Canadian Politics: Revenge of the small minds

maarsen

2 hours ago, Paxter said:

Newbie here (from Australia) ;). Arrived a few months ago and living here for a year. Will be an interested bystander in the October election. 

The politicians here seem to be doing their best to make it interesting for you. 

2 hours ago, maarsen said:

The politicians here seem to be doing their best to make it interesting for you. 

We've been through five Prime Ministers in the last six years...Canada is actually a refreshing change!

1 hour ago, TrueMetis said:

OMG the house hippo is back!

OMFG that's awesome!!  :wub: . Although I read the board pretty much every day, I haven't posted in forever. Started a few replies before, and end up going "meh" and deleting them. Brought back by the house hippo!

As to the phone/Internet costs here, yeah it sucks. We have Koodo for phones, and its just shy of $100 after tax for both of us on one plan. Mr. Tyr has 2GB of data, and I have the lowest possible at 250MB (I very, very rarely Internet on my phone). For Internet, we have a small local provider that uses Eastlink's infrastructure for $65 a month after tax. It's unlimited though, and there's never been any real issues with speed, so that's something I guess. Especially since we cut out cable about six years ago, so everything we watch is online.

As for the election, bah. I still don't know who to vote for. Never the cons, but I'm torn between the other three, and keep changing my mind. I'm pretty sure the Liberal candidate will be re-elected in my riding anyway, and I'm ok with that.

Also, welcome to Canada, Paxter!

Word. 

Welcome, Paxter. :)

---

This penchant for Conservative parties not releasing their platforms until late in election lead up [if at all] needs to be legislatively dealt with, I think. Ford did, Kenney did it, now Scheer.

Gotta stay of twitter for a while, the sneering about Trudeau being just a "drama teacher" even if it was true makes me want to stab people. Just what the fuck is wrong with people that they hold *teachers* in such contempt?

1 hour ago, TrueMetis said:

Gotta stay of twitter for a while, the sneering about Trudeau being just a "drama teacher" even if it was true makes me want to stab people. Just what the fuck is wrong with people that they hold *teachers* in such contempt?

As far as I can tell, it’s because he wasn’t a ‘real teacher’.

I curate my twitter feed, but I do have couple hate follows [Brett Wilson, Poilievre, Raitt, Akin, etc] that make things annoying sometimes. 

The teacher thing gets to me too, My late mom was a teacher for 35+ years. 

23 minutes ago, JEORDHl said:

I curate my twitter feed, but I do have couple hate follows [Brett Wilson, Poilievre, Raitt, Akin, etc] that make things annoying sometimes. 

The teacher thing gets to me too, My late mom was a teacher for 35+ years. 

I had a bunch of great teacher's in high school, and a couple of crappy ones. But either way the impact they had on me had nothing to do with the subject they taught. A great drama teacher will have a far greater and more positive impact than a crappy or even meh math teacher ever could.

Agreed. My favorites in Jr High were from social studies and drama. They rocked, as individuals first. Then as teachers.

The hilariously disingenuous thing about all the drama teacher crap is Conservatives fixated on that in particular in order to undermine him-- but he only subbed for drama. Trudeau was actually a Math and French teacher, iirc.  

So the conservatives lost last nights debate really badly. At this point their propaganda machine is doing so badly they're reduced to clutching at straws over the Liberal campaign's use of 2 planes (gasp!) and a picture showing that Scheer has never played baseball in his life.

Lol, the Liberal campaign is using two planes and buying carbon offset credits! No mention of that. When Sheer flies, he doesn’t buy offset credits, because, you know, they don’t believe in acknowledging carbon in any way, shape or form. Even if you wonder about carbon offset credits, the Cons just say f** k that shit!

#TwoPlaneTrudeau is actually trending. Jesus we are a boring country aren't we? I mean I suppose on one level this is a good thing if our scandals are so minor. Really between this and the PPC not being able to breach 3% that's ultimately a sign of things going well. But honestly I expected better from the cons and putin when it came to propaganda.

And Andrew Scheer has duel Canadian/American citizenship. So it seems to me every accusation or attack conservatives make is in fact something they did. Which given some of the more disgusting accusation made, makes me highly concerned.

22 hours ago, TrueMetis said:

And Andrew Scheer has duel Canadian/American citizenship. So it seems to me every accusation or attack conservatives make is in fact something they did. Which given some of the more disgusting accusation made, makes me highly concerned.

Every rime he opens his mouth something silly comes out. "I work as an insurance agent" but no he did it as a summer job and was an office clerk.

"We can't trust people with dual citizenship because we do not know where their loyalties lie" but no again, as Scheer has dual citizenship.

"I have a degree from the University of Regina" but no his degree was issued by the University of Ottawa. 

The man comes across as terminally stupid as he does not even know himself.

Does anybody know wtf is going on with the Indigenous Children settlement thing? Depending on who's talking either,

The liberal government is asking for a judicial review in order to get clarification for how exactly they need to meet the terms of the court ruling.

The liberal government is appealing the ruling and asking for it to be dismissed.

The liberal government is actually doing nothing, and it's the caretaker government and AG who is acting in such a way as to keep the next governments options open.

It's allegedly the latter. However, best practice imo would've been to let the deadline lapse to make it more difficult for the Conservatives to appeal [in the event they win Oct 21st]  

On 10/4/2019 at 8:54 PM, maarsen said:

Every rime he opens his mouth something silly comes out. "I work as an insurance agent" but no he did it as a summer job and was an office clerk.

I like to think of him more as Ryan-the-Temp from The Office. Though Ryan had an MBA...

22 hours ago, TrueMetis said:

Does anybody know wtf is going on with the Indigenous Children settlement thing? Depending on who's talking either,

The liberal government is asking for a judicial review in order to get clarification for how exactly they need to meet the terms of the court ruling.

The liberal government is appealing the ruling and asking for it to be dismissed.

The liberal government is actually doing nothing, and it's the caretaker government and AG who is acting in such a way as to keep the next governments options open.

As near as I can tell, they're appealing the ruling. Insofar as who "they" are, it's the current government/cabinet. We do not have "caretaker" governments as only Parliament is dissolved during an election - the government carries on.

There are rumors now floating around that Trudeau slept with a 17 year old student when he taught at Point Grey, which is why he left the school. And that he has obtained an injunction against the Globe and Mail preventing them from printing the story tomorrow.

There are also stories that the Globe and Mail has sat on stories, waiting to release them until they can do the most harm. Remember, I said the timing of the SNC Lavalin story must have been linked to the election call. And the Globe reporter who broke the Sheer insurance agent story confirmed that he waited to release the story to give maximum damage. 

If true, that’s going to be a helluva a bombshell.

The way I heard it it was supposed to have been released yesterday. At least that was what noted piece of shit Warren Kinsella was hinting. Of course a letter from the then headmaster of the school saying he wasn't dismissed and left on good terms with them seems to be what quashed that story. With the injunction story being them scrambling to have something to smear Trudeau with.

Archived