sunset Sea!

Javi Marcos

Two big ships left Oldtown to the west, looking for a new continente. One returned three years later, with most of the sailers suffering special circumstances. The other...it appeared in a weird place. Also, new info about our dear Corlys.

It's in Spanish provided by Random House Spain https://lossietereinos.com/nuevo-fragmento-exclusivo-fuego-sangre/

5 minutes ago, Ckram said:

This sole excerpt has more to back up a "Quaithe = Alys Hill" theory than all of those "Quaithe = Shiera Seastar" ever had.

"To reach the west, you must go east (just watch out for the kraken)"

4 minutes ago, The Dragon Demands said:

For the last time, there was NO kraken.  Just a big wave.

That is up for debate. The Hightower fellow didn't see a kraken, but his sailors claim they did.

I thought Euron would conjure up a storm to crush the Redwynes, but perhaps it will be krakens after all. If Lodos promised them, Euron might finally deliver on that one ;-).

12 minutes ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

It would be pretty disappointing if there was nothing between Westeros and Ashai except a vast ocean. Another continent would be so much more satisfying. So I guess I hope the battered ship in Ashaii was not the one from this expedition.

Who's to say that she didn't land on a continent, Lady Elissa logged all she could there and then moved on further.  Maybe Asshai holds whole volumes on her great voyage and knowledge in some scary vault somewhere that would reveal many secrets of the world.

9 minutes ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

It would be pretty disappointing if there was nothing between Westeros and Ashai except a vast ocean. Another continent would be so much more satisfying. So I guess I hope the battered ship in Ashaii was not the one from this expedition.

That's not mutually exclusive. The expedition of Lady Farman goes west in the late 50s while Corlys Velaryon - who later thought he saw her ship at Asshai - was only a small boy. Corlys own voyage to Asshai took place decades later, which means the Sun Chaser could navigated around whatever continents and islands lie between the Sunset Sea and the Saffron Straits/Ulthos/the Shadowlands.

If there were no other lands and continents in-between, Lady Farman could have come back from the east just a couple of years later...

13 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

That's not mutually exclusive. The expedition of Lady Farman goes west in the late 50s while Corlys Velaryon - who later thought he saw her ship at Asshai - was only a small boy. Corlys own voyage to Asshai took place decades later, which means the Sun Chaser could navigated around whatever continents and islands lie between the Sunset Sea and the Saffron Straits/Ulthos/the Shadowlands.

If there were no other lands and continents in-between, Lady Farman could have come back from the east just a couple of years later...

Doesn't really sound convincing. That would be like Columbus reaching the Americas and then just keeping on going into the Pacific Ocean. Just doesn't sound feasible to go from not even knowing about three small islands a few weeks sail into the Sunset Sea, to heading on straight past an America sized continent to see what's in the Pacific.

I think that if there was a major continent in the Sunset Sea, she would have mapped as much of it as possible with her provisions and by now battered ship, and headed back to report the amazing discovery. Follow up voyages could then expand that discovery.

Magellan followed 30 years after Columbus. Columbus himself returned three times to America without mapping all of it. Never mind heading further.

EDIT

And by the way, the small islands having wild boars pretty much confirms that other humans had discovered it before. Else how did the boars get there?

25 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

And keep in mind that there might be grand civilizations across the Sunset Sea, with maps of their waters and the like. The ocean between eastern Essos and those unknown lands doesn't have to be as large as the Pacific - there could be more lands and islands and continents there, more than enough opportunity to take on supplies.

If something like that was the case then Lady Farman would have had no need to hasten her journey. She wants to explore the world, and not just find a short cut to India.

By contrast, discovering an America would be vastly greater, for Lady Farman. Just reaching it with her battered ship would be extraordinary.

Lastly, I think you misread if you think that her ship had recently arrived in Ashaii when Corlys Velaryon saw it. That would make almost no sense. Rather, it would have been some kind of relic, decades old, kept around for some reason - probably because no one in Ashaii cared much about it.

