I think I need volunteers to discuss this Top Secret Theory and determine if I should release it publicly

The Map Guy

11 hours ago, StarkofWinterfell said:

I agree. Lot of grandstanding here from the OP who as a new member of the community, thinks he has stumbled upon something and wants to keep it secret so he can "take credit." or some other ill-conceived notion. Don't understand this dog-and-pony show to select people to "reveal it to" which if they're not signing an legally-binding NDA can just as easily post it themselves.

As a discussion board, it makes more sense to make a thread and have people weigh the merits of the theory.

I agree as well.  I am not an overly skeptical person but, upon reading the OP, my first thought was that this seems like a somewhat novel attempt to lend legitimacy to a theory through "recruiting" longtime board members to support/discuss/reveal it.  This isn't necessary.  Just post the theory.  If it's mind-blowingly brilliant then everyone will see that.  If it is, as I suspect it will be, based on interpreting a bunch of stuff in very specific ways in order to "prove" the theory then it will be received just like, literally, the thousands of other theories that have been posted and discussed here over the years.

The committee has been form. We are still working on technical stuff before we begin.

Like I said, one of the reasons why I don't want to go public with this secret message is because one of the groups that may get offended has the potential to make GRRM's life miserable for the rest of his life and career. So this is one of the things this committee will evaluate.

In regards if this secret message/theory holds water, like I said, I confirmed it by linking Hyrkoon the Hero, Yin Tar, Neferion and Eldric the Shadowchaser historically.

On ‎11‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 6:05 AM, Corvo the Crow said:

Wow! Here I was thihking by historically he meant some character from the history of Westeros...

Since he says three-four exteenal groups... My bet would be three major Abrahamic religions and Hindus.

Again, my bet; AA is Jesus  or Krishna or Horus or some other god or hero or prophets who, for some reason people believe to share the same mythological and astrological details.

The only way all of them could get bent out of shape is if AA was the spawn of the prophet Muhammad and Barbra Streisand.

45 minutes ago, The Map Guy said:

The committee has been form. We are still working on technical stuff before we begin.

Like I said, one of the reasons why I don't want to go public with this secret message is because one of the groups that may get offended has the potential to make GRRM's life miserable for the rest of his life and career. So this is one of the things this committee will evaluate.

In regards if this secret message/theory holds water, like I said, I confirmed it by linking Hyrkoon the Hero, Yin Tar, Neferion and Eldric the Shadowchaser historically.

I highly doubt that if this was something so integral to the story that GRRM wants to tell that he'd intentionally throw his life and career away by revealing it in a yet-to-be released book, but it is not groundbreaking to say that Hyrkoon the Hero, Yin Tar, Neferion, Azor Ahai, and Eldric Shadowchaser are the same person either.

I would hope you'd have done your due diligence and make sure you're not taking credit for anyone else's theories though and at least give credit where it's due.

Just some other potentials:

2 hours ago, The Map Guy said:

Thanks for the research. But i noticed how some of them didn't mention Yin Tar or Neferion. For my "confirmation points", I needed all the eggs in the basket, and they are all in there.

It was a cursory search of people who have brought up the subject in the past, out of dozens of other potential threads. If I wanted, I could have listed out each one.

5 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

Come on people! Just admit you’re all sour because you’re not in the #Theoryguard! :smug:

Man I really love that name. Thanks OtherFromAnotherMother.

I gotta draft that Theoryguard oath since its such an awesome name.....

"The Internet gathers, and now my guard begins..."

The Theoryguard Oath

"The Internet gathers, and now my guard begins. It shall not end until our vote. Until then we, the seven, shall not reveal the secrets of the Theoryguard to any soul, whether flesh or digital ... for the Internet is dark and full of terrible trolls. For the Roar of House Lannister, for the Winter of House Stark, for the Fire of House Targaryen, for the Blood of the Prince that was Promised, and for the Dark Secret of House Martin ... we swear it by earth and water, we swear it by bronze and iron, we swear it by keyboard and mouse, we swear it by Ice and Fire."

