[SPOILERS] The Regency of Aegon III

Lord Varys

That's for The Aftermath, the Under the Regents chapters, and The Lysene Spring.

And, I might add, for speculation about what our grand broken king and his precocious brother (and his wastrel son and paragon of virtue) have to face from 137 AC onwards.

Well, Ran and Linda have told us for ages that they really like the precocious fellow, so we knew something about him must have been very likable. But I daresay I like the Shadow more, if you get my meaning...

38 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

Well, Ran and Linda have told us for ages that they really like the precocious fellow, so we knew something about him must have been very likable. But I daresay I like the Shadow more, if you get my meaning...

Viserys did tell Ser Amaury not to come any closer . . . .  xD

40 minutes ago, King Aegon I Targaryen said:

Viserys did tell Ser Amaury not to come any closer . . . .  xD

What can one expect from those blasted, robbing, scheming, dreadful Peakes?

26 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

What can one expect of those blasted, robbing, scheming, dreadful Peakes?

Yeah, after reading page after page of Unwin Peake being . . . . well, Unwin Peake, it was very satisfying to see all his plans get foiled by the likes of Aegon III, Viserys, Baela & Rhaena, and Alyn Velaryon.  

Oh, not all his plans have been foiled. He is still out there. But note that Lord Unwin has no son to take his castles. They will come for him. And somebody will take his stolen blade, too. Gormy didn't have it with at Whitewalls. The reason the Peakes are still around for the Blackfyre rebellions and stuff, strongly indicates, in my opinion, that there were branches of the family who cut their ties with Lord Unwin in time, possibly even helping him to find the way into his grave.

I expect him to be part of some scheme revolving around one of the fake Daerons and finding his end there.

9 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

Oh, not all his plans have been foiled. He is still out there. But note that Lord Unwin has no son to take his castles. They will come for him. And somebody will take his stolen blade, too. Gormy didn't have it with at Whitewalls. The reason the Peakes are still around for the Blackfyre rebellions and stuff, strongly indicates, in my opinion, that there were branches of the family who cut their ties with Lord Unwin in time, possibly even helping him to find the way into his grave.

I expect him to be part of some scheme revolving around one of the fake Daerons and finding his end there.

Yeah, as much as I hated him, he was fun to read about. I hope to see more of his future schemes. 

Interesting as well that Rhaena was Jeyne Arryn's Ward.  Seems sensible enough of an idea given Rhaena being close to the throne and an heir whilst Aegon had no children needed to get a suitable education and what better way to learn than from a ruling Lady Paramount. 

7 hours ago, DanaKz said:

Spoil it to me please: what the matter of Rhaena and her Hightower husband? Who is he and how come they wed?

As @The Wandering Wolf said. Garmund is only mentioned once, I think, he seems to be pretty young when the Dance end, as he serves as a page at Highgarden. This caused me to wonder whether this Targaryen-Hightower match is going to be a love match since it was not arranged while the regents basically called the shots. Alyn-Baela is Baela's way out of an arranged marriage the regents and Hand decided for her (it was supposed to be Thaddeus Rowan). Afterwards the regents gave Rhaena a choice among her worthy suitors, and she chose Corwyn Corbray whom she had known since her time as Lady Jeyne's ward.

I don't think, though, Aegon III is going to push or press or force his half-sister to marry a Hightower of Oldtown - that is only going to happen if Rhaena is really inclined to do so. Especially since there seems to be a considerable age gap between Garmund and his future wife.

1 hour ago, King Aegon I Targaryen said:

I also found it interesting that Baela Targaryen and Alyn Oakenfist's daughter, Laena Velaryon got a chunk of her arm bitten off by her newly hatched dragon. So was this the start of the end for dragons? 

It was at least the first freak dragon we see. I think the first *poisoned eggs* we see are those sent to KL by the new maester of Dragonstone at King Aegon II's command who wants 'a new Sunfyre' rather than try to mount Silverwing (which the cripple could neither reach nor mount at this point, anyway). Assuming there are *poisoned eggs* at all. The freak dragon sort of points in that direction.

But since Morning is hale and healthy and Rhaena a new dragonrider and Silverwing and the Cannibal are both still out there - and there is a good chance that Aegon III and Viserys will have to deal with a very dangerous pretender in the foreseeable future (I think in the mid-140s or as late as around 150 AC, if George really wants to play out the thing he planted very sinister seeds for) - I think the final blow to the dragon thing will come in when the last dragonriders clash one final time. Viserys can claim one of the great dragons, and their enemy the other, and Viserys would be helped by Rhaena and Morning. If all three dragons were to die in that fight, they would indeed be down to (freak) hatchlings and eggs.

1 hour ago, naseridrl said:

Black Aly certainly sounds like a hell of a lady.  Whether friends or lovers with Sabitha Vypren, like seemed to have been drawn to like with those two.  She and Cregan I'm sure made for a formidable couple.

It is to be hoped that Cregan and Aly continue to be secondary main characters during an account on the reign of Aegon III and beyond. Just as Alyn, Baela, Rhaena and many other people we meet in the Dance permanently joined the ensemble in the Regency material.

1 hour ago, Mrs.Grumpy said:

Anything new about Alys Rivers??

Oh, a lot about her. Much more than anyone would have expected.

Archived