Canadian Politics: Revenge of the small minds

maarsen

17 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Please don’t make us look up your damn links. At least have the courtesy of quoting some part of them so we can decide whether or not we want to read them.

May has unsurprisingly stepped down as Greens leader. Makes sense to me - Canada's Greens should probably take the lead from other Green parties by promoting younger leaders with broader policy agendas. 

33 minutes ago, TrueMetis said:

Don Cherry assholed one time to many and has lost his job. Of course he's 85 and a millionaire so... :dunno:.

TBH, I has assumed he was already dead.

He probably should have only worn blackface instead of making some sort of rambling vaguely not pro diversity comment.  

Is it a thing in Canada where it's acceptable to be racist against people of African descent but every other minority is a protected class?  Unless the rule is you can do whatever you want if and only if you're a darling of the left, I cant wrap my head around it.  Probably Trump's fault...

8 minutes ago, mcbigski said:

He probably should have only worn blackface instead of making some sort of rambling vaguely not pro diversity comment.  

Is it a thing in Canada where it's acceptable to be racist against people of African descent but every other minority is a protected class?  Unless the rule is you can do whatever you want if and only if you're a darling of the left, I cant wrap my head around it.  Probably Trump's fault...

No, what is a thing in Canada though is that if you fuck up you're expected to apologize and take responsibility for your actions. I do understand that Republicans have trouble with that idea.

3 hours ago, mcbigski said:

Jesus Christ I really do hate using ” both sides” but seriously do tell me how hard Republicans are pushing to have the governor of Alabama to re-sign or outed from her seat? https://www.npr.org/2019/08/29/755649657/alabama-gov-kay-ivey-apologizes-for-wearing-blackface-during-college-skit

Because from what I gather their response is to choose to ignore it. 

I think both of them should have resigned with an apology after this was uncovered. 

But sure, pretend making gross generalizations of immigrants of being ungrateful parasites is totally not xenophobic because someone important on the left also did something racist at one point. 

Trump retweeted literal white-supremachist propaganda, multiple times, assumed congresswomen of color weren't born in America, and gave press-credentials to literal neo-nazis during his campaign. But Trudeau did something racist too. 

• 3 weeks later...

The knives are out for Andrew Scheer now. He is losing support faster than he lost the election. Now the next problem for the Cons is who do they get to replace him? The guys who came 2nd and 3rd were train wrecks waiting to happen.

I suspect that if the Cons go through the same leader selection as gave them Scheer, then they will be doomed to abject failure. Using write in ballots available to all members of the party makes it to easy for the looney fringe to become a force as there is no cost to being stupid. People who live in their parent's basements are not the people who can spend money on being a convention delegate. 

One can only hope that they don't realize this and once again find a clown such as Doug Ford. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just came here to post that. But the reason! He used party money to fund the private school fees for his kids.

During the election a lot of people made comments about how Sheer could afford sending all his kids to private school, comments I brushed off as just nasty. But I was wrong.

eta: although the stories have not mentioned how much money is involved. The amount is essentially irrelevant, but still...

46 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Just came here to post that. But the reason! He used party money to fund the private school fees for his kids.

During the election a lot of people made comments about how Sheer could afford sending all his kids to private school, comments I brushed off as just nasty. But I was wrong.

eta: although the stories have not mentioned how much money is involved. The amount is essentially irrelevant, but still...

CBC didn't give the reason when I posted. Thanks for the update. I never liked Scheer as I considered him a weaselly  Harper Lite. Now this. Him being such a religious person that he could not support gay marriage and all.  There is no prohibition in the 10 Commandments against gay marriage but there is one on coveting your neighbour's stuff and bearing false witness. I guess he goes back to being an office boy for an insurance broker again. If they will have him now. 

I keep thinking on Scheer's resignation. He resigned because the Cons helped pay for his kids to attend a private Catholic school. Ontario has a publicly funded Catholic school board but the must follow the public curriculum especially as it relates to human rights and gay rights specifically. Is Scheer so against this that he won't let his kids be exposed to it? All the more reason to see the back of him as he leaves.

