Is it possible to leave the Warrior Sons?

norwaywolf123

In medieval Europe there was cases of boys leaving monasteries after taking the monk oath. This could be due to them being young, unprepared for monk life(mentally, emotionally) or that some lord needed an heir that was related to him.

Is it possible that members of the Warrior Sons could leave for any of the reasons above or other reasons?

3 hours ago, King Aegon I Targaryen said:

To join the Warrior's Sons you take a vow and give up your lands and gold. Since that seems very similar to the vow of the Kingsguard and Nights Watch I'm guessing you cant leave. 

The Night's Watch and the realm it serves do not accept that deserters. Once you take the Night's Watch vows it is for life. The fate of Gared who is executed by Eddard Stark is testaments to this. Allthough i think that as the books progress the Night's Watch oath will not be as stringent.

As far as i know there as not been any cases of people wanting or attempting to leave the Kingsguard

31 minutes ago, norwaywolf123 said:

The Night's Watch and the realm it serves do not accept that deserters. Once you take the Night's Watch vows it is for life. The fate of Gared who is executed by Eddard Stark is testaments to this. Allthough i think that as the books progress the Night's Watch oath will not be as stringent.

As far as i know there as not been any cases of people wanting or attempting to leave the Kingsguard

The Nights Watch vow is still there, its just that some people take it more seriously then others. Its the same with the Kingsguard vows. 

I'm not sure if there has ever been a case of someone wanting to leave the Kingsguard, but regardless its still a life vow. 

Night Watch vows are currently enforced across Westeros - but NOT in Essos.

There have been case/s of people leaving Kingsguard for Night Watch, or the option considered. Ser Lucamore the Lusty certainly did go to Wall. Ser Gyles Belgrave was offered Wall, but chose death instead. And Eddard urged Wall for Jaime.

We have the case/s of whether Dorne enforces Kingsguard vows. Orivel the Open-handed is notoriously a coward. And an account of fall of Daeron, when one of the Kingsguard yielded. What were Dornish going to do with their prisoner? Return him to Kingsguard to face penalty for cowardice? They were not going to trust him, sure, but asylum was still an option.

When Warrior´s Sons were dissolved by Maegor, the members already held captive mostly got a choice between death and Wall. A quarter chose death. But Ser Morgan Hightower was pardoned. What did the pardon mean? Ser Morgan was soon assasinated as a traitor by his ex-brethren. In the meantime, was he entitled to marry, which he had renounced in his vows?

How about the Warrior´s Sons who were given a year to yield by Maegor? What were the terms offered? Did yielding meant Wall, or did Maegor allow them to marry and return to secular life?

When an acolyte of noble birth takes his vows and dons his chain, he puts aside his House name.[17] He swears sacred vows, promising to hold no lands or lordships,[26] and to be celibate.[27]

https://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Maesters#Maester.27s_vows

He was summoned to court for the Great Councilof 233 AC, where some wanted to offer him the crown. Aemon quietly refused, however, ceding rule to his younger brother, Aegon V.[8] Rhaelle, Aegon's young daughter, referred to Aemon as "Uncle Maester".[9 Aemon then chose to go to the Wall to take the vows of the Night's Watch for fear that he may be used in a plot to usurp his brother. 

https://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Aemon_Targaryen_(son_of_Maekar_I)#History

That Aemon feared that he may be used in a plot against his brother seems to be to suggest that the Maester's vows are less final than the Night's Watch vows.

ADwD Epilogue...

Kevan could make use of that precedent. I could put Lancel in a white cloak, he reflected. There is more honor in that then he will ever find in the Warrior's Sons.

Kevan seems to think he could move Lancel from WS to KG. Precedent he thinks about is Joffrey dismissing Barristan, despite that

In the past, the Kingsguard had served for life,

As for my view, the Warrior's Sons serve Faith of the Seven, which actually has religious head. One might imagine that High Septon could absolve them from their vows.

Archived