Anyway, the distance from Westeros to Ashaii over the Sunset sea is at least the breadth of the Atlantic Ocean, plus the breadth of America, plus the breadth of the Pacific Ocean. For a civilization that had never even reached the Canary Islands, going all the way past America to reach Japan just sounds unlikely. Unless there was no America, and the dead ship just got carried across the vast ocean by the currents, eventually washing up on the other side, years later.

This is an  Unsolved Mysteries kind of situation, so we'll never know. But if we want to talk possibilities, it would be incredibly improbable that she succeeded, and indeed it's not even all that likely that the ship Corlys saw was hers. It's something he claimed, and no doubt he believed, but it appears it was just a belief, and given his being an explorer at heart it's no great surprise if it was more of a matter of his heart than his intellect.

Even if it _were_ her ship, who is to say she or any in her crew made it to Asshai through a westward route? Imagine if she and her crew all died on that ship, and it floated on currents carrying it back east. Maybe a passing pirate decided to take it for his own, crewing it with some of his men, and it followed a life of brigandage. Or a convoy of merchants, the same, and it spent the rest of its career taking the trader's route in the Jade Circle. Or she failed, turned back, and decided that rather than admit her failure she'd go and try and find an eastward route to get back to Westeros, but it all ended at Asshai. Or they all died, and the ship floated west, and it found a way across on strange currents until men of the Jade Sea took it over and sailed it for awhile as their own, on their own business? Or, or, or. So many other possibilities.

Again, this is an Unsolved Mystery. But I think one can admit it's highly improbable that a beaten-up old Braavosi galley, in a world with hundreds of them, just happened to be a particular ship _and_ that it was also a ship that managed to feat of crossing the Sunset Sea and discovering what was on the other side.

Improbable is, of course, not impossible. I'm frankly not even sure George "knows" what the story is. "With Morning Comes Mistfall" is very instructive in this regard.

17 minutes ago, Ran said:

This is an  Unsolved Mysteries kind of situation, so we'll never know. But if we want to talk possibilities, it would be incredibly improbable that she succeeded, and indeed it's not even all that likely that the ship Corlys saw was hers. It's something he claimed, and no doubt he believed, but it appears it was just a belief, and given his being an explorer at heart it's no great surprise if it was more of a matter of his heart than his intellect.

Even if it _were_ her ship, who is to say she or any in her crew made it to Asshai through a westward route? Imagine if she and her crew all died on that ship, and it floated on currents carrying it back east. Maybe a passing pirate decided to take it for his own, crewing it with some of his men, and it followed a life of brigandage. Or a convoy of merchants, the same, and it spent the rest of its career taking the trader's route in the Jade Circle. Or she failed, turned back, and decided that rather than admit her failure she'd go and try and find an eastward route to get back to Westeros, but it all ended at Asshai. Or they all died, and the ship floated west, and it found a way across on strange currents until men of the Jade Sea took it over and sailed it for awhile as their own, on their own business? Or, or, or. So many other possibilities.

Again, this is an Unsolved Mystery. But I think one can admit it's highly improbable that a beaten-up old Braavosi galley, in a world with hundreds of them, just happened to be a particular ship _and_ that it was also a ship that managed to feat of crossing the Sunset Sea and discovering what was on the other side.

Improbable is, of course, not impossible. I'm frankly not even sure George "knows" what the story is. "With Morning Comes Mistfall" is very instructive in this regard.

I find oceanic exploration in a fantasy setting incredibly exciting. The mystery of voyaging to undiscovered lands, not knowing what the next horizon will reveal, the drama of the isolation in the vast ocean, the adventure and survivalist aspect of it, it all just combines for a hell of a thrill. Not to mention that in a fantasy setting there really can be dragons, krakens, ancient sorcerors and non-human races waiting for you on the next bit of land you sight.

Monarchies of god did this reasonably well, Feist even had some of it in the search for Novindus. And I recall some other similar books the names of which escape me now.

But in the Ice and Fire setting, ancient mysteries like the oily stones around the world, Deep Ones, and evidence of ancient magical bio engineering etc, combines with a world map barely 25% revealed to offer delicious opportunities for maritime exploration and adventure.

Sadly, I reckon this tiny morsel is probably the extent of what we will ever enjoy from that perspective.

Archived