• 1 month later...

The Conservative leadership race may be interesting this time around. There is growing concern, apparently, that someone not from the west might possibly become leader. Oh, the horror!

First of all, the traitor Peter MacKay is running. Sorry, the words 'traitor' and 'Peter MacKay' are a natural fit.

Second, Stephen Harper has resigned from the Conservative Fund so that he can dedicate himself to blocking Jean Charest from winning. Not surprising, since Charest constantly attacked Harper when Harper was PM for his position on the environment.

Should you have forgotten, Harper aligned the country with the US, taking the position that it would be stupid for Canada to do anything the Americans weren't doing, thereby bearing expenses the Americans didn't have. Charest, on the other hand, believes climate change is the most critical issue we face today.

Can you imagine anyone from the west voting for someone who believes we have to take action against climate change? It hardly seems worth Harper resigning from the Fund. Apparently Charest called Harper and asked for his approval for running for the leadership, and Harper told him 'it's not the Progressive Conservative Party anymore', and told him, basically, to drop dead.

Oh, the horror if someone who believes in climate change gets elected!

I assume Kenney will resign his position and run. And win.

None of the seeming front runners for CPC leadership seem to have any better chance of beating Trudeau than Scheer did, so that's good news.

ETA: Also there's a $300000 dollar cost to run for leadership. And the CPC has the fucking gall to do the Republican style "we're against the elitists" horseshit.

On 1/16/2020 at 11:53 AM, TrueMetis said:

None of the seeming front runners for CPC leadership seem to have any better change of beating Trudeau than Scheer did, so that's good news.

My surface-level analysis is that there are just not enough ridings in Western Canada for a Scheer-type candidate to cause the Liberals many problems. Maybe if Ford falls in 2022 then they can pick up more seats in ON than they did last year. I just don't really know what the Conservatives' electoral path to (minority) victory would actually be. 

On 1/20/2020 at 11:21 AM, Paxter said:

My surface-level analysis is that there are just not enough ridings in Western Canada for a Scheer-type candidate to cause the Liberals many problems. Maybe if Ford falls in 2022 then they can pick up more seats in ON than they did last year. I just don't really know what the Conservatives' electoral path to (minority) victory would actually be. 

People in Ontario and Quebec do vote Conservative for the right candidate. The party pulled Jason Kenney, Premier of Alberta, into Ontario to campaign. They shut down Doug Ford, the premier of Ontario, for four whole months because he's a village idiot and already is being hated by the people who voted for him, so Conservative hopes don't look too high, but let's see if the Conservatives get another majority in 3 years.

Back in the leadership race, Charest has dropped out, I guess Harper telling him it isn't the Progressive Conservative party anymore worked. I wonder if Harper jumps back to the Conservative Fund now.

Rona Ambrose has announced she's not running, much to the shock of the people who were rooting for her.

Pierre Poilievre had some big backers, including John Baird and Harper's former co-campaign chair, I forget her name, (Susan Burns?) and his run was going to be kicked off on Sunday. He literally just announced on Facebook that he wouldn't run, 'for family reasons'.

There's a right-wing nut case who's running named Decarie who started his campaign by saying that being homosexual was a choice. That brought a pretty swift reaction from Conservatives who said they'd never serve someone who espoused that belief. He's on tv right now, partly walking that back by saying he's sorry if he offended anyone (!!!) and then he's gone on to say that he's getting a lot of support and money from "people who think like me" ever since he got all the publicity. In this CBC interview he's also said that if he was PM, he would order the federal government to tell the provinces that no health care dollars that come from the federal government can be used to provide abortions, because "pregnancy is not an illness and abortion is not a cure". You just know these assholes are out there, voting Conservative. And I'm saying that as a Catholic.

So right now Peter mackay seems to be the front runner. He speaks French well and apparently is popular among Quebec Conservatives. But he is also a village idiot.

Archived