I think I need volunteers to discuss this Top Secret Theory and determine if I should release it publicly

The Map Guy

20 hours ago, Daendrew said:

Coming from experience, if you find something that is too big and would ruin the series for people, then tell no one. 

If he has secret inside information, then yes.  If he is just discussing the evidence of the books, then it is just a theory.   It cannot contain spoilers.  It is no sin for a theory to be right.  And I think that (whether it is right or not) a lot of people will disagree with it.

Maybe, some day, when the series is done, many people will read the entire series one volume after the other, without pausing to discuss theories on the internet.   Maybe that will be, in many ways, a better reading experience than the one we have had.  But if we are going to discuss our theories at all, there is no point in censoring ourselves.

Please just tell us your theory. It's not cannon until George himself says/writes it. Even those of us who haven't posted thousands of times for 8 years  have a handle of George's influences which hint at his creative direction.

Besides, the real story is in the telling. And for some of us, the identity or origin or AA isn't as central as you might think. I'm more invested in the personal journey of the characters. 

If you are intent on forming a panel to consider your theory, I think you should design a fairer way of selecting people. A set of questions could be enough to form an opinion of that persons current understanding of the series.

14 hours ago, Trefayne said:

No offence, but do you think it's fair to set criteria for a committee you yourself don't qualify for, but wish to chair?

He could always convene the Panel, present the theory, and then recuse himself from a vote, and agree to abide by the Panel's decision no matter what. :-)

So my biggest concern about the secret theory is not what happens to the in-book ASOIAF fans or the HBO fans. There will still be a shock, and they will recover from it...like I have. It took me about 24 hours to realize that it was a genius move by GRRM.

But during this 24 hours of reflection, I feel there may be two, three or four groups that may be offended by this secret message...groups that do not have to be fans of GRRM's work. I am more concerned about the disruption they may potentially cause to GRRM. Disruptions that may delay the books even more...quite possibly tarnish his legacy.

I want this committee of trusted ASOIAF elders to review if my concerns are valid. If my concerns are truly valid, for the sake of the realm, we will release the theory at a time we feel is safe. We may never reveal it.

I feel like forming this committee is the right thing to do. I don't want to blindly post it, and it ruins everything ASOIAF in the future.

As of now, I still don't have a single eligible member in this committee. I will raise the eligibility to 2012 profiles or older (with a significant content count) in about 40 minutes from now. I will wait another 24 hours for candidates.

4 minutes ago, The Map Guy said:

So my biggest concern about the secret theory is not what happens to the in-book ASOIAF fans or the HBO fans. There will still be a shock, and they will recover from it...like I have. It took me about 24 hours to realize that it was a genius move by GRRM.

But during this 24 hours of reflection, I feel there may be two, three or four groups that may be offended by this secret message...groups that do not have to be fans of GRRM's work. I am more concerned about the disruption they may potentially cause to GRRM. Disruptions that may delay the books even more...quite possibly tarnish his legacy.

I want this committee of trusted ASOIAF elders to review if my concerns are valid. If my concerns are truly valid, for the sake of the realm, we will release the theory at a time we feel is safe. We may never reveal it.

I feel like forming this committee is the right thing to do. I don't want to blindly post it, and it ruins everything ASOIAF in the future.

As of now, I still don't have a single eligible member in this committee. I will raise the eligibility to 2012 profiles or older (with a significant content count) in about 40 minutes from now. I will wait another 24 hours for candidates.

I can't imagine that that any theory could have an impact of the magnitude you are anticipating.  Having said that, it looks like people aren't scrambling to join your committee.  Have you considered extending invitations to posters on this forum that you feel would meet your criteria?

5 minutes ago, White Ravens said:

I can't imagine that that any theory could have an impact of the magnitude you are anticipating.  Having said that, it looks like people aren't scrambling to join your committee.  Have you considered extending invitations to posters on this forum that you feel would meet your criteria?

I cannot be bias or it will affect the integrity of the committee. Profile age with a minimum +1,000 content contribution. I am not trying to make friends. I am hoping someone DESERVING to be on this committee tell me I should not be concerned about posting the theory.

I am now accepting members with profile age from 2012, with at least 1,000 content contribution. Please private message me if you are interested in this committee. I will make a decision after 24 hours. If I still don't have enough, I will bump the age to 2013 tomorrow, with the original candidates locked in.

Good night.

Is this thread in some kind of twilight zone?

I can’t figure out if A: it is one of those humorous threads where everyone just pretends to be serious,

or B: whether the original poster is serious and everyone else is just humoring him, or 

C: People here have drunk the Kool Aid and there really is some kind of Panel being convened.

I find the whole thing oddly troubling.

12 minutes ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

I can’t figure out if A: it is one of those humorous threads where everyone just pretends to be serious,

or B: whether the original poster is serious and everyone else is just humoring him, or 

C: People here have drunk the Kool Aid and there really is some kind of Panel being convened.

B

11 minutes ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

8 minutes ago, Trefayne said:

The only thing I find troubling is that anyone thinks that this is important enough to go through all if this trouble.

I don’t think this thread is such an issue. @The Map Guy has some ideas that are, IMO, a bit outlandish and unsupported, but he does his homework, he has a sense of humour, and he is polite and nice.

In all honesty, I’ve seen far, far worse, like all the spiteful and trollish hate threads. 

24 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

I don’t think this thread is such an issue. @The Map Guy has some ideas that are, IMO, a bit outlandish and unsupported, but he does his homework, he has a sense of humour, and he is polite and nice.

In all honesty, I’ve seen far, far worse, like all the spiteful and trollish hate threads. 

I'm not damning his hobby. Hobbies are meant to be enjoyed and a certain amount of ebullience is to be expected (get me going on making, maintaining and repairing medieval armor and you'll never get me to shut up), but this isn't the smoking gun in the Mueller investigation. It's just a bit of popular fiction. If the clues are there to be found, it's because the author put them there to be found and it is no crime to reveal them. I just find all of this handwringing over the subject to be a little too OTT.

45 minutes ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

it is one of those humorous threads where everyone just pretends to be serious,

Pretty sure it's this. A parody of the process some people use before deciding whether to post. And some lampooning of the serious tone some people have toward their own theories. As long as it's not directed toward other specific participants, it seems harmless. The OP seems to be poking fun at himself more than anyone, as a couple of his own threads are referenced in the OP.

Answer ”B” would be a little harsh... Let’s just say, The Map Guy doesn’t seem to suffer from an inferiority complex... quite on the contrary. 

One serious advice: It is possible to get carried away by one’s thoughts, and then find confirmation for a theory in everything. If we had a believer in numerology here, I’m sure he could easily prove - by indisputable, “logical”, mathematical operations, that Hodor is Azor Ahai (if this is your secret revelation, too, I’m sorry for spoiling it - but remember: I’m GRRM, as I told you in this other thread: :D

Wow! Here I was thihking by historically he meant some character from the history of Westeros...

Since he says three-four exteenal groups... My bet would be three major Abrahamic religions and Hindus.

Again, my bet; AA is Jesus  or Krishna or Horus or some other god or hero or prophets who, for some reason people believe to share the same mythological and astrological details.

12 hours ago, The Map Guy said:

Then keep it for yourself. Problem - solved. It isn't probably that good anyway.

(Geez, I've written the most brilliant theory in the history of Westeros.org, and I didn't make one-tenth of the fuss you're making. I just up and posted it for the world to see, and everyone's so much richer thanks to me).

Archived