Canadian Politics: Revenge of the small minds

maarsen

5 minutes ago, TrueMetis said:

Question, why do conservatives have such a problem with Justin Trudeau dancing? Honestly they seem more pissed off about all the times he danced than dressing up in Blackface. At least when they whine about him being near or hugging women that makes a sort of sense. Conservatives are sexually repressed and can't wrap their head around women having autonomy so they think it's just the action that the problem. Not whether or not the women involved was okay with it.

Repressed white people are repressed because they can't feel the rhythm in their hips. 

12 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Repressed white people are repressed because they can't feel the rhythm in their hips. 

I mean, I can't really either, but all I feel is envy at someone being able to ignore that voice in their head telling them how stupid they look so they can have some fun.

... Everybody else has that right?

14 hours ago, TrueMetis said:

I mean, I can't really either, but all I feel is envy at someone being able to ignore that voice in their head telling them how stupid they look so they can have some fun.

... Everybody else has that right?

I thought you weren’t white though.

13 minutes ago, TrueMetis said:

My skin is white, ethnically Métis, though raised in a primarily white community. Which does tend to lead to some... let's call them oddities.

Lol, I get that. I’m Jewish and look like Hitler’s ideal Aryan.

1 hour ago, TrueMetis said:

So is any here familiar with Free the Press Canada?

https://freethepresscanada.org/2019/09/23/dirty-tricks-behind-trudeau-brownface-blackface-scandal/

It's alleging some trickery in the release of the photo's of Trudeau, thoughts?

Thanks for that fascinating link! Looks like foreign interference in our election has happened loud and clear. I’d like to see the Globe and Mail spend even half the time getting to the bottom of this story that they spent on SNC.

Munk debate cancelled because Trudeau won't go. It's almost like the entire thing was just a set up so they could dunk on Trudeau.

Also isn't is amazing how many people are denouncing Trudeau's blackface... by saying and doing some really racist shit?

I like how everyone always talks about how our cell phone bills are too high. Note - when I was in Dublin I got a SIM card for the spare phone I bought to play Pokémon, because Virgin wanted $12 a day to use my regular phone. My American friends said their cell phone providers charge $10 a day for the same service. 15€ for one month and 15 GBs.

Anyway, I used to get my home phone, internet and cell phone from Bell and my cable tv from Rogers. A Bell rep walking around the neighbourhood got me to change to Bell Fibe, the ‘better’ package. The bill was reasonable at first, then started climbing by leaps and bounds. And because I was playing Pokémon Go I found I was constantly running out of data before the end of the month, I only had 2 GBs. (I’m at 2.2 so far this month) I made the rounds and switched to Virgin. For the same money I get 8 GBs, iirc, and I never run out. And when I need help they’re friendly as all hell. And now Bell is trying to get cell phone customers back and Virgin (owned by Bell) has dropped the price $15 a month to $65 (‘a temporary credit’; we’ll see).

But back to the Bell bill. At one point I was paying $175 a month with taxes. My last bill was $325, and I don’t even have Fibe internet. So when a Rogers crew was door knocking just before I went to Worldcon and offered home phone, Ignite internet and basic cable + 30 channels that I can change for other channels every month, for $150, $175 after tax (sounds familiar, right?) with a promise the prices won’t go up  because it’s not a time-limited deal (I know they’ll eventually go up) I decided to take it, even though I hate Rogers. (Long story) The sales rep assured me they now have a concierge service to look after accounts and I would be very happy with the new service. He told me everything would be taken care by Rogers with regard to my Bell accounts. My savings would be just under $1,800 a year, enough to pay for a trip to TitanCon in Belfast if I decide to go next year.

The installer came in a week and a half ago, changed everything over, and again assured me everything had been looked after except that I would have to call Bell to ask them for a box to ship the modem back. I took a week to call Bell while I tried to figure out whether I was happy, and finally I called Bell on Friday. Turns out only my phone was switched, they had never been contacted about the internet or Bell Fibe. Also, while my Ignite Fire might have a speed of a 100 or 150, if other people in my area sign up we all share the line and so speed drops proportionally. FFS, really, FFS, all my ill-will  towards Rogers came back. Bell, the rep said, will let me keep my old ‘better’ package,  since technically I was never gone, they would change the wiring so my internet comes from Bell Fibe instead of the phone line, super fast and all my own, no sharing, and my home phone would get my old number back and would from henceforth be permanently free. For $12 a month less than Rogers. However, he said, the internet price will go up next year but I’ll still get a 30% credit so I won’t pay the full price.