Thanks again OtherFromAnotherMother!

22 hours ago, StarkofWinterfell said:

I agree. Lot of grandstanding here from the OP who as a new member of the community, thinks he has stumbled upon something and wants to keep it secret so he can "take credit." or some other ill-conceived notion. Don't understand this dog-and-pony show to select people to "reveal it to" which if they're not signing an legally-binding NDA can just as easily post it themselves.

As a discussion board, it makes more sense to make a thread and have people weigh the merits of the theory.

I don't know how to explain this succinctly, and previous attempts have failed on other boards, but I'll give it another shot.

Martin demonstrates through ASOIAF that he has a great respect for literary puzzles that we like to call mysteries, prophecies, and foreshadowing. They are a metatextual game between the author and reader, and the game comes with some rules. One of those rules is that the author must place sufficient clues in the text that the reader aught to have a reasonable chance to solve the mystery/prophecy/future by paying very close attention. The reason it is important that the author places sufficient clues is because otherwise the game would not be fair for the reader. We cannot solve a mystery that hasn't been properly seeded.

Now imagine that Martin, as a career storyteller and writer, has a great understanding, love, and respect for this kind of game. He knows that he needs to properly seed the clues to his mysteries, otherwise the readers will feel cheated when the answers come out of nowhere.

Because the answers to mysteries are, in fact, well seeded and integrated into the story in meaningful, satisfyingly metaphoric ways, when the reader discovers a correct answer to a mystery, the books have a way of outing the accuracy of the answer. Pieces that didn't make sense before suddenly begin to snap together in very satisfying ways that resonate with the story on multiple dimensions of analysis. It rings with the overarching themes of the story, the internal conflicts of the characters involved, the premises of the story and setting, and it utilizes literary tricks that Martin has used before in other places.

Since those tricks are used in other places, it allows us to use the text to define the text, which is perhaps the golden rule of engaging with any mystery. Use the text to define the text. It's a dictionary unto itself. For example, when Ned lies to the dying Robert Baratheon that he will protect his children, meaning his bastard children, it demonstrates to the reader that that kind of lie is fair play in the metagame that is ASOIAF mysteries. Martin uses that trick against us the same way Ned uses it against Robert, and our job is to remember that as we analyze the text for clues. 

While I understand why the fans respond with skepticism when somebody comes along and expresses absolute certainty that they have solved a mystery, I think it is a mistake. Considering Martin's diligence regarding fair play and the resulting "the truth will out" phenomenon, when somebody says they have solved something with absolute certainty I tend to believe them. It is very rare that people express certainty about any remotely complex or long standing mystery. I have personally found myself in the position the OP is describing, which is a struggle to find people I can trust, who will actually comprehend what I need to set before them, and who have the best wishes for the fans, the author and the integrity of his work at heart.

21 minutes ago, The Mother of The Others said:

So you haven't read any of this person's other theories.   :lmao:

No I haven't. I'm not vouching for the OP. I'm only saying that in this environment the appropriate response to certainty is not skepticism because it serves no purpose but to protect our egos. Genuine certainty is quite rare, and the attention seekers are easy to spot, more often than not. I'm not always successful at doing so, but I try my best to leave my ego at home before I embark on the unforgiving journey that is ASOIAF mystery.

Though I'd prefer to puzzle at AA myself for at least a couple more years, and I'd prefer to have it revealed to me by Martin than another reader, I've offered my help to the OP if it's needed. In the worst case scenario he will be absolutely right and I will have AA spoiled for me, but I may have helped millions of other fans to remain unsullied by voting for silence if I thought silence were preferable. Nobody wants to be the guy who accidentally spoils the show for everyone, and I think that fear is the place that the OP may be coming from. In the best case scenario the theory will be absolute nonsense.

Archived