So now I’m sitting here watching the Bell guy change everything back. And I’m still $1,800 ahead, which I would not be if I had stayed with Bell, who called me relentlessly to upgrade my internet for $10 bucks a month more.

I tell you, it pays to get pissed off. It’s all greed, just greed, by the big guys. I bet Telus is just the same. If my Bell bill climbs back up, maybe I’ll switch back to Rogers.

Honestly, give the importance of phones and the internet they should really be national infrastructure like roads, but then given the predilection for under funding those things the service might not be all that better. Be nice to be able to threaten my MP with voting them out when my internet was slow though.

Seriously though, shit show that it is my options for internet are Virgin and Bell. So literally no options. Well unless your going with one of those stupid ones no one has ever heard of that charge $100 with a tiny data cap and stupid low data speeds.

If Trudeau promised to smash internet de-facto monopolies and invest in internet infrastructure he could wear blackface now and I'd still vote for him*

*not even sure if I'm kidding.

I have Telus for my phone and 10 GB of data. It's not super cheap but not bad and since I use it for work it's deductible.

A few years ago the Rogers people came to my door and I agreed to switch from Bell Aliant. I signed up. The next day Bell Aliant called me to see what they could do to keep my business - and I got free HBO/Crave/TMN plus an additional credit for 3 years... I feel like that's the only time they respond. And I'm glad I never ended up down the Rogers path. 

Scheer is a fool and yet another one of those careerist hacks who's never done a thing of value outside politics. 

I have Telus and the 10GB too. I seldom use over 3GB but a few free data upgrades over the years by threatening to leave every time they have a promo offering it super cheap paid dividends. Had Bell years ago, it was ass.

---

re: CDN politics, the possible progressive split in Ontario and Quebec is making me nervous.

I live in Alberta, so a lot of my 'friends' are UCP/Conservative supporters. It's gotten to the point where few of them invite me to bigger gatherings because when I dig in I 'make them feel bad.' lol

Suffice it to say, I've cut loose pretty much all of those who don't have other redeeming qualities.    

Surely something can be done on the phone front. I had 40gb for $40 on my old plan back in Australia, the guys at Telus laughed at me when I asked if I could get anything comparable here!

Internet wise I have a relatively no-name provider but I get unlimited data at good speeds. Maybe that is only something you can get in the GTA?

14 minutes ago, Paxter said:

Surely something can be done on the phone front. I had 40gb for $40 on my old plan back in Australia, the guys at Telus laughed at me when I asked if I could get anything comparable here!

Internet wise I have a relatively no-name provider but I get unlimited data at good speeds. Maybe that is only something you can get in the GTA?

When did you move to Canada? Welcome! Or are you a returning Canuck?

And who do you use?

So Andrew Scheer lied about being an insurance broker. My what riveting scandals we have here in Canada. More seriously such a thing apparently violates the Saskatchewan Insurance Act, and if he put down insurance broker on his security clearance forms his clearance could be revoked. Really, though is there anything the guy doesn't lie about?

In other news protests broke out against Bernier, Rubin and their proud boy "security". The Alt-Right is apparently very pissy about some of the protesters standing in front some old people. Protesters were arrested, but then released. One wonders wtf the Hamilton police are doing.

I got into quite a back-and-forth on line with Conservatives and "I'm not a Conservative but" types. I pointed out that if you left your job at an insurance firm before you became accredited at no time did you ever 'work' as an insurance broker. I also said it begs the question if he actually passed the exam. But then I read the actual Globe and Mail story, and his campaign said that Sheer did clerical tasks like handing out license plates and collecting fees. What, he worked at a Ministry of Transport office? How is that working as an insurance broker?

I see Saskatchewan is a province with mandatory public insurance. So Sheer worked for the MoT office essentially. Geez, he wasn't even out in the private sector trying to get business, business came to the office, lol. 

2 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

When did you move to Canada? Welcome! Or are you a returning Canuck?

And who do you use?

Newbie here (from Australia) ;). Arrived a few months ago and living here for a year. Will be an interested bystander in the October election. 

Archived